Ipad IOS13 + Nav 6

grant123

Reaction score
Been looking into getting a new ipad so i dont have to lug my laptop around with me on trips.

Since IOS13 now allows you to connect external hard drives directly to the device, i was wondering if anyone knows if the NAV6 can be connected?

It would be great to be able to simply drag and drop tracks onto the nav

Been looking into getting a new ipad so i dont have to lug my laptop around with me on trips.

Since IOS13 now allows you to connect external hard drives directly to the device, i was wondering if anyone knows if the NAV6 can be connected?

Yes it works, sometimes. All iPads are not equal and you need power

Every time with card reader!!

Don't think that's going to work.
People have enough problems updating via PC, despite that PC is the way to go.

Just bought a cheap Coda Spirit laptop from Ebuyer, only has 32GB drive so added a 240G internal SSD drive so the whole thing came to £130 delivered.
Windows 10, USB 3, USB C, SD card reader (upload your photos) 13" HD screen (which is crystal clear). Can charge from power supply or USB C (same as new Android (and soon ALL phones)
Runs Garmin express and Basecamp so you can update routes as you go.
Weight 1220 grams (on my kitchen scales!)

or spend £1k on an IPAD.

Don't think that's going to work.
People have enough problems updating via PC, despite that PC is the way to go.

Just bought a cheap Coda Spirit laptop from Ebuyer, only has 32GB drive so added a 240G internal SSD drive so the whole thing came to £130 delivered.
Windows 10, USB 3, USB C, SD card reader (upload your photos) 13" HD screen (which is crystal clear). Can charge from power supply or USB C (same as new Android (and soon ALL phones)
Runs Garmin express and Basecamp so you can update routes as you go.
Weight 1220 grams (on my kitchen scales!)

or spend £1k on an IPAD.

how well does it run basecamp?

To answer your question, I don’t know but at some point I will give it a go. I don’t know one end of a computer from another. So, if I can make it work, any other chimp should be able to, too.

I have a Nav VI and an up-to-date (iPadOS 13.3) iPad Pro, though its size and weight might well mean I’d be better off still taking my MacBook Air or similar, which has the added advantage of being able to run BaseCamp smoothly, which an iPad (as yet) cannot. If though a lesser iPad can be used to shift simple routes or tracks, without the need to run BaseCamp or other Garmin software, it may yet prove to be a step forward.

how well does it run basecamp?

Only problem was not enough room on 32gb drive for maps (if you want to run without plugging satnav in). Basecamp always looks at C drive location. I downloaded maps to the 240GB drive i'd fitted and put a link in the c drive location to this and it works fine.
Calculating routes seems as fast as my desktop. Screen quality is amazing.

The touch pad is a bit sensitive so suggest a Bluetooth mouse (only one USB port) is worth the cost.

Don't see how it would help, since it wont run Basecamp so you cant create or edit routes. Just put all the routes onto an SD card, share routes the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Berin says above.
Bring the laptop.

For the last year or so I've been using a 15" MacBook Pro that I use for work and is obviously bulkier than my previous MacBook Air that I used to chuck in the motorbike luggage every time without even thinking.
So... I was too toying with the idea to buy an iPad (450ish quid new or tons available used) to use with the Garmin while traveling, but it's not feasible yet.

Going up in cost (Apple products) I'd rather get another spare MacBook Air rather than an iPad pro, but that's personal preferences as I'd find the Air much more useful for other tasks as well.

I guess the OP is planning on creating (or having) the tracks or routes on his iPad but outside of BaseCamp? I assume he then wants to drag / send them across to his Nav VI? I can see some benefit in doing this, as it would do away with the very tortuous way a transfer from an iPad to a Garmin device has to be done at the moment. Other than that, I can’t see any great advantage over using a cheap (or expensive) lap top.

i have done a u-turn on the iPad idea

i then started looking into the Microsoft surfaces. i actually use one at work and they are pretty good, although that's an i7 model and near enough £1700.
after much research, i came across a Chinese company Chuwi. A Kickstarter company with solid reviews.

i have ordered one and it should arrive tomorrow. £339. 256gb SSD and 8gb of memory.
it almost sounds too good to be true so we shall see.
Been a windows 10 machine it should be able to run basecame all day long

I've not connected the Nav6 to an iPad directly, but I have a RavPower FileHub which works perfectly. Nav6 connected to the RavPower and the iPad wireless to the RavPower. I can then drag and drop GPX files directly onto the Nav6. I don't plan on using it extensively but I tend to carry the RavPower with me anyway to backup GoPro footage.

i have done a u-turn on the iPad idea

i then started looking into the Microsoft surfaces. i actually use one at work and they are pretty good, although that's an i7 model and near enough £1700.
after much research, i came across a Chinese company Chuwi. A Kickstarter company with solid reviews.

i have ordered one and it should arrive tomorrow. £339. 256gb SSD and 8gb of memory.
it almost sounds too good to be true so we shall see.
Been a windows 10 machine it should be able to run basecame all day long

How did this work out? Is it any good (in general and for navigation purposes)?

No joy, at least not with a Nav V.

The Nav V lit up and may I guess even be charging from the iPad but, as far as I can see, the iPad cannot 'see' the Nav V or its SD card. I guess I could try attaching an SD card reader to the USB-C port and see if it will see the SD card that way..... except I do not have an USD-C to SD card reader.

No joy, at least not with a Nav V.

The Nav V lit up and may I guess even be charging from the iPad but, as far as I can see, the iPad cannot 'see' the Nav V or its SD card. I guess I could try attaching an SD card reader to the USB-C port and see if it will see the SD card that way..... except I do not have an USD-C to SD card reader.

I've got a lightning to SD card reader for my iPad and with iOS 13 for me at least it seems to read most SD card file systems just fine in the Files app. I've successfully done this to get GPX files onto my TomTom Rider before I sold it so I think this method will work just fine.

I've got a lightning to SD card reader for my iPad and with iOS 13 for me at least it seems to read most SD card file systems just fine in the Files app...... so I think this method will work just fine.

Thank you for that.

If anyone wants to have a go, here’s a handy video on how to move files on an iPhone and an iPad.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zwUkO1bxlcI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Which method do you use?

I'm pretty sure that this has already been taken as gospel already, but at the weekend I got the simple lightning to USB-A adapter and indeed it does not provide the Nav6 with enough power, which is a shame as the Nav is capable of running on battery so I kinda hoped it would be able to accommodate.

Apparently most lightning to USB-A adapters only allow a max draw of 100mAH so it also renders most USB3.0 pen drives unreadable as well. I might get one with both power and USB at some point but the FileHub method works just fine for me for now.

Back
Top Bottom