2005 R1200RT Speedo Failure

Gerbil007

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Oh the joys of BMW ownership! My speedo has now died! The bike was recently servo-ectomied, but the speedo was just fine for weeks after the surgery so I doubt it has anything to do with that. This afternoon I replaced the rear speed sensor, but sadly speedo is still dead. Am I wasting my time replacing the front one too? Anything else I ought to check?

Oh the joys of BMW ownership! My speedo has now died! The bike was recently servo-ectomied, but the speedo was just fine for weeks after the surgery so I doubt it has anything to do with that. This afternoon I replaced the rear speed sensor, but sadly speedo is still dead. Am I wasting my time replacing the front one too? Anything else I ought to check?

what rear speed sensor ?

(and what front speed sensor?) .... do you mean ABS sensors ???

I thought speed pick up was from gearbox ??

what rear speed sensor ?

(and what front speed sensor?) .... do you mean ABS sensors ???

I thought speed pick up was from gearbox ??

IFAIK

the rear reluctor ring in the rear hub is the primary speed trigger, followed by the front wheel reluctor ring if the rear ABS sensor fails

If you know anyone with a GS911 - there is a speedo test and ABS test on that, it might show up an issue.

I had the exact same problem, intermittent at first and then it went totally. I replaced the sensor as you have and removed the small shims first to see if it picks up and doesn't hit it of course, make sure it is seated properly. The pickup (sensor) is a field-effect magnet, so you can see if it is sending a pulse back with the multimeter on resistance, then rotate the brake disk (google how to test the sensor). If you totally forgot the shims, then likely it's placed too close to the ring and be permanently 'on' which the speedo will ignore.

Back
Top Bottom