Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difference between GS/A in lugging it around.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Too many assholes...........not enough missiles
    If a choice is available

GSA all day long, better weather protection, better luggage usually, and it’s presence is fantastic.

I’ve had lots of GS and the 12 GSA is the best.

If you can manage a GS you can 100 pc manage a gsa.

Either of them, you’ll like a lot.

Fab bikes both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I would go GSA if new back to biking. To be honest the 850GS is a lovely bike that can get a move on when it wants to and is like a push bike to move compared to a 12 GS/GSA as someone else has said. I had one as a courtesy bike for a few days.

GSA works for big tours two up and that’s why I got mine, definitely the best two up but the other two bikes are a wise choice if not you should try them all.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Who mentioned air Vs water cooled?
    There isn’t an air cooled GSA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GS is quite a bit easier to manoeuvre than the GSA. it is not the width of the cylinders. It is the width of the tank and tank fairing as you reach across to the handlebars when standing to the side of the bike. It's like carrying boxes: rather carry a small and heavy box than a heavier (+20kg) and larger box.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    I won’t have the opportunity to walk next to it - I have to get it through a 110cm gate, so I’d be on it. Shouldn’t be a problem if I can get it straight on, but there’s no dropped kerb so it might be tricky to get the bike through if there’s a car parked outside - it’s a 2.5m pavement tho. I could always experiment with a turning plate if it’s too much of a squeeze, I guess.

Thanks again for all your input.

My setup cost about £20 in total. The spinner ( for want of a better word ) £10 off EBay, a trip to a metal fabrication place for an off cut. My spinner looks just like the one in the video, just drill the steel plate, 4 bolts fix it to the spinner and its done. If I remember correctly, I had to cut the length of the bolts down as I didn’t have any short enough. All in all a 30 minutes job.

Still working 4 years on.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcircular View Post
    I won’t have the opportunity to walk next to it - I have to get it through a 110cm gate, so I’d be on it. Shouldn’t be a problem if I can get it straight on, but there’s no dropped kerb so it might be tricky to get the bike through if there’s a car parked outside - it’s a 2.5m pavement tho. I could always experiment with a turning plate if it’s too much of a squeeze, I guess.

Thanks again for all your input.

I'm similar in that I have a 1m garden entrance, the same width path outside the house and no dropped kerb too.

Mines a GS and the only issues I have is when a van parks close to the kerb and that only requires a couple more extra back/forward movements to get a suitable angle so the bike can pass.

I've had a run of air cooled gs, lc gs and a lc gsa. I found the gsa really hard to push around at home (I also have a sloping dirveway) and turning it 180deg always gave me a sense of impneing doom - it's so frikin big!
    I ended up buying an 850gs instead - it's like a manouvering a push bike in comparison. Worth a test ride, as it's a very similar riding position/feel.
    Just my opinion!

I bought a GSA 13 years ago for my return to bikes. It was a bit intimidating for the first week or so but after that it was fine. Technique plays a major part of pushing it around.....

This thread brings back great memories of trying to get my 125 trailie bike through Mom’s wrought iron gate. Had to get it a just the right angle and then dip each handle bar.

I run a GSA and the trick is not to pussy around it. Get stuck in and she’ll move.

Good luck
    Glenn

First of all, welcome back!

Then I can tell straight away, get the bike you love the most. You will regret it after...

It's a fact that the GS would be easier than the GSA, but with practice and technique you surely can master both.

I'm a small guy and whenever I spoke to my friends about getting a GS they all thought I had lost it, well it has been a number of years and I'm on my second GS and even after trying a bunch of other bikes I wouldn't trade it for any other.

To turn around the bike in tight spaces, get yourself a dolly, they're a god send. I have one on my shed and I simply turn the bike around 180 and tuck it away on a side completely out of the way.

Also, compared to other bikes the turning radius of a GS/GSA is great. Surely you won't be able to do a kickstand flick, but rest the bike on your hip and with the bars all the way over she will come around in tighter areas than any other sport or naked bikes (and that's by experience).

Best of luck!

So I'm 5ft 8, 11 stone. Have a small front garden which I have to park and ground anchor my GSA. Used to own a standard GS then a S1000XR - both easy to 5 point turn manually in the front garden (particularly the XR). My front garden is paved but unevenly (needs changing) and the GSA is simply too heavy for me to manually pull around in a tight uneven space. The answer for me was a Centre-Stand Turntable by EasyTurn which I found through Google and then bought on ebay. It's not the perfect solution because my paving is uneven but it works for me. It's basically a small heavy duty disc that you mount the bike onto using the centre stand and then spin the bike. If your paving is even it's a very good solution.

PS to get to the tight parking space i have to ride the GSA up the pavement, between a narrow gateway and up a short garden path none of which is more difficult on the GSA than the standard GS or the S1000XR. I have a lowered GSA

Here's a photo showing my home made turntable, it may be of interest to someone who has to turn a bike around in a confined space. I have just posted it up on the Bike covers thread in the Pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooky View Post
    Centre-Stand Turntable by EasyTurn
    I'll second that, I've had one in my garage for several years and it works 100% with all of the bikes I've owned since, including - GTR1400, Super Ten, Blackbird, VFR1200X, 1200GS and 1250GSA. Being thin it's easy to get the Bike on its Centre Stand while using.

I have had both and prefer the std GS over the GSA, its not so much the weight but as already said the sheer size of it.

If you like the adv luggage you can bolt it on and if your getting new you can spec the Alu luggage now from build, the same goes for screens, engine bars etc etc.

The best advice is to go and do an off road school session with the BMW off road school, yes it is expensive but you will have a brilliant time and come away with a much better idea of what you are getting into.
    R1200GS Triple black! Lovely
    R1200C Montauk -lovely

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Reminds me when i bought mine, id only recently passd my big bike licence 4 months before, from a 125 scooter to a 650 Dakar took that away to Portugal had to endure riding through france during a petrol strike.

Id always wanted a GSA, the experience of having to look for fuel every 160 miles in a fuel strike made my mind up i wanted a good range.

I remember going for the test ride being so excited and bricking it at the same time. First thing that struck me was it was so much bigger. i was terrified id drop it.
    As i left the the dealer i accidently popped a wheelie nearly shitting myself, I really thought id bitten off more than i could chew.
    Anyhoo after a very short time and calming down the bike was a dream to ride really very easy and forgiving, I was smitten.

I took it to a car park and did some small turning manouvers and got off it and walked it around to see how difficult it was, ok its a big bike but as said earlier its not that bad.
    Since i bought it i must have dropped it (fallen over or very low speed) about eight times in about as many years, ive never had any problems picking it up, admittedly it is quite heavy but so is a standard 1200
    The way i look at it its just a 1200 with a bigger tank nothing more. As said previously its all in the mind, because its bigger doesnt mean it's that much heavier.

If you really fancy a GSA get one dont be put off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123