Low speed weave....

milleplod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bolsover, no longer the home of the Beast.
Posted here as it'll hopefully get more response....

First ride of this year on the RT yesterday, temp reached a heady 12deg at one point, which was very pleasant, even if the wind was a bit unsettling at times! Anyway, as I approached the lights about half a mile from home, I had a very unnerving experience - it felt as if all my skill and expertise (hah!) had evaporated over the winter as I wobbled and weaved to a halt!:eek: As I slowed down, the bike started a very obvious, slow weave from side to side, it was almost impossible to keep the front wheel straight ahead as I came to a halt. First thought was tyre pressures, although I'd checked them a couple of weeks ago - I pulled up down the road and checked them.....spot on. I'm thinking it's likely to be the ball joint that's buggered, perhaps got water in it and slowly corroded over the past few months, not had chance to look yet, but will have a root around this pm. If I put the front wheel off the ground, will I be able to feel if anything's amiss just by turning the bars, or do I need to do something else?

Pete

Put your disposable gloves on first - sounds like you ran over a dog turd!
Start by checking the tyre pressure.

With the front wheel off the ground as you say, just use the tips of your fingers for the lightest of touches to move the bars to and fro across the straight ahead position. It is not always obvious.

Also run the flat of your hand around the circumference of the tread to check for bulges, next check the seating of the tyre on the rim, there’s normally a slim bead on the sidewall that should be evenly spaced around the rim

Both good suggestions.
And if you find nothing then go back to the scene of the crime and have a good look at the road - its a bit strange that your ride was fine till then - also check your brakes for binding!

Type of tyre? What sort of mileage?

I've had exactly the same issue on 2 previous GSAs and an FJR when the tyre gets some wear on them. Bit disconcerting when filtering through tight gaps.

Thanks for the replies chaps.:thumb2

Tyre pressure is fine, seating on the rim seems fine, no abnormal wear, no bulges - PR4s with around 2k miles - and I'd only ridden the bike half a mile before I noticed the issue, which repeated itself each time I was riding at low speed. Thinking back, I also thought the bike felt a bit odd round roundabouts, as I kept having to give little inputs to keep it tracking properly.....very odd feeling.

I've lifted the front wheel, then gently moved the bars from side to side, but couldn't feel anything untoward, although I'm not too sure what I'm looking for, certainly no roughness or sticking that I could feel.

Pete

maybe picked up some oil on tyres, or maybe shock absorber loosing oil

Was it just that one occasion on that specific stretch of road ..? Or is it happening on every occasion where you roll to a stop?

Check the back too - obviously...

If the feeling is the front then check the rear

Agree with the above. On a trio to Germany a couple of years ago,
Mates missus on her tuono pulled over in the twisties in the Harz mountains. She said the front end felt very weird and wouldn't turn going round the corners. Pulled into a nearby layby and we were all checking the front end, couldn't find anything wrong, then I noticed her rear tyre was nearly flat.
She was convinced it was the front that was the problem.

It was happening each time I was rolling to a halt, or trickling along in traffic, or negotiating the odd roundabout. It felt ok once out on the open road, and nothing felt odd on faster bends. The rear end seems fine - no play anywhere, tyre ok and rear shock recently rebuilt by Luke on here.

Pete

You haven't changed anything recently have you?
I'm thinking swapping out the Silencer for example.
In fact, anything that may have resulted in the Weight Distribution being altered in any way.
I had the exact same thing on my Versys 1000 when I swapped out the OEM Silencer for a really light Aftermarket one.
The Suspension had been spot on previously but the 5kg reduction in weight on the rear made the Bike behave in the way you describe.
Once I had readjusted the Suspension, it was fine again.

Have you checked with BM to see if your bike has had all the Safety campaign addressed?

Friend of mine had a similar issue the Brake disc /wheel carrier had worn itself and the splines of the FD

Consequently when the weight went off it it was able to oscillate quite magnificently !!

Oh and very alarmingly !

So look for movement between through axle of the Final Drive and the aluminium bit that the disc bolts to

Panniers and rear caliper off is best

Found it but missing the pics Which I may have somewhere

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/155689-Possible-new-problem-Rear-wheel-carrier!!!

Back
Top Bottom