Picos, when?

pikeman

Reaction score
Hello all,

Right off to the Picos for the first time. Is June or the end of September best for weather? Thank you very much.

I went last June and the weather was a mixed bag of very hot, to cold and wet. The weather in Northern Spain is unpredictable to say the least.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you, the other half wants a tan lol so June looks good !! She also wants a chance of a smooth crossing too lol.

I would not go earlier than Mid September - in 2018 I saw 30C+ in Las Arenas around 20th Sept. Over 40C when I got to Porto. Last year it was a little cooler and damp on a few days but still in mid 20s most days.

I'm going again this year for 2 weeks arriving 27 Sept. I will take 2 jackets - the Rukka Goretex and the Rukka Airider.

Thank you, the other half wants a tan lol so June looks good !! She also wants a chance of a smooth crossing too lol.

smooth and Biscay are not guaranteed in any month - if she is prone to being sea sick then I hope you are on the Cap F or Pont Aven not the Economie boats. I came home on the Baie de Seine last year and I was in a small group in the bar in the evening as most people were turning green in their cabins. The cheap boats do not have the same stabilising ability as the more modern ships.

hi, yes did my research and we are on the Pont Aven both ways. Never taken the bike on a ferry before but it looks quite straight forward from the youtube vids.

Stugeron is the friend of people who suffer mal de mer, available at your local pharmacy.

We went in June a few years ago - big storms and rough seas! I think that can happen any time of year.

I've been to Picos in June and September. They're mountains quite near the sea and prevailing wind, so the weather is changeable all year round. Personally, I'd choose September.

Picos August , 35 degrees in the town's , walk on ice on the high passes in the afternoon, it has everything

Steve

I was in the Picos in June last year and it was snowing on the high passes. Cold as a witches' tit. Had to stop to clear snow off the screens to be able to see.

We stayed at the Hotel Rebeco in Fuente De then took the A621 (fantastic road) down towards Leon

Then the next day when we got lower and further south it was bloody lovely.

Anyway....pack for both extremes!

Biscay was rough as old boots on the way out and smooth as glass on the way home.

I would say that trying to make a prediction of the weather in any month of the year in this area is like many other areas of Europe and for that the World....Impossible to say what it is going to do these days.....Snow in Texas last weekend and Saudi on Tuesday, camels in the desert laying on the snow.....I was in Spain and Portugal over Xmas and the New Year and the rain was fierce for two weeks apparently and the day after we got to Portugal it stopped and came out sunny for 3 weeks, with frost at night, when we returned through Spain last week, there was freezing fog in the valleys and the tops of the Extremadura mountains were 12 - 15 degrees and bright sunshine, all very weird!
I would be more concerned with the cinereous Vultures and how you would fare if unable to move or knocked out if you come off your bike, as the vultures are the largest in the world with a 10ft wingspan and weighing up to 20K and they do have the largest beak of any bird in the world and we encountered a group of them and they are fucking huge....Properly tooled up for ripping you apart, they feed on boar, cows and sheep.

hi, yes did my research and we are on the Pont Aven both ways. Never taken the bike on a ferry before but it looks quite straight forward from the youtube vids.

BF is easy. Simply ride to where they tell you on the deck, get off, take overnight bag from top box, stash helmet and head to the stairwell or lift. The deck hand will strap the bike for you, unlike P&O at Calais who might give you a rusty ratchet strap or rope.

Thanks all. Not sure im much clearer re time of year lol so going to try June and see how it is!!

Its a bit daft saying June will be hot,as it’s not a given !
I was there for a week in June in 2018 and it was low 20s all week so perfect.Very little rain either.
Also go most years in September and that’s a mixed bag too.Normally similar temperatures so mid/high 20s but venture south a bit and it soon heats up.

Find out when I’m going and then go same time

I’m always a jammy git with weather.

Bottom line is it’s a variable feast. At a minimum it’ll nearly always be better than the UK pound for pound.

Don’t get too wrapped up about it, just go at a vaguely sensible time and it’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you know best :rolleyes:

Well having seen temperatures between freezing and 30 degs C in the Picos in June , I know it’s a bit silly to state that “ it’ll be hot” .
Having studied meteorology a bit I may actually know a tad more than some , and much less than others , so go troll elsewhere .

ferry to Santander in June, rained for 3 days in the picos 7 deg. fog. travelled across
to Madrid 43 deg. then across the Pyranese 35 deg and up through France.
If I went again would probably be September time. But not really a lover of Spain or the Spanish.

Back
Top Bottom