Problem creating a route from a track - BaseCamp on a Mac

Back to the OP..... any hews?

Until I get my BC up and running (beyond offering straight lines) I will have to leave this thread paused. Will restart when I am in possession of a functioning BC

Well, now that I can now access/use BC, I will return to this thread.

I started with the track posted up for the Route of the Fortifications.

I loaded this into BC and, when I open the Track, I see the wiggly line of the track as a wiggly figure of eight.

If I then highlight the track and click on the 'Create route from track' button, BC converts it into a route

The route shown on the screen replicates the route, i.e. replicates the wiggly figure of eight

However, if I look at the data box for this route, it only shows 2 Waypoints: the start and finish. It does not show any intermediate waypoints or via points that have 'forced' the route around the figure of eight.

So, to make this route usable, I am assuming that I will need to add some waypoints and via/shaping points before I transfer it to my Nav V?

But, in doing this, will I in some way corrupt the hidden data that is currently forcing the route to mirror the track?

I.e. how do I go about make the created route usable?

I have downloaded the original track and the created route to Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b8fif8cxpbxz6k6/AACR53Xb8dqhEo4Ihuq3sra7a?dl=0

A track contains no intermediate via or way points, as it does not need them. A track is a trail of breadcrumbs between a start point A and an end point, B; nothing more, nothing less.

Your Mac has converted the track into a route. All routes must always have a start point A and end point B, there is nothing you can do about that. You have them, so that is OK. There were no way or via points in the track, so none will appear in the route.

On your Mac, if you go into route details (I think it’s called) or route properties is it, I forget, do you have the ‘instructions’ like turn left, turn right? From memory, third tab along on the pop up screen.

Have you tried send it to your device and said yes to the question, “Would you like to simulate riding this route?”. What happens? The route should just run as normal.

the track that you have downloaded from the website does not contain what i think you perceive to be way points that are on the original map, these are not way points as you may expect them to be, they are in fact links to the places and information displayed next to the map on that page. they do not download with the track it is up to you to create them in the converted route

Lee’s correct, Paul. Between him and me, we’ve answered your question I hope.

It would be easy enough to add the locations manually. You could see if BaseCamp has them listed as say ‘Points of Interest’ and add them from there. Or, find the place on Google maps and then add a waypoint by hand. Another method would be to download a map from Open Street Maps and see if the locations are marked on there. I use these methods to create waypoints for hotels that are sometimes not shown on Garmin’s standard maps.

There are several self help tutorials and videos on how to add a waypoint to an existing route. But, if you get stuck, sing up.

Be aware that when adding waypoints that may be off the route (middle of a field for example) your route may recalculate to try to take you there, what i do in these instances is make sure i put the waypoint for your POI on the route at the nearest appropriate place, as Richard said above some of these POI may already be in your navs database under POI, you may also find that the places in question may be signed on the roadside anyway.
Again always check your route after you have altered or added to it for discrepancies.

Many thanks Richard & Lee. Your advice is (as ever) very useful. I shall have a play as, as Richard is wont to say, you cannot break it!

The Track type routes are a collection of waypoints related to Lat/long.
When you convert them to Route, the software tries to locate the nearest road and base the route on the roads following the trackpoints.

As this is a scenic route, is the route all along roads, or is there by any chance some trails in there made for walking due to lack of a proper road? If such is the case, the lack of a road next to the track will ruin your day :D

I have a solution to my issue, I think.

In summary, when I converted a Track to a Route, it gave me a route that, in the Info box, only had two waypoints. The start and the finish.

What I should have done is:
* open the Track
* Change my 'Activity' in Basecamp to 'Direct'
* Click on the 'Create route from track'
* This produces a route made up of a series on straight lines that mimics the original route
* Now, change the Activity for this route from 'Direct' to 'Motorcycle' and recalculate. The route now snaps onto the roads
* Change the colour option for this route and you can see where the route differs from the original track,
* I can then edit the route and either drag the route or add waypoints to get the route to follow the original roads

I have a solution to my issue, I think.

In summary, when I converted a Track to a Route, it gave me a route that, in the Info box, only had two waypoints. The start and the finish.

What I should have done is:
* open the Track
* Change my 'Activity' in Basecamp to 'Direct'
* Click on the 'Create route from track'
* This produces a route made up of a series on straight lines that mimics the original route
* Now, change the Activity for this route from 'Direct' to 'Motorcycle' and recalculate. The route now snaps onto the roads
* Change the colour option for this route and you can see where the route differs from the original track,
* I can then edit the route and either drag the route or add waypoints to get the route to follow the original roads

Yep that will work, seems like you are now cooking with gas.

I was watching a random video that came up on my Youtube suggestions and he started talking about the need to turn on the 'Direct' activity before converting a track to a route. And, it worked for me!

Patience is a wonderful thing indeed. But in such short supply nowadays

I was watching a random video that came up on my Youtube suggestions and he started talking about the need to turn on the 'Direct' activity before converting a track to a route. And, it worked for me!

Have you got a link to the video, please Paul?

If so, I’ll create a sticky for it.

Richard

i personally have never had to do the above method to create a route from a track, as long as the track is on roads that can be identyfied by basecamp i just select convert track to Route and then check that its going where i want it to go.

i personally have never had to do the above method to create a route from a track, as long as the track is on roads that can be identyfied by basecamp i just select convert track to Route and then check that its going where i want it to go.

I am along the same lines as you, Lee. That said, as per the other thread, I do sometimes see the straight lines., particularly on tracks I have imported from a third party, which often come down as ‘direct’. Or at least, the Mac is reading them as direct and not snapping them onto the roads without some form of changing the mode of transport and recalculating.

Where I sometimes see bizarre routes being offered up, is where the track takes a direction, say along a broken surface road or along a road that Garmin does not know is there, where - logically enough - it will cease the route conversion there and recommence it further oblong the track, at the earliest point it can. The joined up points can result in bonkers routing, obviously. Similarly, if it’s an old track that took say a road that is now no entry, the conversion will not deliberately send me down a one way street the wrong way, so it renders up some odd looking results. However, it’s nothing that a bit of patience cannot edit out.

I am along the same lines as you, Lee. That said, as per the other thread, I do sometimes see the straight lines., particularly on tracks I have imported from a third party, which often come down as ‘direct’. Or at least, the Mac is reading them as direct and not snapping them onto the roads without some form of changing the mode of transport and recalculating.

Where I sometimes see bizarre routes being offered up, is where the track takes a direction, say along a broken surface road or along a road that Garmin does not know is there, where - logically enough - it will cease the route conversion there and recommence it further oblong the track, at the earliest point it can. The joined up points can result in bonkers routing, obviously. Similarly, if it’s an old track that took say a road that is now no entry, the conversion will not deliberately send me down a one way street the wrong way, so it renders up some odd looking results. However, it’s nothing that a bit of patience cannot edit out.

Richard thats exectly what happens. sometimes when downloading third party routes from other places, i get a route and a track downloaded together, now if i choose the route and import it into basecamp/mapsource more often than not it gives me straight lines from way point to way point depending on how many way points there are it will give different amounts of straight lines, i wonder if somtimes people mistake this to be a track because of the straight lines, not in this case though.
I will say that i have never seen a straight line on a track as i can remember, but once its been converted to a route i have seen it many times, and most times its due to a road chnge or junction change, or off road track thats not on the map i am using.

Just watched the first video link and personally i cant see the point in doing it that way, it seems a bit of a faff, simple reason you could have many points between his 30 odd shaping points where the route could deviate, if you are going to check it you may as well check it using all the points with the track underneath the route to double check.

Will watch the next video when i get chance.

Back
Top Bottom