Main stand spring removal option

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys/Gals/others :D

Whilst I`ve been tinkering with my main stand locking project I`ve had to remove my springs (obviously). Now, if it`s already been done like this then MASSIVE respect :bow to whoever did it first, I`m sorry for not knowing. Otherwise, if it helps anyone in any way by giving them another `tool` or option to consider (and I`m sure there`s many out there far better than mine!) then I`ve done good!

And also I`ve had a couple of the lads actually ask how I did remove the springs............

And if anyone is interested this is what it is all about and why I had to remove said spings.................

Inserting all those washers looks a bit tedious Mark, so maybe there is scope for making and selling a special tool for this? I modified a suspension spring clamp to try to do this, and managed at the umpteenth attempt, but it wasn't very successful as it was too big and clumsy to fit securely.

What I think it needs is something that can securely hook over the stand bottom crossmember at one end and the bottom spring holder at the other end, with the two parts threaded onto a bar which can be turned with a spanner or socket so as to pull the spring holder down enough be levered off the fixing it hooks onto. A bit like the adjuster on the gear shift but a bit stronger. Maybe needs to fit and be accessible when the stand is up as I think the springs are under less tension in that position.

How about it? Another project for you?

Fred

Inserting all those washers looks a bit tedious Mark, so maybe there is scope for making and selling a special tool for this? I modified a suspension spring clamp to try to do this, and managed at the umpteenth attempt, but it wasn't very successful as it was too big and clumsy to fit securely.

What I think it needs is something that can securely hook over the stand bottom crossmember at one end and the bottom spring holder at the other end, with the two parts threaded onto a bar which can be turned with a spanner or socket so as to pull the spring holder down enough be levered off the fixing it hooks onto. A bit like the adjuster on the gear shift but a bit stronger. Maybe needs to fit and be accessible when the stand is up as I think the springs are under less tension in that position.

How about it? Another project for you?

Fred

Fred that’s a brilliant idea, lack of time and IQ pushed me towards a quick and simple answer (coins work too) but yeah - I actually did buy something to lever the spring down but it was made as cheap as possible and it fell apart - principle was good tho!

I think I understand what you have in your minds eye - sounds good I must say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred that’s a brilliant idea, lack of time and IQ pushed me towards a quick and simple answer (coins work too) but yeah - I actually did buy something to lever the spring down but it was made as cheap as possible and it fell apart - principle was good tho!

I think I understand what you have in your minds eye - sounds good I must say!

I'm glad you think that might be practical - not all my ideas are! My problem is that I lack the skills and facilities to turn them into reality!

That's a brilliant solution Mark.

I would bet that most GSers have wrestled with centre stand springs in their time - I wish I'd known this years ago!

Thanks for sharing, that's useful for the whole community.

That's a brilliant solution Mark.

I would bet that most GSers have wrestled with centre stand springs in their time - I wish I'd known this years ago!

Thanks for sharing, that's useful for the whole community.

My pleasure and I’ve taken a few chunks out of my knuckles too!

Mark,
I used a wickes 6 inch powergrip clamp to remove the springs. Takes a fine touch and 5 minutes. The
clamp takes enough tension to move the mounting plate clear of the retaining lug a quick tap with a screwdriver and hammer and Bob's your uncle springs free.

Stevey B

I managed to break my hook when I tried a similar method to remove mine. I didn’t really have enough repair washers.
I got round this by putting a small shackle in the hook hole and pulling on that. Success!

Overcome by this success I fitted a second shackle to help put it back on. I now have a shackle hanging from my spring plate because I didn’t think about the access needed to remove them and this one is stuck until I grind it off or remove the stand again :blast: :)

Mark,
I used a wickes 6 inch powergrip clamp to remove the springs. Takes a fine touch and 5 minutes. The
clamp takes enough tension to move the mounting plate clear of the retaining lug a quick tap with a screwdriver and hammer and Bob's your uncle springs free.

Stevey B

Bloody good idea that mate

I managed to break my hook when I tried a similar method to remove mine. I didn’t really have enough repair washers.
I got round this by putting a small shackle in the hook hole and pulling on that. Success!

Overcome by this success I fitted a second shackle to help put it back on. I now have a shackle hanging from my spring plate because I didn’t think about the access needed to remove them and this one is stuck until I grind it off or remove the stand again :blast: :)

Oh dear, if you are within riding distance and would benefit from a bike lift, a full workshop and an idiot like me helping then you are more then welcome to let me help you sort that out!

I managed it with an Abba Skylift all on my own in Aberdeenshire :D

I’m starting to like the slightly nautical look too ;)

Spring removal/refit method which has worked for me: Bend an oval 2" - 3" nail by holding it in a vice and whacking it over into a hook shape. Grip the head end with your trusty mole grips. Bike on side stand, sit on the floor beside the bike, hook the nail into the end of the spring and PULL.

And wear safety specs - I've read a horror story about someone pulling on a spring, something letting go and losing an eye.

Guys/Gals/others :D

Whilst I`ve been tinkering with my main stand locking project I`ve had to remove my springs (obviously). Now, if it`s already been done like this then MASSIVE respect :bow to whoever did it first, I`m sorry for not knowing. Otherwise, if it helps anyone in any way by giving them another `tool` or option to consider (and I`m sure there`s many out there far better than mine!) then I`ve done good!

And also I`ve had a couple of the lads actually ask how I did remove the springs............

What a great tip. Saves all that grunt/groaning and subsequent double hernia. Excellent.:clap

Spring removal/refit method which has worked for me: Bend an oval 2" - 3" nail by holding it in a vice and whacking it over into a hook shape. Grip the head end with your trusty mole grips. Bike on side stand, sit on the floor beside the bike, hook the nail into the end of the spring and PULL.

And wear safety specs - I've read a horror story about someone pulling on a spring, something letting go and losing an eye.

Jeez

What a great tip. Saves all that grunt/groaning and subsequent double hernia. Excellent.:clap

Thanks. As stupid as I am I’d been going through the double hernia trick for many years now so yeah, anything that makes it easier is good!

Out on the 1250 today and the battery has packed in........ hey ho I have a spare! No Macdonald’s were harmed (or eaten) in the making of this photo...
f5d9d5e452d947fe3a971cdfd7318eb4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom