Difference between GS/A in lugging it around.

I'm about 5'9" so I should manage a standard bike. I've looked into the off-road courses - the BMW one down in South Wales is £500, but it would also give me an opportunity to try both bikes over a day and see how I handle them. Sounds like that might be a good opportunity to make my own mind up...

Thanks all - I'm aware that this sort of question gets asked a lot, but it's been helpful! I've got a garage to overwinter which is pretty easy to get into, but it's more of a concern about getting it between two stone gateposts on the pathway - that tank might make it a bit more like threading a needle. Will check it all out and take those points into account.

The cylinders stick out more than the tank.

Currently have my 2017 r1200gsa in the garage ,plus the brother in laws 2019 f850gs and my new to me 2017 f800gsa.

Physically the r1200gsa and the f800gsa are very similar in size but the 800 is so much easier to move around as the 1200 is a big old lump in combined spaces , the f850gs is like moving a pushbike around the garage .

Worth looking at the new f850 adventure sport it might be worth considering is size/weight is an issue.

I'm about 5'9" so I should manage a standard bike. I've looked into the off-road courses - the BMW one down in South Wales is £500, but it would also give me an opportunity to try both bikes over a day and see how I handle them. Sounds like that might be a good opportunity to make my own mind up...

I did one of their courses last year. Really improves your handling of the bike both during static manoeuvring and of course off road. It also impacts on your road riding, so well worth a visit. The added bonus is that its not your bike, so you can learn how to handle the bike without fear of costly damage! You do the course on a GS not a GSA, but the instructors use GSA and would give you advice and a go at a GSA I am sure.

Maybe for you. The fella I tour with is 5’6”, just over 10st. He rides a 66 plate adventure, and has no problems at all.

Riding them is no problem, getting them in and out of a small shed and turning them in your garden to get them in and out, believe me, is a real handful and the OP's main point of buying was about storage.

Rich seems to manage to get his through the garden gate and up the passage to the side of his house ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got a not too dissimilar problem to you, I have a 1200GS fitted with lower crash bars. I'm 5'9" and weigh 80 kilos, I have to ride down a ramp from the road onto a concrete patio, ride about 12 yds do a 90 degree turn, ride another 12 yds or so, then through a 1 metre wide metal gate ( it just goes through ) then a sharp left turn, through an archway down a small 4 inch step into a small irregular shaped 20 square meter patio. I do not dismount until I'm in the last patio. To turn the bike round is about 4/5 shunts, until I saw a video on youtube, I cant find the exact one, but found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVn1qmzwluE Mine uses the same spinner and metal plate as the youtube one, but nothing else. I just slide the spinner with the metal plate attached under the bike, and put the feet of the center stand on the plate and lift it onto the stand in the normal way. The bike stays on the spinner until my next ride, then I just put a little pressure on the top box, so that the bike is balanced, and walk it around, so easy.

The Canadian chap on the videos idea is great, if you have a smaller bike or long legs. I prefer the GS to the GSA as I only have a 200 mile bladder range..:D and prefer the more nimble GS in the mountains and parking up when out and about.

I hope this helps....:thumb2

There are times when strength does come into it, but really technique is invaluable when manhandling a heavy bike - practice makes perfect.

Just as an example, when you stand beside your bike, you could possibly strain yourself try to push it up a small gentle garage slope, but if you have the confidence to balance the bike almost perfectly upright (with the minimum of lean in) you can easily nudge the cylinder head with your knee (and foot well planted) and it’ll start to roll. The same applies to going backwards if it’s got panniers on, just nudge them with your knee.

Sounds like you could have trouble with a GSA or a GS, get along to the showroom and try bumping one around

:beerjug:

Very true

Absolute nonsense. I have a 29" leg with a standard 68 plate GSA. It's fine. The first two weeks before I squashed the seat down with my weight were a bit hairy but with the seat in low it's not an issue.

As for the 300 mile tank. Wishful thinking if you ride it with any spirit. I get 210/220 to reserve commuting from just outside of London into the middle of the city daily.

As for road presence the GSA has much more. It's massive, imposing, has the crash bars and the spots. I briefly has a standard white 1200 GS before and it's like night and day.

Don’t entirely agree . . . I have both crash bars (upper and lower) and spots on my standard GS so just as much road presence.
I think you’ll find that the water cooled bikes are probably heavier to manoeuvre around than the earlier oil cooled models.
I seem to recall as well that the later water cooled GSAs had slightly lower seats than the earlier bikes.
HTH

Riding them is no problem, getting them in and out of a small shed and turning them in your garden to get them in and out, believe me, is a real handful and the OP's main point of buying was about storage.

Both the GS and GSA will rotate on the spot very easily.
I put a 12 inch square bit of sheet steel on my drive, put the center stand on it, rock the bike on to one leg of the stand and spin it on the spot.
The steel causes far less friction than the concrete of my drive.

OK, so the GSA is heavier, but by how much depends on how full of fuel its 33+L tank is . That weight is no issue when you are used to it. Remember your first days on any larger bike and soon you are in control riding it. I agree that pushing it around is arduous, but if it bothers you the use the engine. Is it bigger than a GS ? :
i-SpczJRM.jpg

It is no wider when filtering, it's all in the mind
Give me the better wind protection any day. I've loved my two GSA's more than my GS.

I think you’ll find that the water cooled bikes are probably heavier to manoeuvre around than the earlier oil cooled models.
I seem to recall as well that the later water cooled GSAs had slightly lower seats than the earlier bikes.
HTH
Who mentioned air Vs water cooled?

If a choice is available

GSA all day long, better weather protection, better luggage usually, and it’s presence is fantastic.

I’ve had lots of GS and the 12 GSA is the best.

If you can manage a GS you can 100 pc manage a gsa.

Either of them, you’ll like a lot.

Fab bikes both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I would go GSA if new back to biking. To be honest the 850GS is a lovely bike that can get a move on when it wants to and is like a push bike to move compared to a 12 GS/GSA as someone else has said. I had one as a courtesy bike for a few days.

GSA works for big tours two up and that’s why I got mine, definitely the best two up but the other two bikes are a wise choice if not you should try them all.

GS is quite a bit easier to manoeuvre than the GSA. it is not the width of the cylinders. It is the width of the tank and tank fairing as you reach across to the handlebars when standing to the side of the bike. It's like carrying boxes: rather carry a small and heavy box than a heavier (+20kg) and larger box.

I won’t have the opportunity to walk next to it - I have to get it through a 110cm gate, so I’d be on it. Shouldn’t be a problem if I can get it straight on, but there’s no dropped kerb so it might be tricky to get the bike through if there’s a car parked outside - it’s a 2.5m pavement tho. I could always experiment with a turning plate if it’s too much of a squeeze, I guess.

Thanks again for all your input.

My setup cost about £20 in total. The spinner ( for want of a better word ) £10 off EBay, a trip to a metal fabrication place for an off cut. My spinner looks just like the one in the video, just drill the steel plate, 4 bolts fix it to the spinner and its done. If I remember correctly, I had to cut the length of the bolts down as I didn’t have any short enough. All in all a 30 minutes job.

Still working 4 years on.

I won’t have the opportunity to walk next to it - I have to get it through a 110cm gate, so I’d be on it. Shouldn’t be a problem if I can get it straight on, but there’s no dropped kerb so it might be tricky to get the bike through if there’s a car parked outside - it’s a 2.5m pavement tho. I could always experiment with a turning plate if it’s too much of a squeeze, I guess.

Thanks again for all your input.

I'm similar in that I have a 1m garden entrance, the same width path outside the house and no dropped kerb too.

Mines a GS and the only issues I have is when a van parks close to the kerb and that only requires a couple more extra back/forward movements to get a suitable angle so the bike can pass.

I've had a run of air cooled gs, lc gs and a lc gsa. I found the gsa really hard to push around at home (I also have a sloping dirveway) and turning it 180deg always gave me a sense of impneing doom - it's so frikin big!
I ended up buying an 850gs instead - it's like a manouvering a push bike in comparison. Worth a test ride, as it's a very similar riding position/feel.
Just my opinion!

Back
Top Bottom