Route De Grande Alpses .gpx file wanted

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anybody have a .gpx file of the RDGA going north from Menton?

I am planning on going to Croatia in June and returning via Italy and the south of France to do the RDGA on the return lap.

I've just knocked one up for fun! Not sure how to get it to you though.

Send me an email address and I'll email it to you. You'll need to check it to make sure it goes where you want. I haven't used any waypoints except start and finish, just shaping points (I think).

It is a fantastic road, though I've only done the southern half of it.

Just tried to download this to see how it compares with mine. Can't quite manage to download it - get as far as the "can't preview GPX files" page but can't see where to click from there!

look up and to the right on the page with the text you quote and the chicken! There's a download button...

Chicken? Have you been taking drugs?

Anyway, drugs or not, there is now a download button that I don't think was there before, so I've downloaded the .zip file. Thanks.

Mine is the same as the downloadable one, except mine includes a couple of more easterly routes in the southern end. I took mine via St-Martin-Vesubie and then over the Col de la Bonnette to Jausiers (because that's the route we took a few years ago).

PS I will now refer to it as "Routes des Grandes Alpses" because (a) that's what you called it in the title and (b) it makes it sound like Gollum is asking.

i have gpx file from a few years ago if you pm your email you can have it in mapsource or basecamp format

Thanks Pablo but I am sorted now, thanks also to everybody else who contributed, much appreciated.

I did that route late last year, it's superb.

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

I prefer Bonette over Cayolle, but taking Cayolle will get you riding over more passes, many options at that spot, after Col di Turini (heading North) to get to Col di Vars you can take;

a. Col de La Bonnette
b. Col de la Couillole / Col de Valberg / Col de la Cayolle

Those are the two "official" routes (Originally it was Cayolle before La Bonette opened)

But you can also do;

c. Col de la Couillole / Col de Valberg / Col des Champs / Col d' Allos

Or even if you can find the time;

d. Col de la Couillole / Col de Valberg / Gorge du Daluis / Col d' Allos

A couple of other options if you want to head into Italy

e. Col di Lombarde / Col de Larche

or if you want some rougher roads take the Sampeyre

f. Col di Lombarde / Col di Valcavera / Col di Sampeyre / Col di Agnel (Nice good value Hotel Mont Nebin in Sampeyre which is a pretty little town)

This is why I always recomend folk take an extra day or two in the area (Valberg / Barcelonnette / Allos / Jausiers) to ride a lot more of these.

I am planning on going to Croatia in June and returning via Italy and the south of France to do the RDGA on the return lap.

I'm doing the route this year again (N to S)but also doing the South to North direction for the first time.

Don't you have a paper map?

I prefer Bonette over Cayolle, but taking Cayolle will get you riding over more passes, many options at that spot, after Col di Turini (heading North) to get to Col di Vars you can take;

a. Col de La Bonnette
b. Col de la Couillole / Col de Valberg / Col de la Cayolle

Those are the two "official" routes (Originally it was Cayolle before La Bonette opened)

But you can also do;

c. Col de la Couillole / Col de Valberg / Col des Champs / Col d' Allos

Or even if you can find the time;

d. Col de la Couillole / Col de Valberg / Gorge du Daluis / Col d' Allos

A couple of other options if you want to head into Italy

e. Col di Lombarde / Col de Larche

or if you want some rougher roads take the Sampeyre

f. Col di Lombarde / Col di Valcavera / Col di Sampeyre / Col di Agnel (Nice good value Hotel Mont Nebin in Sampeyre which is a pretty little town)

This is why I always recomend folk take an extra day or two in the area (Valberg / Barcelonnette / Allos / Jausiers) to ride a lot more of these.

I lke both routes.

I use Bonnette if I'm heading to Isola and Italy and Cayolle for south west France and Spain.

I'm doing the route this year again (N to S)but also doing the South to North direction for the first time.

Don't you have a paper map?

I have Michelin maps but they don't mark the route, I could plot the route myself but why reinvent the wheel when there are so many helpful people on here willing to share routes and experiences.

I have Michelin maps but they don't mark the route, I could plot the route myself but why reinvent the wheel when there are so many helpful people on here willing to share routes and experiences.

If you were going to Dent you may have been lucky enough to obtain a paper map of the RdGA!!!! :augie:augie:thumby::thumby:

It might just be me , but why would anyone need a GPX file of the RDGA if they have the map ? Its not that difficult

This might help people visualize the options

RDGA Options.jpg

A. From Menton to Tinee

The only notable pass is Col di Turini, good food / drink options at the top.

B From Tinee to Barcelonnette

There are a lot of other alternate routes here and that is why we always spend an extra night or two in the area (Barcelonnette / Valberg / Tinee) as there is just so much great and varied riding, just one extra day will allow you to loop around most the stuff you will miss by just choosing one route option.

1. The Modern Official route over La Bonnette - short and easy (plus "Bags" you the highest paved road in the Alps and is a great ride with stunning views at top (but no facilities,plenty on the approach and after the descent)

2/3. The original route over Couillole (Just before Valberg) Valberg (2) and Cayolle (3) - A bit more varied, Couillole is stunning, narrow and rugged, Valberg a real good ride on any bike with great curves and Cayolle is scenic and rugged again (Valberg is a handy place to stop for coffee or lunch)

4/5. After Valberg you can dive down Gorge du Daluis (4) and then over Col du Allos (5) - This ticks of more passes (and a gorge) than the other options and if your not bothered about following the "official" routes is probably the best for cramming as much into your ride as possible (as well as Valberg for Lunch there is a great refuge at the top of the Allos)

6/8/11. At Tinee head over Lombard (6) and then take Larche (8) - Many will say the most boring, and TBH I would advise taking La Bonnette, this is an option if you have done that before and want an easy alternative, the Lombard is a load of (wide and well surfaced) hairpins up and a very scenic run back down the other side. The Larche isnice enough, it is an easy pass but does have some nice curves and a handy little cafe by a small lake just before the French border.

6/7/9/10. Over Lombard (6) Colli di Valcavera (7) Sampeyre (8) and then Agnel 10, although this bypasses the options of 11 / 12 - For those that like a bit of rough, after the Lombarde yuo have aa bit of dull road before swinging up towards Sampeyre, this is a remote valley where you wind up and down some narrow roads, there is a small hostel that does drinks and snacks about half way along (and is very cheap) but not much else, going up Sampeyre (Heading North) is not so bad, but the descent into the town of Sampeyre is pretty rough, broken up and bumpy - great fun IMO, but any mates on sportsbikes or huge tourers may not be too happy. The you have Col Agnel that is a real Beauty, generally decent surface and wide and great views at the top.

C. Barcelonette to Briancon

I can only see one choice here - Col de Vars (11) the other route is predominantly main roads, you do get to ride past a big lake, but unless the Vars is closed or weather appaling I would take the Vars as it is a great riders road, wide, grippy, open, smooth.

Either way you still get to ride the Jewel in the Crown, the Izoard, one of my favourite passes int he Alps, not sure why as nothing is all that exceptional - except the gold rock formations, but I always love riding this pass.

D. Briancon to Bourg St Maurice

Three good options here, the classic route of the Galibier (14) is what I would do on a first trip, and it is fantastic, there is a small tunnel at the top so dodge that to go right over the highest point (or stop at the cafe just there and enjoy a cuppa whilst taking in one of the best views from the pass)

The second option would not be my first choice (15) it uses a lot of more main roads but there are a few variations and you could take in Alpe d'Huez and col du Glandon, and take a detour around Col du la Croix de Fer and Col du Mollard.

My second choice (or maybe first if you have done the Galibier before) would be to go over Col du Mont Cenis (good choice of restaurants at the top) this is also a bit faster and cuts out a bit of boring stuff between Briancon and Galibier and between the end of Galibier (Or the Telegraph to be precise) and Mondane - at the expense of a short stretch of motorway.

Hope that helps some folk decide they need a couple of extra days and don't forget to save a day for the 7 pass loop around Mont Blanc, you can stop anywhere between Bourg and Morzine to ride this loop.

Back
Top Bottom