Project XCountry

So it was valve shim change time to get the tolerances back in line.....so this time a very accurate measure

RH Exhaust measured 0.33mm and LH Exhaust 0.34 (tolerance is 0.25mm-0.33mm)

RH Inlet measured 0.07mm and LH Inlet 0.11 (tolerance is 0.03mm-0.11mm)

Cam Chain tie wrapped to Cam Shaft sprockets

Cam locking bolt inserted to lock engine at TDC

Paint marked sprocket locations with white paint marker dots

Removed Cam Chain "Bow"

Removed Cam Chain Tensioner (22mm Head bolt and then tensioner itself) to give some slack in chain

Moved inlet and exhaust camshafts out of camshaft support bracket and removed top and bottom halves of bracket

Removed valve lifter - I use a magnet as it makes it nice an easy , then removed the shims from inside the lifters

Measured the shims and the inlet were 2.7mm and the exhaust 2.65mm

So I will put the 2.7mm inlet shims into the exhaust lifters , that will close them up by 0.05 mm and get them to 0.29mm and 0.28mm respectively so both nicely in specification

I then needed to order one 2.75mm and one additional 2.7mm shim to use in the inlet lifters to close them up by 0.05mm and get them to 0.06mm and 0.07mm

Rang BMW and no 2.75mm shims in the UK , German stock so a week away :-(

However Lind Motorrad in Norwich are showing stock of three . A quick call and spoke to Colin who went and checked and they did have them

After paying my £12 bill they are coming to me First Class post so Royal Mail dependant I should get them in the morning - many thanks to Lind Motorrad for sorting it out

After all that fun I had a couple of hours out to deliver my seat to Les at Saddlecraft in South Shields . ETA for getting it back is early February

A trip to the Powder coaters in the morning and then continue with the cleaning /checking/refurbishing of parts

John you don't hang about when you get started,what are you going to do next month:D
It's going to be little cracker ,nice one.

John you don't hang about when you get started,what are you going to do next month:D
It's going to be little cracker ,nice one.

I must be my early past influencing my work rate , when I originally served my time we were all on "piece work" so got paid for what you produced hence why I like getting stuck in with a job LOL

Awesome work rate John, great photos, thanks for posting

John, where did you get those heat shields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dropped the frame and swinging arm etc at the Powder Coaters and agreed on a pearlescent blue - RAL 5026 - Pearl Night Blue (Perlnachtblau)

Fitted the new valve shims and all the valve clearances all nicely set now

Fitted the new clutch parts

Rest of day spent cleaning and refurbishing parts ready for re-assembly

Things will slow down/stop after tomorrow as I will be waiting to get the bits back from the Powder Coaters and I'm away for a week with work :-(

Great thread John, what make is the engine stand ? And where did you find it ?
Cheers Steve.

Stripped down the forks to change the oil , fork seals and dust shields . Previous owner had complained about a soft front end and had put progressive springs in . Well progressive springs were never going to fix the fact that one of the black nylon internal fork spacers was missing !

Someone had not read the manual which states " Pour the oil out of the fork leg, taking care not to lose spacer (5) when it drops out. Drain out all the oil into a suitable container"

Thankfully i have a couple of complete sets of spare forks as well as some other loose internal parts so a route around my spares and the missing spacer was no more . Front end should be a bit better behaved now .

Stripped down the forks to change the oil , fork seals and dust shields . Previous owner had complained about a soft front end and had put progressive springs in . Well progressive springs were never going to fix the fact that one of the black nylon internal fork spacers was missing !

Someone had not read the manual which states " Pour the oil out of the fork leg, taking care not to lose spacer (5) when it drops out. Drain out all the oil into a suitable container"

Thankfully i have a couple of complete sets of spare forks as well as some other loose internal parts so a route around my spares and the missing spacer was no more . Front end should be a bit better behaved now .

That blue spring looks a bit soft to me.....

Last jobs done before I go away for a week - wiring harness all cleaned and re-wrapped where needed with cloth loom tape . Panels for painting all sorted ready to drop off at painters w/c 3rd February (although my slot for getting them done is not intil last week in March)

You are so lucky to have somewhere like that to do this. The knowledge housed in that shed is also encyclopeadic. :thumby:

Lets hope my memory stays in tact as I have two piles of new and used parts to remember where they all go.....

Back
Top Bottom