Riding with helmet flipped up

GSGRIFF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just got my first modular/flip up helmet (schuberth c3) and really pleased with it. I’m wondering if anyone rides with their helmet in the raised position or do you only use it when stationary/off the bike?

I ride with mine (BMW helmet) flipped up most of the time, And not just short distances, once rode an 800 mile day in spain with it flipped up.

Do you have neck muscles the size of my thighs Steptoe ..??!!

No because of wind resistance and looking a bit silly (System 6). However, I believe the Shark helmets look
OK and offer better wind resistance when flipped up than most makes. So for me it's all about helmet selection.
Me personally..... In summer it's open face and winter I change to full face flip up.

Occasionally in town, but be aware that only the new Shoei Neotec 2 (apart from the Shark) is homologated to be used open. Although you would have to meet a very grumpy officer to get nicked :)

Until I can’t stand the wind noise :D

I will ride with it open occasionally, but always thought it would be possible to get it hooked on something if ever I came off, but I’m probably paranoid.

:blast

Like boarding the Chunnel...!!

If you ride with it flipped up most/all of the time would it not be sensible to buy a lightweight open face helmet? More comfortable, cheaper, lighter and safer.

Don't ride through Leicester with your flip open https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-51078125 :eek:

Some helmets are designed and approved to be used with the flip up, but not all (I can't remember if the C3 is). At slow speeds (30's) I quite liked opening mine for some fresh air.

RBW.

Correct RBW and i know my flip front falls into that category, Shoei Multitec is NOT designed to be used with the front flipped up. So if im warm, i just open the visor.

I've got a Neotec 2 and add mentioned above, it's deemed 'safe' to ride with it like that unlike the Neotec 1.

Saying that, I only ride with it up at low speeds. In traffic for example or when it's really hot. But the minute I get moving properly, tbe front comes down. I've had a few offs over the years - none for years thankfully - so I'm not wild about the idea of a spill and the front being up... If I'm moving (say 30+) I just lift the visor, but actually the Neotec has good vents that work better when the visor is down!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom