Picos, when?

i went last september 23rd to 27th before heading pyrenees weather was fantastic around 25 degrees and no rain , roads quiet and managed to get round with ease

did a week in very late october into november

3 years ago (!) (thought it was 18 months)

above 20 deg all the time unless very high up

ferries were fine

Of course you know best :rolleyes:

Actually, out of all of you, he probably does in this instance.:D

As has been said above, the weather in northern Spain is notoriously unpredictable but if you are going to play the odds, then September is the better month for weather. The temperatures may be lower in September and the days shorter but you may be glad of both after 9 hours; whether you like scraping pegs, or pottering and enjoying the scenery you will need your wits about you all day on those roads. Enjoyable as they are, irrespective of your style, it's cornering heaven and that saps.

Out there from the 7th of Sept for a week, based in Hotel Del Oso, near Potes, first time to Picos, looking forward to it :thumb

Hello all,

Right off to the Picos for the first time. Is June or the end of September best for weather? Thank you very much.

Right off to Google you go: https://championtraveler.com/dates/best-time-to-visit-picos-de-europa-es/ and draw your own conclusions, summarised as:

4e8d51c11a468f226db3e6881c31ede6.plist

...... and do be sure to ask your wife.

Arguments about one particular hotel have been moved to the hotel section.

Shouldn't there be a sub section called say "Hotel Arguments"?

Oh, and while I'm whittering on, I have noticed, whilst doing endless searches, that there are a very high number of duplicated threads and more than once ? It's utterly piss boiling I can tell you.

I think my question has been answered, I am thinking of hitting the picos in March, ideally for a few tet trails. Pot luck on the weather.

But, does anyone know if there is snow on the tet over the winter, would they still be iffey till the snow melts?

Am I mad to think of the tet routes till may or so?

Merv.

I think my question has been answered, I am thinking of hitting the picos in March, ideally for a few tet trails. Pot luck on the weather.

But, does anyone know if there is snow on the tet over the winter, would they still be iffey till the snow melts?

Merv.

You say you know the answer on the weather. Snow anywhere is as a result of weather. Will the routes be ‘iffy’ until the snow melts.... well, what do you think? Might they be ‘iffy’ after or while the snow melts and it’s freezing? Again, what might you think?

Get out their on your bike and find out. You’ll know by the end of the morning; then adjust your plans accordingly. Bods on this site preach flexibility.... be like the flexible bods.

I think i may be in need of psychiatric help as I am beginning to savour the sport of watching bods get 'Wapped' on here....:green gri

As a past, and surly a future victim too, I hope he doesn’t change. Wapping puts a lot into this site with sharing his knowledge freely. His comments always make me smile. The diversity of characters on here is what makes this place special...:beerjug:

I am now an expert, a few minutes on Weather Spark and I am clued up on the Weather anywhere;

www.weatherspark.com

Of course this is "Average" weather, but gives you an idea of what is typical or quite likely, generally I compare anywhere I am going with where I live, and by doing that I can see that Potes has way less wet days than where I live, the driest time is July if that what's your after (also the hottest)

Early June has rain on 1:5 days, but Late June it is only 1 in 10 - September is the opposite with abotu 1 in 10 days at the start of the month and 1 in 5 at the end, the UK has wet days about 1 in 4 days in the peak of summer...

...All useful stats, but as anyone in the UK will know, despite the stats of 1 rainy day in 4 for the UK summer it can rain every day for a week or more, or we can have a couple of weeks without a drop of rain.

In the last 2 years I have visited the Ardennes in May and September, statistically May is much wetter, both May trips were scorchio, both September trips washed out - so you always have to remember there is a luck element, all you can do is improve your odds (or reduce them)

The other challenge is a "wet" day might be an afternoon shower, common in the Alps in hot weather, so a "wet" day there is often a brief shower, and you might ride all day and miss the showers (or all day riding in the damn things)

Ignoring all the stats the vast majority of my trips have been very good, especially week or longer ones, a weekend trip is the riskier option as it is not uncommon to have 2 or 3 days in a row that are wet, whereas you have to be extremely unlucky to have a whole week washed out - especially in the Pico's, Northern Spain may be "unpredictable" but it is still a lot better than the UK (On Average)

.....The diversity of characters on here is what makes this place special...:beerjug:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ldOnGcaMvC4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Merv.

There aren’t any TET trails in the Picos !!!
There are many trails, such as from Espinama to Sotres etc but the TET itself is at least 60 miles further south !!

1415a79c321f78a6741b5993dc7c6b9e.jpg
e1d28b38899ab20b44891d3c5a112a33.jpg

As a past, and surly a future victim too, I hope he doesn’t change. Wapping puts a lot into this site with sharing his knowledge freely. His comments always make me smile. The diversity of characters on here is what makes this place special...:beerjug:

Surly. That's an apposite typo

Back
Top Bottom