Crash Helmets & Spectacles

To add to all the advice, I wear varifocals and took my Schubert C 3 to the opticians to try different glasses with that helmet. Eventually found one that I could fit the helmet over the glasses.
BTW I wear these varifocals all the time so I don’t lose them! I could take them off for long distance with minor loss of clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A cheap pair of single focal length glasses or perhaps consider contact lenses, I use lenses sometimes when riding as it prevents glasses fogging up in damp weather or expensive glasses getting scratched or dropped.

I get a cheapo set from Specsavers as I seem to destroy specs on the bike, often dropping them. As they are cheap, don’t mind(too much) replacing them

I wear glasses for reading and distance, I use bi vocals. Shuberth C3 Pro I can put the helmet on whilst wearing my glasses. Neotec no chance, helmet on, then put glasses on.

Same here. My C3 pulls on easily whilst wearing my (varifocal) specs.

My current & last few specs have “flat blade” legs so they do slide in pretty easily if I occasionally wear my non-flip helmet.

I was wearing specs before I wore a crash helmet. Current pair have straight flat sides which curve round the sides of the head. They don't curl around the ears. So helmet on, then push the side frames between the helmet foam and my head. Reverse procedure to take helmet off.
ps always carry a spare pair!

Have you considered varifocal contact lenses? Specsavers for example will do free trials of them so if you don't get on with them there's no charge. If I didn't have an astigmatism I'd have contact lenses in a flash, however as it is I've been using varifocals for a few years now and its a game changer.

I wear a very thin neck warmer as a head liner under a RPHA 11 flip, if I put the liner on first then fit glasses and then put the helmet on with front open it’s fine, without the liner the ear recess surround in the helmet catches and twists the arms, blade type arms are much easier to use with helmets.

Al.

Glasses & Crash Helmets

I wear glasses & had some rimless flexy specs until recently.
Never had problems with any type of frame with Arai full face helmets.
I have an Arai Chaser V which has a nice big gap for the frame to slot through.

I've worn varifocals with flexible arms for probably 6/7 years, helmets in that time have included Arai RX7GP, Schuberth E1 and latterly a BMW System 7. I tried on a TourX but didn't buy it.

I always wear my helmet when considering glasses, although I have had problems with sunglasses fitting inside. Its definitely easier with a flip. I didn't get on with the Shoes Neotec, but not because of the glasses, I found it noisy but worst was it leaked.

Apart from specs fitting,What about specs misting up? Mine do it frequentley even with my screen down and Neotec2 visor on first notch,

Thanks for all the feedback, it seems like we're all different. - I've tried putting them on with helmet on, with helmet off, (it's a Neotec 2) with the flip up & down. I've tried pulling the helmet out as I put it on and just about everything else thats been mentioned except for contacts - Mrs Mallard wore those for years and has told me not to go near 'em. I can slot in my old reading glasses, - no problem, but distance wise can't see any further than the garage door :D so it's starting to look like maybe bi-focals in a stronger frame.

I wear a balaclava (various weights for summer and winter). Arguably it's bit of a faff 1) insert in-ear monitors 2) pull balaclava over the spectacle frames 3) then put on helmet.

..... but my glasses ALWAYS stay on when donning and removing the helmet. The helmet liner stays fresher during the holiday as I rinse out the balaclava when it gets manky. The helmet lining also lasts longer.

What about sticking the lenses to the inside of the visor?
So when you look down at the satnav you look through the lenses...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I have several pairs of frameless spectacles with very thin sides (as they are called in the trade) - I have no problem at all with using them with my Neotec - I put my specs on, flip-up the helmet, pull the sides of the helmet outwards and down onto my head - simples :)

Exactly what I do with my System 6 Evo - just have to remember to push the comms mike out of the way first...

I use glasses for driving only.
I found with my first standard clear lens pair , that on my bike every time I hit a bump they slid down my nose.
The next pair I bought 2 years later, I opted for Oakley flack jackets. They grip my head, so no more sliding down the nose. There is no frame at the bottom or sides, so visibility is fantastic.
They slip on really easily, and I specced them with a grey lens rather than the brownish tinge, so can use them in any lighting condition
Apart from night, where I change to my old clear lense pair.
Not cheap at £350, but makes the difference between a safe clear view and not!
Cheers
Dave

I wear a balaclava (various weights for summer and winter). Arguably it's bit of a faff 1) insert in-ear monitors 2) pull balaclava over the spectacle frames 3) then put on helmet.

..... but my glasses ALWAYS stay on when donning and removing the helmet. The helmet liner stays fresher during the holiday as I rinse out the balaclava when it gets manky. The helmet lining also lasts longer.

Yup, me too :thumb:D

I usually wear contacts when riding. But on the occasions I wear my glasses and flip up helmet, instead of pulling the helmet vertically down on your head (which dislodges your glasses), try try looking into your helmet and rotate it on to your head, if you know what I mean. Works every time for me both on and off.

Back
Top Bottom