K1600 much difference between 2014 and 2017 + bikes???

Nick G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Bit of advice please from those that know their K16's. I am selling my '17 plate GSA TB (on here) as I've bought a Triumph Scrambler 1200XE for a change and as a fun bike to go on trips with my mates who also have 1200 twin Triumphs. I am also considering buying a full on touring bike for longer faster trips (son lives in Belgium and in-laws in mid France). Having had boxer engined bikes for years I am drawn to the big K16's 6 cylinder lump. I test rode a 1'15 plate one a year or so ago and loved the engine and comfort.

So having read a bit about them but not really concluded anything are there years to avoid or go for? I am tempted by a '14 plate GT but have heard that the engine was improved a lot post '15 plate. I'd prefer to stay as far
below £10k as I can. It will effectively be a second bike.
Any thoughts on what to go for/look out for? I am aware of the gearbox recall thing on '17 plate bikes.

....or should I just go for the ever sensible R1200RT????

cheers
Nick

It’s a really good bike.

As regards the year on year differences? Nothing that I can remember being hugely impressed or disappointed with by way of change.

Go for the 1200RT, and yes I have previously owned both.

Triumph Trophy SE bridges the gap between the K1600 and RT1200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Triumph Trophy SE bridges the gap between the K1600 and RT1200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Hmmmmmm. No big recommendations for the K16 so far. I'm tempted by the Triumph Trophy SE as they seem to be really good value used.

A very nice one for sale in Bikewise in Abingdon ...

I’ve had a K1600, an R1200RT and a Trophy. I’ve gone back to a GSA because I’m planning a couple of gravel road trips, otherwise I’d still have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hmmmmmm. No big recommendations for the K16 so far. I'm tempted by the Triumph Trophy SE as they seem to be really good value used.

You didn’t ask for recommendations, you asked for:

K1600 much difference between 2014 and 2017 + bikes???

So having read a bit about them but not really concluded anything are there years to avoid or go for?

I can heartily recommend:

A. You try riding one on a decent test ride, something beyond 10 minutes down the local dual carriageway and back

B. You buy one, to enjoy effortless touring, great luggage, good fuel range, a decent discount (on secondhand machines), no need to bolt any bling on.... and just about anything else you can think of

If you can find a later one with the hill start and reverse gear, give it some serous consideration, over and above an earlier one

Don’t pay extra for the radio, take it if it costs you nothing after haggling

You put some money away for tyres

You keep the radiator clear

But hey, don’t take my word for it, here’s an Eastern European who liked one so much he probably nicked it....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yz1wnFm_PQs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You really need to try one first. Nothing compares with a creamy smooth 6, but they are a big old bus that offers a relatively sporty ride, hence they can chew through tyres.

Some early bikes suffered problems, but pretty well anything 2014 or later should be well sorted by now, although there remains a recall on later bikes concurrently for a gearbox issue.

Just join the marque specific forum if you want to get fully informed ..... www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/

Given the OTR price new & the cost of parts, it is advisable to have a BMW warranty, for the first 12 months at least.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yz1wnFm_PQs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is a very good review. They are lovely bikes and my 2014 felt very similar to the 2018 I test ride, except the gear shift assist was brilliant.

That is a very good review. They are lovely bikes and my 2014 felt very similar to the 2018 I test ride, except the gear shift assist was brilliant.

Not quite sure why he never seems to get beyond second gear.....

I've had an 11 plate K1600 GTSE which is I believe when they were first released and I currently have a 14 plate GTSE. No issues with either bike whatsoever. I've always bought used and saved myself thousands, they are I once read a bike which suffers the greatest depreciation in the BMW range so why buy new when you can pick up a decent used one even from a dealer for just over half the original cost. I paid £11k for each of mine, both which were fitted with the radio/sound system so they tend to be a tad more expensive. The 14 plate one which I bought last year came with the genuine top box, which is ridiculously priced at £1k+ and the sat nav so that was a huge saving. Comfort is outstanding, its a heavier bike than the GSA which I also owned but a lower riding position with a very low centre of gravity so no problems at all not even when commuting or filtering. It comes as standard with everything you need so no requirement to spend extra on accessories to tart it up. I've done a number of quick blats up to Scotland on mine, some 400 mile plus trips (each direction) in all weathers and it's been a pleasure.

2011 was the first year. My 2011 did have the ‘Pull to the left’ phenomenon and the ‘egg beater’ effect, neither of which bothered me that much. Neither have been present on the later editions.

As per the video, they can easily be hustled along. Anything from an autobahn, to the hairpins of the Alps to nadgery little, leaf strewn, lanes in the Ardennes, to the open sweepers of rural France. It will do the lot. Just take a little care when parking, as you do not want to be pushing 320 plus kg of bike backwards, uphill on gravel, too often. The reverse gear, will help.

Having said you do not want to add anything, do buy a side stand enlarger. That 320 kg is going to press down pretty hard. That is the only thing I have added, other than the BMW small engine bars.

From 2011. It’s MCN but hey, that’s bikermates for you. Fast forward to 2:20 if you don’t want to hear some of the over excited chatter...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l96hsKvDW7w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top box is the same as the R1200RT. Central locking is great, the little wind deflector jobbies work well. CalSci screen on mine was an improvement.

Gear shift assist is outstanding on that engine/gearbox combi.

Hi Nick G,

The K1600 is a great bike, I am on my 6th K16GT/GT Sport and love them. It has had lots of small changes over the years, like key-less ignition and hill-start, but a big update when it went from Euro3 to Euro4 in 2017, and also picked up a reverse gear, quick shifter, Dynamic ESA and a new engine map.

In some ways the Euro3 model is a good choice with the 2015 being a Goldilocks model. The engine map is sharper and you get soft/medium/hard suspension - if you ride two up a lot the new Dynamic ESA can transfer a lot more of the road through to your pillion.

Get the newest one you can, test ride and check the gearbox is smooth, and enjoy.

A good video comparison is here:

Belco 100 on 6th K16GT....wow. They only started in 2011 thats a bike change every 18 months! If they are that good what change so often?

Great feedback/advice guys. I'll get out on a few bikes (K16, Trophy SE, R12RT and maybe FJR). Without riding any yet I'm inclined to look for a low miles 2015 K1600GT with gearshift assist pro if I can find one. Probably not possible at £10k though:)

be aware of 6 speed fjr,s its not unheard for some of them to have terminal gearbox problems ,i know it sound strange being Japanese ,.dont discount a kawasaki gtr1400:thumb2

be aware of 6 speed fjr,s its not unheard for some of them to have terminal gearbox problems ,i know it sound strange being Japanese ,.dont discount a kawasaki gtr1400:thumb2

I'm pretty bad at choice so another in the mix is just one too many.
Had a look at the GTR14. I know its all 'in the eye of the beholder' and very few of these big plastic tourers are very attractive but the GTR14 must be one of the ugliest bikes I've seen in recent years. That gigantic silencer is bizarre IMHO

Hi guys,
Bit of advice please from those that know their K16's. I am selling my '17 plate GSA TB (on here) as I've bought a Triumph Scrambler 1200XE for a change and as a fun bike to go on trips with my mates who also have 1200 twin Triumphs. I am also considering buying a full on touring bike for longer faster trips (son lives in Belgium and in-laws in mid France). Having had boxer engined bikes for years I am drawn to the big K16's 6 cylinder lump. I test rode a 1'15 plate one a year or so ago and loved the engine and comfort.

So having read a bit about them but not really concluded anything are there years to avoid or go for? I am tempted by a '14 plate GT but have heard that the engine was improved a lot post '15 plate. I'd prefer to stay as far
below £10k as I can. It will effectively be a second bike.
Any thoughts on what to go for/look out for? I am aware of the gearbox recall thing on '17 plate bikes.

....or should I just go for the ever sensible R1200RT????

cheers
Nick

From experience, I wouldn't recommend any 'fast' trips in much of Europe now because the post comes thick and fast when you're home and have forgotten all about it even if you're only a couple of kmh over the limit. I've been riding my 390 Duke on the last few trips and still received two fines for around 5 kmh over the limit.

I'm pretty bad at choice so another in the mix is just one too many.
Had a look at the GTR14. I know its all 'in the eye of the beholder' and very few of these big plastic tourers are very attractive but the GTR14 must be one of the ugliest bikes I've seen in recent years. That gigantic silencer is bizarre IMHO

yes that silencer is a bit of a red herring i must agree,but that said its very easy changed ,and the big kawasaki is very reliable

Back
Top Bottom