Starting a GS-911 Academy - What do you want to learn, and how much would you pay?

Nick V

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good day, all!

Pretty much as the subject line says.
I do technical documentation and videography for Hexcode (the South African manufacturers of the GS-911 and ezCAN).
We're in the early stages of starting up an online technical academy. The aim is to teach GS-911 owners, BMW enthusiasts and journeyman mechanics how to do BMW Motorrad-specific vehicle diagnostics and, in the process, fully exploit the capabilities of their GS-911.
Our curriculum is not exclusive to GS-911 owners. However, since it is GS-911-centric, you will only get the full benefit of it if you own a GS-911.

We're planning on presenting a range of four technical courses (running the gamut from 'Beginner' to 'Expert').
The aims are to A) make each enrolee a competent diagnostic technician, familiar with every feature of the GS-911 and able to use it to solve any relevant problem, and B) build a like-minded community of vehicle technicians who enrich the BMW Motorrad community with their knowledge and experience.

I want feedback from every mechanic, tinkerer, technical enthusiast and weekend bodger who reads this:
  • What technical aspects would you specifically want to learn from this series of courses, and
  • Bearing in mind that what's being offered is a complete technical curriculum in four par, what would you be willing to pay for that curriculum? (Unfortunately, the answer can't be 'Nothing'... hundreds of hours are being put into creating and developing these courses.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Nicholas

Firstly, I'd do it modular. So that you can progress through different levels and also in other areas, e.g. live settings, what they mean and what to expect when you change parameters.

Not everyone needs either the basics, nor the in-depth technicalities from the outset, but the ability to progress from their level of experience and proficiency.

Depending upon levels, say 1,2,3,4 in different areas. I'd look at £25-30 per module or perhaps £300 ish for the whole course.

Like everything, it's the back-up and support that makes the difference. A technical chat service, either on a one off/monthly/annual payment could also be of use.

Hope this helps, good luck, look forward to future developments.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Webchat or live support would be great,

Also help on how to interpret some of the live data traces when problem solving

Ie what constitutes normal parameters or how to see if somthing has an intermittant problem

Tractors are go, and Santa: Spot on. :thumb2 Pretty much everything you said is already part of our marketing plan and topic list.

Anyone else? My goal here is to get as much feedback from as many potential clients as possible.
Plans are still fluid at this stage - and if it can be done, we're more than willing to consider it!

I don't have one yet. I do expect I will purchase one soon so I can do more home maintenance post-Warranty. Very interested in learning more.
Agree regards Modular. Maybe a tiered instructive element, showing first the highest-level, then drilling down into each catagory.
Youtube vids are a great way of doing this...

I don't have one yet. I do expect I will purchase one soon so I can do more home maintenance post-Warranty. Very interested in learning more.
Agree regards Modular. Maybe a tiered instructive element, showing first the highest-level, then drilling down into each catagory.
Youtube vids are a great way of doing this...

Our bias at this stage is strongly toward video-based content.

I surprised we don’t have a sub directory under technical and rider where people could post info based on their own experience and use of the GS 911 — another possible benefit of the best £12 anyone could spend?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd want to know what I was going to get out of the course before paying. For instance, I don't know what I don't know! Maybe I already know everything that the gs911 can do, or maybe I'm only scratching the surface of its capabilities. Maybe I only need to know a little bit?

How about a free introduction that introduces stuff that could be interesting to the individual. The individual can then pay for that content if they choose.
As mentioned above, I've already paid a lot of money for the unit, I only have a couple more "slots" left on it... So I would not be willing to pay much for the tutorial. I'd probably forget any new stuff before I got chance to use it!
Maybe each gs911 should come with a voucher or two to be used on their owner's choice of course?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom