Problem creating a route from a track - BaseCamp on a Mac

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
then convert to route, if incorrect or in need of amending to suit, as wapping has said trace over the bit or parts you require and jobs a fish.

I have had no success converting a track to a route using the tool/button in BC. How do you do that?

PC or Mac, Paul?

What goes wrong when you try to do it?

Apple MacBook Pro

I press the "Create Route from Track" button and all it does is give me a Route with the start and end point, and non of the intermediate waypoints/routing

Apple MacBook Pro

I press the "Create Route from Track" button and all it does is give me a Route with the start and end point, and non of the intermediate waypoints/routing

That is very odd.

I assume you have the track highlighted in the list?

Can you share one of the tracks with us, here on UKGSer, please.

If I start with a track, such as one I think you posted for the "Route of the Fortifications".

I then imported it into Basecamp

Select the track

Then click 'Edit' and then 'Create route from track'

The software converts the track and shows the route on screen. But in the Info Box, in the 'Via Points' screen, all that shows is the start and finish points. None of the intermediate waypoints or via points is shown. Which I assume means that, if I transfer the route to my Nav V, how can I be sure that the satnav will follow the route?

OK. That is a track of unknown provenance, downloaded from a third party website. I haven’t tried it. My suggestion would be to trace over it using the route tool.

OK. That is a track of unknown provenance, downloaded from a third party website. I haven’t tried it. My suggestion would be to trace over it using the route tool.

It’s odd though. I found Lee’s post with the fortifications route. Using my iPad (I am not with my Mac) I downloaded the gpx file and opened it in the Scenic app.

It has a couple of bits where the Scenic app insists on leaving the track to bring in some extra ‘curvy’ bits or because it doesn’t recognise where the track goes or it’s trying to reconcile fastest time with ‘curvy’ but it seems to near enough work:

e42c12e9b9f4bc8053ee08802bf88361.png

dee198faacf8d185af3e0f5811dc8248.png

I’ll have a go on my Mac sometime reasonably soon.

The example above does highlight Lee’s point in another thread about checking routes, particularly those from third parties where some conversion (say from a track) is required. For example, I have no idea why the track - the broken blue line - appears to bugger about in Charleville-Mézières. The bloke making the track maybe got lost?

However, by playing about a bit on my iPad in Scenic (basically I saved the broken blue line as a route) I did get it to at least appear to reproduce faithfully:

dcab3b44935816d260a3168ef166a890.png

This suggests to me that the Ardennes track should be OK and should convert from a track to a route in BaseCamp on a Mac.....There were two shoulds in that sentence.... I’ll give it a go before too long.

is the gpx file you are referring to the one from this link https://www.visitardenne.com/fr/les-routes-touristiques/la-route-des-fortifications. or is it the gpx route i made and posted up on the forum a good while ago, i think the one i created and uploaded to the forum is still on here somewhere. Found it https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...nnes-and-Eifel?highlight=route+fortifications now this route i made by tracing the original from a web page and putting the way points in after i had done the route as you can see in the pic

the track from the first link i posted is underneath the route in the picture so as you can see it is faithful to it, the points of interest (the red dots) however i had to guess to the nearest points they will be very close to where they should be

Attachments

• fort.jpg
    fort.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 305
Lee, I went about it a different way.

I found the Ardennes’ website

515cb3efcfa72422c0b5139b8fc75106.plist

Downloading the gpx file to my iPad, choosing to open it in Scenic

a8cc7f212b26eae01b1bb5aabfad5465.plist

a0d90ee0e213787f8862c0521d139cf3.plist

The gpx file opens up in Scenic, but with some errors. I guess the errors were caused by the usual problem where a track does not match Scenic’s roads or because Scenic was defaulting to giving precedence to its ‘Curvy’ algorithm

07ed329ab07c50b06a97512e227a5df0.png

But on the whole it’s not bad and it’s definitely fixable, so I fixed it within Scenic by asking the app to convert the broken blue line track into a route, which it did:

6e528df5b4fd4cb51c7dcdf5e55ea992.plist

ee3b7220a00229655fd4c773b470f74f.plist
99761cd23ad5cf9d6bbef02d170aef0d.plist

84ff3d79a1fc08a1b318dc328c33646b.png

a641389a919da2535c231f05c3111234.png

The original Ardennes’ website gpx track is now, as far as I can tell, accurately and faithfully converted into a route. You can see in these last pictures that it now follows the broken blue line.

9a21e94e4645f0427c4cafe0eff3c2e8.plist

04e866a25701c94d175b3f1bdd5a80fb.plist

Next I’ll try doing it on my Mac.....

Yours looks good to me, the track i downloaded from the same website did exactly as it did for paul08 in as far as when converting to a route it gave a start and end point and joined them together without matching the route (most odd) will see if i can see why, this was using base camp.

Hi Lee, it is odd that Scenic on an iPad can convert (with a little help from within the app) the Ardennes’ gpx file into a ‘route’ that follows the original version, whilst a PC / Mac using BaseCamp cannot, only rendering up the start and end points.

The data must be within the Ardennes’ gpx file or Scenic could not pick it up. Very strange that BaseCamp apparently can’t.

Yes Richard most odd, and thinking back to 2017 when i first spotted this route on their web site i had the same issue, that is why i ended up making my own version of the same route,

I used the 'Track' and it showed the figure of eight route/track.

However, when I click "Create route from Track" the info box opens up in the top left hand corner, jast as it does when I open any route. And the figure of eight route shows on the map. BUT, in the info box:

a) The 'Via Points' tab only shows the start and finish waypoints. Nothing else is visible

b) But clicking on the 'Directions' tab reveals a full set of junction by junction directions

c) And the 'Info' tab shows:
Number of stops: 1
Total distance: 570km
Transportation method: Car (my default)
Total moving time: 11h 30min
Course: 310deg True
Number of directions: 423

So if I want to use the route as a GPX with my Nav V, I would have to go around the route adding waypoints etc . I can do that as I check the routing calculated by BC, but I just could not understand how BC gives me the full figure of eight route, but with only 2 waypoints and no shaping/via points

Paul08 it is just a guess but i think it may have something to do with the software that created the route in the first place, it seems that garmin basecamp is not fully compatable with this form of gpx file where as Richard's scenic app seems better, again its always a problem when using different software to transcode to and from other software, it does appear that Richards scenic app software deals with the gpx track better than the garmin software.

Update i have found fault with the downloaded track or maybe garmin has created the fault when imported into basecamp who knows, but if you look very closely at the route in a certain area it just keeps going around and back on itself, i have erased that part of the track and then converted to a route and it seems to have cured the strange route issue. the issue starts just north of la chapelle.

Attachments

• fort12.jpg
    fort12.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 264
All that I have tried

Paul could you possibly upload a couple of the tracks you have tried and failed with. either on here if they are small enough or dropbox is good, and also as much info as you can on settings in basecamp and map version.

Back
Top Bottom