Project XCountry

nicholsonj2252

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So after a 9 hour drive through the night last night I collected the XCountry at 7am this morning from Plymouth then drove 9 hours back to Northumberland with it in the back of a van

Thanks Andy for having it all ready for collection and for the quick turnaround as we were very time constrained

Bike is now on the lift ready for the strip down to commence from tomorrow

I'll keep the thread updated as I progress.......

There a few parts on it that I will not be using that I'll list in the for sale section - rear rack , DirtBagz Pannier Frames complete with soft panniers , BMW Scottoiler , Oxford heated grips, front crash bungs

I’m in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got into the tear down this afternoon with the panels , rear rack , rear frame , swinging arm , rear shock all removed

Swinging arm pins and bearings were all in remarkably good condition and came out relatively easily . If I had not been getting the parts painted I would have happily left the bearings and just replaced the seals

Rear brake disc was like a Pringle crisp - minimum thickness is 4.5mm and this one was 3.7mm

Lower Rear Chain guide roller was completely missing as in nothing at all there - no roller , pin or bolt . Not sure if it had been removed and forgot to be put back on or vibrated loose

Excellent service from Simply Bearings as usual - every bearing and seal for swinging arm , chain drive , wheels . clutch housing and steering head....

this isnt happening unless there are pics - are you making this up? :)

this isnt happening unless there are pics - are you making this up? :)

I'm just buying ahead lol . All of the frame parts , swinging arms , crash bars , foot pegs , engine casings and wheels are going for bead blasting and powder coating so it will be a few weeks before I'm fitting bearings and seals

I'll be posting some more pictures of the last of the tear down activities tomorrow as I'm planning a full day in the garage

I've also booked a slot with the painter for last week in March for all of the body panels and the seat is getting dropped off next week to get sorted

Excellent service from Simply Bearings as usual - every bearing and seal for swinging arm , chain drive , wheels . clutch housing and steering head....

I use 'Simply Bearings' ... great firm to deal with :thumb

Now carry on regardless please ;)

:beerjug:

Strip down progressing well . Frame all removed and split from Engine . Swinging Arm disassembled and bearings removed . Head bearings out of the frame , Sprocket carrier bearings removed , rear wheel bearings removed

Also re-built the front brake caliper with new seals

Need to remove front wheel bearings , get lower Steering head bearing off the steering stem and then start going through each part that has been removed and either refurbish it or decide if I am going to replace it

Dropping the seat off on Tuesday and the Powder coating on Friday .

So you can see why the clutch was replaced at 24K miles - the original clutch plates must have been burnt out as the pressure plate is covered in burnt on oil . Thankfully I have a spare new pressure plate that I will fit . Checked the plates inside the clutch and they are like new still

Water pump removed and the shaft is like new so just the new seals to fit after I get the cover powder coated . Front wheel bearings removed

Clutch operating shaft in good condition , just needs a new circlip as it proved to be unusually stubborn to remove and I ended up distorting it :-(

Thanx for the pix and write up; helps with similar problems, jobs.
(in case you get rid of the aux. lights, pls let me know)
Cheers Josey

All the parts for the powder coater now ready so hopefully get then dropped off later in the week

Engine casings all removed and front of engine stripped , wire brushed , primed and painted . New exhaust studs and nuts fitted

Checked valve clearances and inlet are right at their top limit of 0.12mm and exhaust are both over their maximum limit of 0.29mm with both at 0.30mm

Will strip the top end down tomorrow and measure the old shims and get new ones on order to get them back to a mid tolerance position once I know what sizes I need

Lower steering head bearing removed

Rear brake caliper re-built with new seals

Started cleaning/refurbishing/checking parts ready for going back on the bike

I forgot to post the "before" painting picture of the engine after I had stripped , wire brushed and solvent cleaned it.....

Back
Top Bottom