K1600 much difference between 2014 and 2017 + bikes???

Belco 100 on 6th K16GT....wow. They only started in 2011 thats a bike change every 18 months! If they are that good what change so often?

Just a mixture of good PCP deals and being lucky enough to blow my car allowance from work. I got rid of my 2017 model last year for a GS1250 and regretted so went back and got another one.

Without riding any yet I'm inclined to look for a low miles 2015 K1600GT with gearshift assist pro if I can find one. Probably not possible at £10k though:)

Good choice, but gearshift assist is only available on the 2017 models onward.

Have a look at Chester BMW Motorrad, they have a 65 plate K1600 GT SPORT with keyless ignition, audio pack etc. Comes with a 2 year warranty, priced at £9900 due to the mileage. They’ve had that bike quite a while now so they would probably accept a cheeky offer especially at this time of the year.

Don’t mention the £900 service though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a Harley and test rode the K16, Trophy and RT, in the end I bought a 2014 RT and have now traded it for a 1250RT. The engine on the K16 was brilliant, but its heavy and I decided I would be less likely to roll it out of the garage just to nip into town. My wife is petite so there is plenty of room on the RT for her, so I didn't need the extra space. Luggage is exactly the same for the RT and the K. K16 cost of ownership is higher than the RT. Both great bikes

Valve clearance check which requires removal of the radiator. At 18k miles I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Valve clearance check which requires removal of the radiator. At 18k miles I think.

If anyone wants to buy a low mileage K1600 with only 17500 miles on the clock, give us a shout.:)

On a serious note, if that’s what it costs, then that’s what it costs. Biking is never cheap and I enjoy the release the bike offers me so it’ll be worth it. :thumb

I have a 2016 K1600GT-SE, bought as an ex-demonstrator when it was 6 months old. Pre-reverse gear (and therefore re-gearbox recall) though it does have hill start assist, and all the other toys that were available at the time (radio, keyless, central locking, alarm). I've never used hillstart assist for hill starts, but it comes in bloody handy stopping on the uphill entry to work when I have to wave my pass at a man.

Servicing costs are ok at £250-ish for an annual service if it needs brake fluid changes. My 18,000 miles is due this year and the nice man at my local dealer told me the price would begin with a 5 or 6. So not crippling, but maybe something to take into account with used prices.

My bike is used almost exclusively two up. It hasn't missed a beat, is as fast as you want to go, handles beautifully, comfy, averages 50 mpg on a fast motorway trip. I haven't had the overheating issues some people mention and I've used it in some very hot weather in Spain a few times. Luggage is not ugly, waterproof, and strong enough to support the bike if it ever wants a little lie down in a car park.

The only negative for me is that it is a bastard to push around on anything except a perfectly level surface. You will only park it pointing downhill into a dead end once. And very slow speed manoeuvering - walking pace - is a bit unsettling.

I can't think of a bike that meets the touring brief any better. I'm sure other people think the same about other tourers, but that engine....

A fair summation by the stout guardian of our shores. I like the hill start in exactly the situations he describes, as our office underground car park * has an access ramp slope (and meshed gate with swipe card) that is close on the north face of K2. I also like it for times as simple as sitting at traffic lights, using it as a handbrake. Idle but I don’t care. The servicing costs I can concur with his figures.

Nobody has really talked about the quick up-down shifter. It’s fun but that’s about it. Mine is a 17 registered plate bike, so has it, along with the reverse (which I like, as it lets you be lazy) but without the SOS what’s it, whatever that is.

What would make the bike just about perfect would be a really slick automatic box, as good as most decent cars are now fitted with. It would probably weigh a bit more but what’s a couple more kilo when it’s already 320 kg.

I do like the way the GPS has always been integral into the dashboard. I like the ‘Old school’ analogue clocks and how the whirlywheel thing integrates well.

* I walk to work (carbon neutral, as I am) but have a space if I want to use it.... I should rent it out :augie

I'm surprised BMW haven't sorted out a DCT automatic yet. Honda have it on a series of their bikes and they're hardly any heavier or more expensive. Manual over-ride for those situations where it might be handy. (And the same tech would undoubtedly be a sales coup as a performance aid for the S1000R - a gearbox just like Rossi's...)

It would indeed make the bike even more perfecter than it already is.

(I too have considered walking to work to be carbon neutral. Home to Folkestone is 4 miles and an 1 hour 45 mins. Croydon, though, is 65 miles and 22 hours. And, worst of all, at the end of an epic walk, you're in Croydon.)

Croydon, though, is 65 miles and 22 hours. And, worst of all, at the end of an epic walk, you're in Croydon.)

I have been to Croydon, once.

I had to go there to pick up my first company car. I have not been back since. Nor to Basildon.

There is nothing wrong with Croydon. It's a very misunderstood place! Lunar House is one of the nicer locations within the Borough and I've spent many a happy hour within it's walls assisting with the many emergencies that seem (disproportionally) to occur there:D

Achieving Euro 5 will be a challenge for the venerable K16, so one has to wonder whether it will be discontinued.

Seems it would need VVT or maybe a hybrid drive train before they even think about an Auto option & the old girl could do with losing quite a few kilos while they are at it - at least 50 Kg ideally.

I was quoted £900 to CHECK the valves with another £300-400 if clearances were out.

Wisdom on the k1600forum was that is was nearly unheard of for valves to be out at 18k - but do you want to risk it? I was planning on DIY, but never got to 18k miles.

I had a 2015 one for a year. I didn't bond with it, so try before you buy, some love 'em, I didn't

I was quoted £900 to CHECK the valves with another £300-400 if clearances were out.

Wisdom on the k1600forum was that is was nearly unheard of for valves to be out at 18k - but do you want to risk it? I was planning on DIY, but never got to 18k miles.

I had a 2015 one for a year. I didn't bond with it, so try before you buy, some love 'em, I didn't

Because of the mention of the expensive big service at 18k, I contacted my local BMW dealer, Allan Jeffries at Baildon to confirm the price as mine is due for this service. They are going to do the normal service, oil change, final drive oil change, oil filter, air filter, brake fluid change, valves, new plugs, general health check, all for the great price of £570. I ain’t going to argue with that.

Back
Top Bottom