Crash Helmets & Spectacles

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, as age creeps on, eye-sight diminishes so it seems.

My problem is on close-ups. Long distance is fine. Started wearing reading glasses about 10 years ago, but now my eye-sight is deteriorating and views of Sat-nav and instruments is getting a little blurred.

So, have now got a very nice pair of varifocals which, after getting use to them are great. Use them in the car and everything is in focus and as it should be.

But, - I shot myself in the foot somewhat. As I don’t like wearing glasses and admit to a certain degree of vanity, I went for a pair of rim-less specs that have fairly thin and flexible arms. Big mistake as I didn’t take in account wearing a crash-helmet. :blast

When I try to wear them with my Neotec, the arms just flex and bend, and I can’t slot them in.

I’ve since tried my reading glasses, which at least slot it, but feel the pressure on my tabs. Also, I find it difficult to slot the ‘hooks’ over my ears.

So, before I blow another £400 what options and advice is on offer?

Article in VMCC journal couple of years ago from an optometrist.

Measure the distance from your clocks (satnav) from usual seating position, which will be different from the standard distance used for reading.

Get your optician to make varifocals for that distance, or you could try varifocals contact lenses (yes, I thought the same !) should you be so inclined.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I wear a Shark Evo helmet which has channels in the foam for inserting glasses, may still be a problem with your flexi arms though.

Not familiar with that helmet but specs on first, then whatever you need to do to get the helmet on. I’ve worn glasses all my life and I don’t think I’ve ever managed to successfully put them on after the helmet was on.

I wear Ti framed glasses with flexi arms

No problem for on or offroad with a helmet

or you could try varifocals contact lenses (yes, I thought the same !) should you be so inclined.

I "test rode" those for a couple of weeks recently and couldn't get on with them (been a lens wearer for longer than I can remember). Distance and close vision only OK and not as good as lenses only / lenses with readers or my variofocals.

I have several pairs of frameless spectacles with very thin sides (as they are called in the trade) - I have no problem at all with using them with my Neotec - I put my specs on, flip-up the helmet, pull the sides of the helmet outwards and down onto my head - simples :)

Attachments

• 51A47918-4B9E-4857-BF11-5ECC04DB232B.jpeg
    51A47918-4B9E-4857-BF11-5ECC04DB232B.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 438
I've never had issue either with flexi arms, I start with the bridge of my glasses lower than my nose and lead in with ear hooks straight with where the glasses arms will end up.

An alternative is a new helmet, open face or flip fronts can be put on while wearing glasses.

I "test rode" those for a couple of weeks recently and couldn't get on with them (been a lens wearer for longer than I can remember). Distance and close vision only OK and not as good as lenses only / lenses with readers or my variofocals.
I have two friends who use them, one took several months other was about a week.

Point of being an individual

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Not familiar with that helmet but specs on first, then whatever you need to do to get the helmet on. I’ve worn glasses all my life and I don’t think I’ve ever managed to successfully put them on after the helmet was on.

I wear glasses for reading and distance, I use bi vocals. Shuberth C3 Pro I can put the helmet on whilst wearing my glasses. Neotec no chance, helmet on, then put glasses on.

Almost in a similar situation as the OP

I thought of getting some half lens type glasses to wear just for instrument work / riding

tried a pair of bifocals and they were awful

I need glasses to read.

My glasses fit well in my Schuberth C4 but when I wear my open face helmet I use construction safety glasses with bifocal reading inserts.

For around about a tenner, they easily withstand any road debris flying up and allows me to read my dash as well.

Search eBay for “safety specs reading” I think mine were made by VoltX

Neotec 2 has better provision than Neo1.
New glasses cheaper than helmet?
But helmet should be due for replacement soon?

@Mallard – I found with my flip-front helmet that it was much easier to put the helmet on whilst still wearing the glasses. Have you tried that with yours?

I wear an RX7V & tour x4.

I got a pair of variofocals from Boots the opticians.

I asked for a pair to wear on the bike and they suggested the flexible frame as previously mentioned.

Had them over five years now and no problems at all.

Thanks for all the feedback, it seems like we're all different. - I've tried putting them on with helmet on, with helmet off, (it's a Neotec 2) with the flip up & down. I've tried pulling the helmet out as I put it on and just about everything else thats been mentioned except for contacts - Mrs Mallard wore those for years and has told me not to go near 'em. I can slot in my old reading glasses, - no problem, but distance wise can't see any further than the garage door :D so it's starting to look like maybe bi-focals in a stronger frame.

Varifocals in a frame with stronger arms than the wire frames you mention works for me, you should be able to get a pair from your local ADSA optician quite cheap.

Back
Top Bottom