Project XCountry

Changed the in tank fuel filter today , glad I did as a lot of dirt came out of the filter which is hardly surprising after 12 years of service !

The filter in the picture is the new one ready to go on dated 2019 the old one was dated 2008

Changed the in tank fuel filter today , glad I did as a lot of dirt came out of the filter which is hardly surprising after 12 years of service !

The filter in the picture is the new one ready to go on dated 2019 the old one was dated 2008

I could with doing that to both of mine. Is it an easy job?

Where do they live please?

Scruffy white one has in line fuel filters too. I shall replace them with those stainless mini filters I think, rather than the plastic ones on there at the moment. Unless you think the plastic ones with paper elements are OK. I don't know if they are sealed or replaceable. If sealed I will go the washable stainless route.

Have a guess :D

Changed the in tank fuel filter today

The clue was in the wording LOL

It's inside the petrol tank so just unscrew the metal retaining ring , disconnect the fuel line and the electrical connection and the pump just lifts straight out

Remove two retaining screws from the filter retention bracket and one fuel hose clamp (you will need a new one as they are one time use)

If you decide to do it , here are some links for the parts :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mahle-Fu...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikalor-...var=561285025824&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Foot peg lowering brackets arrived today so got those fitted

I'm now waiting on the painted panels so bike is covered up under its dust cover for a month until the end of March when I hopefully get the panels back

Nice project and look forward to seeing some pics outside when its completed :beerjug:

Just for those that think the G650 Series will never make 'Classic' status, or question the quality ...

i-cp4RJdg-L.jpg

Behind A is a rose joint :thumb

Behind B is a ball bearing pivot :thumb (no crappy plain bush that gunges up) :D

Behind C is the adjustment for the height of the brake lever :thumb

Sorry for butting in :augie

Now carry on John :thumby:

:beerjug:

Just for those that think the G650 Series will never make 'Classic' status, or question the quality ...

i-cp4RJdg-L.jpg

Behind B is a ball bearing pivot :thumb (no crappy plain bush that gunges up) :D

Yeah, just like my old KTM 640:beerjug:

Changed the in tank fuel filter today

The clue was in the wording LOL

It's inside the petrol tank so just unscrew the metal retaining ring , disconnect the fuel line and the electrical connection and the pump just lifts straight out

Remove two retaining screws from the filter retention bracket and one fuel hose clamp (you will need a new one as they are one time use)

If you decide to do it , here are some links for the parts :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mahle-Fu...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikalor-...var=561285025824&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I did wonder how you got in the tank. I had thought you had to take the tank off the bike, like with the 1150. Much better having the big hole at the top, rather than in the bottom like the normal petrol tanks have.

Yes, I will get round to replacing them. I shall order parts first, because I still need to be able to use it.
Thanks John.

i-cp4RJdg-L.jpg

I didn't know the brake lever height could be adjusted, until now!

I didn't know the brake lever height could be adjusted, until now!

Yes, but you MUST have a small amount of play between the operating rod at the rear of the brake lever, and where it goes in to the brake master cylinder. The piston of the master cylinder must be at rest!

Yes, but you MUST have a small amount of play between the operating rod at the rear of the brake lever, and where it goes in to the brake master cylinder. The piston of the master cylinder must be at rest!

Hence the adjustment on the rod.

OK - I tend to make myself fit the bike, rather than adjusting things to fit me! To change gear on the white one I have to lift my foot off the peg, I have just got used to it. It isn't like you are constantly snicking from one gear to the next, I get going, up through the box to whatever the traffic situation is, on the open B roads round here that means top gear and leave it alone, bimbling along at 50- 60mph in top using no fuel and looking over the hedges and in the woods, rather than at the road, it is a boring piece of grey tarmac with nothing interesting about it at all. The fields have hares and things in them, the trees have birds in them!

No word from John for a few days. I think the unveiling could be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No word from John for a few days. I think the unveiling could be close.

Quite a way off unfortunately - my painter is really busy and my slot is last week in March so I’m at least 4 weeks away from the big unveil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that, for all of us. I’m sure everyone is as keen as me to see the final results.

OK - I tend to make myself fit the bike, rather than adjusting things to fit me! To change gear on the white one I have to lift my foot off the peg, I have just got used to it. It isn't like you are constantly snicking from one gear to the next, I get going, up through the box to whatever the traffic situation is, on the open B roads round here that means top gear and leave it alone, bimbling along at 50- 60mph in top using no fuel and looking over the hedges and in the woods, rather than at the road, it is a boring piece of grey tarmac with nothing interesting about it at all. The fields have hares and things in them, the trees have birds in them!

With apologies to John for the Hi-jack ....

I fitted a mild steel gear change lever from the F650 ... much much better position for gear change :thumb

PLUS the standard gear lever is a really well made piece of art BUT if you have a tumble, and it takes a knock, it can, and has been known to, break the gear change shaft where it exits the gear box casing, virtually flush with the casing. This virtually renders the engine as scrap because it's a major major engine out and strip down to replace the shaft :eek:

i-dWt9LWK-L.jpg

i-CNrJVSv-L.jpg

Holes drilled to make it bendable in a spill, rather than sheer the shaft off ... can then be straightened easily enough :thumb

With apologies to John for the Hi-jack ....

I fitted a mild steel gear change lever from the F650 ... much much better position for gear change :thumb

PLUS the standard gear lever is a really well made piece of art BUT if you have a tumble, and it takes a knock, it can, and has been known to, break the gear change shaft where it exits the gear box casing. This virtually renders the engine as scrap because it's a major major engine out and strip down to replace the shaft :eek:

i-dWt9LWK-L.jpg

i-CNrJVSv-L.jpg

Holes drilled to make it bendable in a spill, rather than sheer the shaft off ... can then be straightened easily enough :thumb

Nice job Micky

I have upgraded all of my G650X's with F650GS gear levers

Nice job Micky

I have upgraded all of my G650X's with F650GS gear levers

:thumb

Pal Decky in Cork (Spanish wedding last September, and known as Dec on here) bought his pals G650X for 'spares' ... his pal had dropped the bike and the gear change shaft had broken off flush with the casing. The cost for his pal to have it repaired far exceeded the value of the 'bike :blast

:thumb

Pal Decky in Cork (Spanish wedding last September, and known as Dec on here) bought his pals G650X for 'spares' ... his pal had dropped the bike and the gear change shaft had broken off flush with the casing. The cost for his pal to have it repaired far exceeded the value of the 'bike :blast

Ah, but the VALUE of the bike far exceeds the £s attributed to it. In a pecuniary sense, I paid way too much for the Long Ranger, but the value to me is double that price. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom