Right hand indicator switch failure

Dodge62

Reaction score
Hi Folks -

2012 F800GS, the right hand indicator switch has stopped working - as in, you press it and the indicators don't come on and neither does the tell-tale light on the dash. All the other switches on the cluster work OK.

I thought I'd take a look at the switch, but it looks like a bit of nightmare to remove fully (I've got the back panel off) and I rather doubt that I'll be able to get at any switch contacts anyway.

Are there any common failure modes with these? Am I likely to have any alternative to buying a complete new control cluster?

Thanks

Hi Dodge62
I am not sure if this has any relevance to your switch issue on your F800 GS or if the switch gear is the same as fitted to the F800 R.
A couple of years ago I had a 2011 registered BMW F800R which developed a problem with the indicator switch. Having set the switch to turn on the LH or RH indicators I was not able to cancel them and the lamp remained flashing.
I did the usual internet search and discovered that BMW experienced some quality issues with their switches fitted to machines of this period.
With this information I made contact with my local dealer Woolaston BMW in Northampton and after describing the fault to them they offed to replace both handlebar switches free of charge as a good will gesture funded by BMW. I must say I have always received excellent service from them.
I did not purchase my bike from them nor was it in warranty at the time they carried out the fitment of the handlebar switches.
Like I say this may not be relevant to your issue but may be worth investigating with your local BMW dealer.
Regards
norbsa99

Back
Top Bottom