buying a urban gs

Dartmoor Dog

Reaction score
Hello all i am new to the group and have previously owned 1150gs 1150 gs adventure and 1200 gs i am now considering the urban gs as a keeper as i love the boxer engine but dont need the electronics on the bigger bikes. it is for every day all weather use. i tried all the r9t and the urban gs was lovely and the better bike. can you recomend this bike to me.

any thoughts appreciated

Hello all i am new to the group and have previously owned 1150gs 1150 gs adventure and 1200 gs i am now considering the urban gs as a keeper as i love the boxer engine but dont need the electronics on the bigger bikes. it is for every day all weather use. i tried all the r9t and the urban gs was lovely and the better bike. can you recomend this bike to me.

any thoughts appreciated

Have a long test ride on the Urban . For some it causes very numb bollox after about an hour . I ended up with nerve damage , probably not directly related but it was the most uncomfortable bike I’ve ever owned. The suspension is crap as well , but horses for courses . Good luck .

I'm also looking at similar (scrambler) and very close to buying one but have never ridden one. Contacted a few folk about them asking bout the suspension, which many say is rubbish but others say...not great but fine.

I'm hoping to test ride one next weekend as there is none in my area til my local dealer gets one in (they said 24th) so my suggestion is do what I'm doing, do nothng til you ride one, though I'm unlikely to have a long test ride as it's too cauld for that at this time of year.

I have the 'normal' R9t so not quite the same but I can vouch for the bike as it's the same platform.

I rode the Urban for a day when my XR was in for a service and was hooked. I chose the standard version as I have no intention of going off road and one came up at the dealers for the right price.

Coming from sports bikes onto an XR I was very surprised how the relatively low powered and basic R9t performed......its great fun for A roads, B roads, back lane scratching. Just ride the torque and enjoy the noise!

The suspension is very basic. I've changed the rear shock for a Wilburs which has made a tangible improvement over stock. I intend to use mine for some touring this year, nothing huge but certainly over the water into France and possibly a trip through Norway.

Overall it's a great bike. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Great but what does this have to do with the F750/850GS forum...

I rode a scrambler from my local dealer, I found the handling to be weird, if it had been an earlier airhead I would have diagnosed too tight head bearings. Actually it was more than weird, it was really unpleasant.

I have a 1200R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve got a scrambler and the best thing about it is....

Every time I look at it I think it’s beautiful.

Within reason I’m not too worried how it goes, different bikes different strokes different folks and all that.

I’ve had MV Evo , 916 sps etc and I’ve never had so many people come over to look at a bike, ever.

Maybe it’s because I’m a handsome bastard, I’m betting it’s the bike.

Can’t recommend enough if it fits your needs. And indeed Nads :)

50a0c1c92b44fe45f1dc36383162f6fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom