Stolen Akrapovic exhaust

BillyYo

Reaction score
Hi All,

My 1st post... picked up my f850GS Sport at the weekend. Love it!

On my way to work this morning I thought to myself that the exhaust was %$£*ing loud. When I got to work I notice that there's no exhaust :mad::mad::mad:

Seems like someone sneaked into my underground car park and removed it over night. I've owned the bike less than 2 days.

MCE say that my excess is £2,000 so there's no point making a claim for something under that. What a joke.

I don't think I'll replace it with another Akrapovic as It will just be nicked again. Anyone have suggestions? how can these be so easy to remove?

For now I think I will just pick up a 2nd hand stock one on ebay to get me by

Cheers

Bastards!
I think I’ve got a standard F800 exhaust if it fits, you could try the person you bought the bike from and see if they kept the OE.

Bastards!
I think I’ve got a standard F800 exhaust if it fits, you could try the person you bought the bike from and see if they kept the OE.

I have a standard 800 gsa exhaust in the garage if it is any good to you, if the 800 stocks fits, no reason why the stock 800 gsa wouldn’t fit also, you might want to check with Bmw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this. The Akra on the 850 isn't that much fruitier than the standard can as most of the sound deadening is done by the mid chamber underneath the bike. Trick is to keep the stock end can and change the mid chamber for a straight through. I have a Remus mid pipe available if you are interested.

Thanks Guys,

Quick update on this. CCTV shows the exhaust wasn't stolen from my car park as it wasn't on the bike when I got home from work. Checked the work CCTV cameras and the exhaust was on it when I set off.

Not sure how common it is for these things to simply fall off... maybe the dealership had taken it off while getting the bike ready and not tightened it. I hope this will be covered by the warranty.

Thanks for the offers of the F800 pipes. I wonder if those would fit as they moved the exhaust to the RHS on the 850...

This is comical. :D

I remember one of my Akra baffles was lost when I couldn't get the retaining bolt to catch so just pushed the baffle home and left it at that but never have I heard anyone's Akra falling off mid ride :jes

This is comical. :D

....but never have I heard anyone's Akra falling off mid ride

The innards of the exhaust on my 125 Casal blew out, along the A5 between London and Weedon. I certainly noticed.... as did people in Tasmania.... Fixed eventually by ramming a beer tin in to replace whatever it was that blew out.

Sorry to hear this, I’m sure you must have known how much your excess was so it’s no surprise that the insurance wont cough up. It seems inconceivable that the silencer could fall off whilst you were riding without realising it, but assuming that’s what happened I assume you have looked for it.

I haven’t priced one up recently but there are other options such as Arrow, which will be significantly less expensive.

I had a Suzuki GT380 in 1976 and the exhaust note became noticeably louder one evening: this seemed to me to coincide with the introduction a tank of 5 star petrol. Great, must be putting out more power!:D Let’s see what it’ll do down the M6. One holed center piston later, at the side of the road I noticed a missing baffle from one of the centre pot split exhausts. Apparently two strokes need back pressure to stop them from running weak and over heating. :blast
Alan R

The left hand silencer fell off of my R80RT as I accelerated away from a junction a few years back. That was quite noticeable; a marked increase in engine note, a loud "clang" and the horn of the car behind me.

I stopped and bolted it back on. It's not fallen off since.

BMWs had decent toolkits back then.

Just get the stock can. I’ve got an Akra on my F850GS and it is the least impressive aftermarket can I’ve ever had. The stock can actually sounds better. re: insurance for me both Bennetts and Carole Nash were around half the price of MCE with a £250 excess.

The "silencer" on my old Harley fell off once as rode up Lisson Grove. Instantly noticeable by the old girl waiting at the bus stop collapsing with a heart attack and bleeding ears.

Picked it up, kicked it back on and cable tied the exhaust bracket around the footrest. And that's how it stayed until i sold it.

Sorry to hear this, I’m sure you must have known how much your excess was so it’s no surprise that the insurance wont cough up. It seems inconceivable that the silencer could fall off whilst you were riding without realising it, but assuming that’s what happened I assume you have looked for it.

For some naive reason I thought the 2,000 excess was only regarding the theft of the full Bike...:blast

I did hear a some kind of metallic tinny sound on my ride home. Thought that couldn't be off my bike as I've no top box or anything attached on the back of the bike and there were no cars behind me. It was raining hard and I had music playing and I wanted to keep my eyes front as it's a new bike.

As I'd had the bike 2 days I wasn't familiar with the sound of it and just thought "wow this akro is a bit of a beast, not sure why everyone was saying they were so limp...." I ride 8 miles from SW to NE London so I assume someone found it during the 24 hours I thought it had been nicked. Keeping an eye on the sides of the road and the internet for it but I've little hope.

The "silencer" on my old Harley fell off once as rode up Lisson Grove. Instantly noticeable by the old girl waiting at the bus stop collapsing with a heart attack and bleeding ears.

Picked it up, kicked it back on and cable tied the exhaust bracket around the footrest. And that's how it stayed until i sold it.

Don't worry folks - I hear spannering standards have risen latterly ............ http://www.gsshop.biz/

UPDATE:

After checking CCTV outside my kids nursery it actually does show someone stealing the exhaust. I was inside for about 20 mins and the dude didn't even need 50 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom