1150gsa petrol leak

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having never filled the tank above 3/4 i decided to put a bit more in at the werkend. Went to garage yesterday to strong smell of petrol and a few ml on the floor. Does anyone know if there is an overflow or breather on these tanks that might be an issue? Thanks

Yes there is a breather pipe, it should appear somewhere behind your Right foot inboard of the footrest. A common mistake that can cause spillage is to let fuel spill into the filler cap recess which has its own drain tube that terminates in the same place.

might have dislodged breathers

when i lifted tank to replace the battery. Will have to wait until i use most of the fuel before attempting to lift the tank! Thanks for the responses

Pull off the black plastic cover on the Right hand side just below the tank, the push fit unions for both breathers should be visible behind the bracket holding the multiplug. Lifting the tank on an 1150 often has consequences, if you find it running like a stuck pig then ask on here; it's a very simple fix.

Fuel is stored underground, when you fill your tank full and just store it, the fuel will heat up and expand.

The tank has an air gap built into it to allow for this expansion, but some people drill holes in the filler neck to get more in, which decreases the size of the air gap. Either way, once the fuel expands into the air gap the pressure relief/air vent valve will pass the fuel out through it’s drain to the ground.

Check your QD connectors mine split filing the garage with fuel and fumes I've replaced them with stainless steel ones

Conclusion, just for the record. Despite no mention in clymer manual the gsa with big tank has a balance pipe from one lower side to the other. Someone has sensibly put a t type non return valve on one side. When lifting the tank to put battery in I obviously strained/partly opened that valve. It appears to have clicked back into place but will be monitoring. Cheers all

Actually not the conclusion! Whenever the bike is left with more than around a third in the tank I return to find fuel leaked onto the left hand side, but given it’s on side stand that may not be the location. The two breather pipes on the right look dry so the thought I had that maybe one had come loose at the filler neck is unlikely. Any thoughts appreciated

The 'O' rings in the quick disconnect valves are susceptible to damage and decay; fit ss replacements very carefully and all will be well :thumb

The 'O' rings in the quick disconnect valves are susceptible to damage and decay; fit ss replacements very carefully and all will be well :thumb

Why would it only leak when the tank is more than 1/3 full though? Extra pressure on the seals maybe?

The oem connectors are plastic, but there are stainless replacements available; apologies for the confusion.

I am wondering if anyone has had an o ring failure on the plate that holds the fuel pump, gauge and filter which is about half way up the inside right of the tank??

The fragile bit of that plate is the captive bolts which regularly break on dissembly; maybe your bike has one or two studs missing causing the leak.

It the inspection plate has been removed recently, then the o-ring can swell, not seating properly.
You need to check the studs to make sure they are all still there.
Also check the condition of the supply and return lines where they fix to the inspection plate.

A pic or 2 will help

The fragile bit of that plate is the captive bolts which regularly break on dissembly; maybe your bike has one or two studs missing causing the leak.

I guess if that is the case the tank is caput?

Now i am cufewed i will get the tank off completly

Back
Top Bottom