Rubber talk - Dunlop Trailmax mission?

RTV

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm almost at that time of the year where I'll be looking to replace the rubber on my GS Rallye which I bought with Anakee 3. They're fine, but not my fav by any means.

On my old Hex head I tried the K60 Scout which were pretty nice offroad (certainly a huge step up from the Anakee that I originally had as well) but not great for wet/cold days on road and we have way too many of those here in Ireland :aidan

For my last trip around the alps with the Hex I went for the Micheline Anakee Adventure which I found absolutely amazing for on road use, but never got to do any offroad except for your average country road with a bit of gravel and dirt which was fine but wouldn't call that off road.

Any of you has any experience with the Trailmax Mission? They're fairly brand new and I've seen really promising review in the webs but it always makes me wonder how biased those opinions are, so I was hoping for some real life/real rider experiences and see if I should try those or still with the Anakee ADV and quite possibly sacrifice off road capability.

Thank you in advance!! :bow

Rami

Hi Rami,
The new Dunlops have only been announced.
(Dunlop Trailsmart Max are a brilliant tyre, but might not have the thread blocks you need for your new hobby!!)

Maybe try the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR or I'm sure you have heard me mention Avon Trailrider before.

from my G8 ThinQ

Hi bud, I believe they're for sale already that's why I was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience.

Not a fan of the Avon, no idea how they actually perform I just don't like them visually. I'll do more research on the Scorpio but those look to be more in the TKC80 realm and I'm looking for something a little bit more road bias than a full on nobby.

Cheers,
Rami

Hi bud, I believe they're for sale already that's why I was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience.

Not a fan of the Avon, no idea how they actually perform I just don't like them visually. I'll do more research on the Scorpio but those look to be more in the TKC80 realm and I'm looking for something a little bit more road bias than a full on nobby.

Cheers,
Rami
Rami, the Scorpion STR is not in the same category as the TKC80.

You will be amazed by the level of grip (dry or wet) that the Pirelli gives.
I just noticed over the last while that you like to take the bike away from the tarmac....... I just think that the STR might be the best compromise for you.

from my G8 ThinQ

Rami, the Scorpion STR is not in the same category as the TKC80.

You will be amazed by the level of grip (dry or wet) that the Pirelli gives.
I just noticed over the last while that you like to take the bike away from the tarmac....... I just think that the STR might be the best compromise for you.

from my G8 ThinQ
I'll dig more into them and see what's the verdict.

Thanks
Mmmm not really there's just one lad there that got them and praises them but not much detail in fairness.

Thanks for the link though, I'll keep investigating.

Cheers
Rami

Dunlop seem to have been busy lately , they have just released the Trailsmart Meridian which is slightly more off road orientated than the brilliant Trailsmart max tyres I use on the r1200gsa.

Once in stock by dealers will be putting a set of Meridians on the 800

Dunlop seem to have been busy lately , they have just released the Trailsmart Meridian which is slightly more off road orientated than the brilliant Trailsmart max tyres I use on the r1200gsa.

Once in stock by dealers will be putting a set of Meridians on the 800
I've been keeping an eye on these.
To look at the thread pattern, particularly the front, you would think it was more road focused.

from my G8 ThinQ

Never ran any of the Dunlops on my ADV type bikes, but they were always my favorites on sportier machines. E.g. the sportsmart and GP211/GP212s

I might try the Trailsmart max next time round

Never ran any of the Dunlops on my ADV type bikes, but they were always my favorites on sportier machines. E.g. the sportsmart and GP211/GP212s

You won't go far wrong with the Trailsmart Max.......great mileage, very comfortable and quite and not too far away from the class leaders grip wise.

I think I'm going to go back to them for my next set.

from my G8 ThinQ

Trailsmart Max on the back of my 1200gsa wc is now on 6000 miles plus with still 4.5mm of tread left

You won't go far wrong with the Trailsmart Max.......great mileage, very comfortable and quite and not too far away from the class leaders grip wise.

I think I'm going to go back to them for my next set.

from my G8 ThinQ

What would you say is class leading gripwise?

i have had great success with the scorpion trail 2s before

What would you say is class leading gripwise?

i have had great success with the scorpion trail 2s before
Yeah the Scorpion Trail 2, the PR4 and Avon Trailrider

(obviously just my opinion)
from my G8 ThinQ

So I take that no one here has had any experience with the Mission yet? Very curious about those tyres but have some concerns about performance in the wet.

So I take that no one here has had any experience with the Mission yet? Very curious about those tyres but have some concerns about performance in the wet.

Hi Rami,

Have you considered the new Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41? Below is a very good review and a test video.
If you look at the video from around 22 minutes, you'll see how great these handle in very wet conditions.
These might even be the successor of the mighty TKC80.

https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2019/03/04/bridgestone-ax41-adventurecross-adv-tire-review/

Hi Rami,

Have you considered the new Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41? Below is a very good review and a test video.
If you look at the video from around 22 minutes, you'll see how great these handle in very wet conditions.
These might even be the successor of the mighty TKC80.

https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2019/03/04/bridgestone-ax41-adventurecross-adv-tire-review/

They do look great, but not what I'm looking for... Not for now at least.

I do take the bike off-road but not enough to compromise my commute. I'm looking for something 70/30 or 60/40.... On/off-road...

For what I've seen, and even videos from the exact same guy as above the missions look like they're around those numbers, while they claim 50/50, I would say they're more in the 60/40 realm....

I need to convince my friends to drop their S1000s and gixers and join for adventures around the forest.... Going on my own is not going to work well at some point with the GS. If I get myself a super aggressive Tyre, I know I will push to find the limit and that normally ends in "ouch".

They do look great, but not what I'm looking for... Not for now at least.

My bad, I misunderstood which tyre type you were after :blast

If you are more road biased, also have a look at the Conti TrailAttack 3. I had the TA2s and they were outstanding. Apparently the TA3s are even better.
Stick has tested them and should be able to give you a good review.

Hi @RTV ,

Did you ever get the missions? I live in the UK and ride rain or shine (or snow or ice), on and off road, so I also want to make sure I grip on wet tarmac with them long term. I read in a thread once worn in they lost she traction, but that statement came from one person, so not sure how many people they are getting that off on. Would love some real life feedback from you if you have any. :)

Thank you!

Yannick

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom