Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
00fd783babee38f4144c8a5f65c6fcf0.plist

d2688b5cfe483270a44678bb236536bd.plist

6560e499cd00609364a653b691985577.plist

f290fcd5533ad61cb778419593bd7dd8.plist

bb8e7b9744ec41bf9ab07c1822ee356d.plist

A fair comparison but not the greatest test,though it’s MCN so not exactly a shock.
Not ridden the new bike but no plans to.
Not fussed about a smidge more grunt and the only thing the new bike has that might be useful over my 2018 ATAS DCT is the facility to use Google Maps on the screen using Apple Car play,which they don’t even mention here.
They also tested the standard new bike rather than the one with ESA, something else I don’t need.
Does make the old bike look a bit of a bargain, with it’s taller seat and simpler switch gear.

I've had a short test ride on the new bike with manual gearbox & Quickshifter. QS is very good indeed and made me think that I would go for this rather than the DCT if I was buying one. Suspension (non ESA) was much firmer than my ATAS and tended to feel the uneven roads much more, although I didn't have time to play with the settings to see if I could improve it. Also, the throttle response was quite on/off at slower speeds. The bike handled very well though and I could definitely notice the extra performance from the engine, and being non- DCT it felt considerably lighter than mine.
I didn't have time to play with the settings & dashboard, but I assume there is no way to place a satnav above the dash as on the current model, which I prefer. I do realise it has Apple play, but never having used this I don't know how it compares to a "proper" satnav.
The thing that is immediately noticeable however is the substantial price increase over the old model - now makes it a very expensive bike if you choose DCT & ES etc.
Overall, although it was only a short test, I was very impressed with it, although some of that was down to the manual box & QS, but the price increase is rather a put-off and I don't think I will be swapping mine for a new one, at least not for a while .

I'm fairly certain I'd love the new ATAS if I rode one. I took a 2018 ATAS out and liked it, but not enough to chuck about £5k and my 67 plate AT at it. I'd now have to add perhaps £7500 and mine. They do seem to have added all the stuff moaned about on the forums so presumably listen to feedback.

I'm fairly certain I'd love the new ATAS if I rode one. I took a 2018 ATAS out and liked it, but not enough to chuck about £5k and my 67 plate AT at it. I'd now have to add perhaps £7500 and mine. They do seem to have added all the stuff moaned about on the forums so presumably listen to feedback.

I can see they why they’re done what they have but I think it would have been better just to fit the tubeless rims, cruise , new motor and a slightly better dash and leave it at that .
It will never be a direct rival for the GS etc as it’s a different kind of bike for those that don’t have to follow the herd .

I can see they why they’re done what they have but I think it would have been better just to fit the tubeless rims, cruise , new motor and a slightly better dash and leave it at that .
It will never be a direct rival for the GS etc as it’s a different kind of bike for those that don’t have to follow the herd .

For once Arsey, you've nailed it ;)

I have the first model ATAT and all I'd change would be the rear suspension (too softly sprung so it squats mid-bend), tubeless rims, cruise and ok we'll take the new motor too. The screen I can take or leave, but the switchgear can FRO and the new decals are but pale imitations :D

I have the first model ATAT and all I'd change would be the rear suspension (too softly sprung so it squats mid-bend), tubeless rims, cruise and ok we'll take the new motor too. The screen I can take or leave, but the switchgear can FRO and the new decals are but pale imitations :D

For once ??? :))

My ATAS is perfect , for me .

Alpina tubeless rims
Atlas throttle lock
Hyperpro spring kit.

Sorted

That's now two separate topics I've seen you mention ATAT ???

Africa Twin/Africa Twin

I built my own ATURD

Africa Twin Urban Rally Dakar :aidan

Fookin Excellent :cool:

Attachments

• Tail Tidy 3.jpg
    Tail Tidy 3.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 412
.......... the rear suspension (too softly sprung so it squats mid-bend), .............

If it's squating as you accelerate out of the bend that'll be your (low speed) damping, not the spring, so depending what adjustment you've got on the Honda shock you may be able to dial it out.

I had same on my 1190R and was almost able to dial it out but wanted it perfect so ended up having the shock revalved ~ the result is a much quicker and more predictable steering bike (squating increases the trail and causes understeer).

Andres

If it's squating as you accelerate out of the bend that'll be your (low speed) damping, not the spring, so depending what adjustment you've got on the Honda shock you may be able to dial it out.

I had same on my 1190R and was almost able to dial it out but wanted it perfect so ended up having the shock revalved ~ the result is a much quicker and more predictable steering bike (squating increases the trail and causes understeer).

Andres
Low speed compression

Although it does sit low down on the compression stroke two up, a higher rated (it isn't heavier) does help.

For solo use, without luggage, I found it well balanced.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Low speed compression

Although it does sit low down on the compression stroke two up, a higher rated (it isn't heavier) does help.

For solo use, without luggage, I found it well balanced.

I'm 14st so not a huge rider, and always one up. Still, I couldn't get on with mine, it felt a bit like a chopper mid-bend with all the wallowing and squatting so I took it to KAIS suspension. They were just about able to get the ideal static sag with the stock spring but said although the damping on the shock and forks are very good the soft spring lets it down. They all but dialled that out, did a full setup and it transformed the bike.

I’m looking forward to a demo ride, but honestly can’t see me handing over what it would take to ‘upgrade’. I’ve Alpina’s, Atlas etc (no suspension mods) and think I’ve got it nailed as to my needs.

As per the 1250 gs, there are those that cannot see the value of changing or buying the new bike, I can understand that as everyone has their own personal reasons, be that justifying the extra cash, or not wanting all the tech, etc, etc, but I had a 2018 ATAS and I’ve ridden the new one, there’s a huge difference in the way the bike rides imho and the extra cash can be justified if you want cruise control, tubeless wheels, superior suspension and a vastly superior dash. When you add all the extra electronic package to it and a free gps with apple CarPlay (this works very well on the new tft when I tried it), I think you are getting a very well specced bike for the money.

I do think Honda have priced it a bit too high, but there are deals to be done on the top spec bikes, I was very impressed with the new 1100 and I’ve managed to get a very great deal on a ATAS 1100 ES, I ordered one and hope to get it very soon. At the end of the day, you can spend £11k on a 1000, spend another £4k on tubeless wheels, cruise control and better suspension, that’s fine with me, but I’d rather have it all from Honda, which they are finally offering and I’m fine paying a bit more to get it.

I wouldn't turn a new one down, don't get me wrong, but I think those of us with 2018-19 ATAT's are very happy with them and don't feel the urge to 'upgrade'. Especially since the pricing has gone up so noticeably.

That said, mine is on PCP and when I eventually get a call asking if I want to move to a CRF1100 as long as the figures line up I'll be happy to do so. But for now I'm extremely happy with mine.

Agreed.

Absolutely no reason to shift away from my 2017 DCT model. Very happy with it. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom