Problems after updating to 2020.30 maps - NOW RESOLVED - SCROLL TO THE END - Feb 2020

I have been playing with Basecamp to see if I can find a solution to this issue:

(Note: I am using an Apple Mac running OS Catalina 10.15.3)

a) I have completely unistalled the Basecamp App from my laptop (from the Applications folder and the Library folder, as per the guidance given by you in an earlier email.

b) I have deleted the 2020.3 mapping from my laptop.

c) Attached a Nuvi device and reloaded the 2020.3 mapping to my laptop

d) Reloaded Basecamp from the Garmin website - so I am running Basecamp version 4.8.7. And have ensured that the 2020.3 mapping is ticked in the Maps fropdown menu

e) I have not reloaded any data saved from My Collection, so I have a ‘virgin’ Basecamp running on my laptop

f) I created two Waypoints

g) Created a Route using these two Waypoints with the ‘Driving’ Activity, and it shows as a straight/direct line on the screen.

h) Hitting the ‘Recalculate Route’ button does NOT change it from a straight line

i) The Info tab gives the following data:

Welsh Road to Ramp and 15
Number of Stops: 1
Total Distance: 7.7 km
Transportation Method: Car
Total Moving Time: 0 s
Total Time: 0 s
Course: 107° true
Number of Directions: 2

As you can see, the Total Dist is 7.7km but the Travel time is ZERO.

This seems to suggest that the Activity chosen (Driving in this case) does not have a vehicle speed

j) I then, with the above route selected and opened) tried clicking Activity button.

k) None of the other ‘vehicle’ options in ‘Activity' has any impact on the route shown. It stays as a straight line

l) However, if I click the ‘Walking’ Activity the route changes to a wiggly line, and the following shows in the Info tab:

Welsh Road to Ramp and 15
Number of Stops: 1
Total Distance: 10.9 km
Transportation Method: Pedestrian
Total Moving Time: 2 h, 22 min
Total Time: 2 h, 22 min
Course: 107° true
Number of Directions: 19

In this case the mode of transport (feet!) seems to impose a travelling speed on the route!

I have attached a couple of screen shots showing the ‘Driving’ and ‘Walking’ versions of the route

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 15.47.13.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 15.47.13.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 15.47.25.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 15.47.25.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 145
OK

I am now sitting at my Mac.

If we go back to post 1, I have downloaded the route Roadchef Chester M56 to North Wales Expressway Eastbound. This was the file I could download to my iPad and display in Scenic (again on my iPad) perfectly. When I open it on my Mac, I have:

Start point
End point
And..... a straight line joining the two together. In a way this is encouraging as you have a straight line, too!

Going into 'Get Info' there were no 'Directions' shown in the pop-up window. It is a straight line, pure and simple.

By default the route arrived to me as Activity 'Driving'. As soon as I changed it to Activity 'Motorcycling' the route recalculated and presented itself correctly, following the roads A to B exactly. Recalculation has mended it. It now goes A to B, following roads according to my preference settings.

Changing the Activity back to 'Driving' did not change the magenta line back to a straight one, it stayed wiggly.

So...

1. We therefore know that the route you shared arrives in an unrecalculated form A to B

2. As soon as it is recalculated or the Activity is changed, the route displays properly

3. Once recalculated the route stays that way, displaying perfectly

I then deleted the route and downloaded it again, just to see what happened. Again it came in as a straight line A to B.

I tried 'Create track from route'. The track was straight, A to B

I then left the Activity as 'Driving' but simple asked BaseCamp to 'Recalculate Route'. The route rendered up was correct and wiggly, A to B.

Conclusion:

The route you have shared needs recalculation or it displays as a straight line A to B

Once recalculated, the route requires no further recalculation

If the route is deleted and downloaded again, the route defaults back to a straight line and needs to be recalculated again. Once done, it requires no further recalculation.

I can only guess that the original route was somehow created in the Activity 'Direct'. Recalculating it in another Activity (like Motorcycling) forces a recalculation (obviously) and then all is well. If I am right, that would explain why your route opened up in Scenic on my iPad; Scenic made a recalculation, too.

Here is a link to my recalculated route.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66gm7idf3... to North Wales Expressway Eastbound.GPX?dl=0

What happens when you run my route in BaseCamp, Paul?

Straight line?

Wiggly line?

Recalculation made?

Richard

NOW SEE POSTS 24 and 25.....

STOP THE PRESSES.....

Something odd has happened.

I realised that I was running the test above in map version: 2020.2

I have now run it again in 2020.3

Something odd happens to the route.

If I switch from a wiggly 'Motorcycle' version of the route in 2020.2 straight into 2020.3 it stays wiggly. If I then chose Activity 'Direct' and recalculate it, it goes straight A to B.

If I then stay in 2020.3 and switch the Activity from 'Direct' to 'Motorcycle' and hit recalculate, nothing happens. It stays straight.

If I then switch back to 2020.2 it will recalculate back and forwards between 'Direct' (straight) and 'Motorcycle' quite happily.

I can't tell if there is something inside the route that stops it recalculating in 2020.3 or something else.....

I will try to find out.

Here is what I have found....

If I create a fresh route in 2020.2 I can switch and recalculate between 'Motorcycle' wiggly and 'Direct' straight line A to B at will.

If I then open the same route in 2020.3, I can switch it from 'Motorcycle' (wiggly) into 'Direct' straight line.... But I cannot switch it back again..... until I open it up in 2020.2 when I can switch between 'Motorcycle' and 'Direct' at will.

I can do more than agree with Paul that there is a glitch in the 2020.3 maps on a Mac, at least. Something is stopping the 2020.3 version of the maps from allowing recalculation when changing activities.

Thankfully I haven't deleted map set 2002.2 from my Mac, though I am running 2002.3 on a Nav V and 2020.2 on a Nav VI. That shouldn't make too much difference and I can always check the routes when they are sent across to each device.

Yup, Im on a Mac and have updated to 2020.3 and now have the same problem.:blast

Richard: many thanks for your efforts. I was beginning to feel that I was going loopy! Your efforts on my behalf are much appreciated

Stever1 : hopefully you have not deleted the 2020.2 maps. Because, like a fool, I did delete them!!!! Never had an issue before and got too cocky!!!!!

I will phone Garmin tomorrow and share the results of our/your research and hope that they can send me the 2020.2 maps to tide me over.
- I assume that it is not just a question of getting someone to download the map file from their computer and loading it up on mine. I assume that there are attached validation files involved too

Paul,

I doubt if a third party copy of the map would work as they need to be unlocked and coded to a specific device. If you can get one from Garmin, great.

Richard

Richard what happens if you use the edit function undo, thats presuming you have that on a mac, instead of switching back. it should in theory undo the change.

Paul,

I doubt if a third party of the map would work as they need to be unlocked and coded to a specific device. If you can get one from Garmin, great.

Richard

I'll be phoning Garmin this morning to share the results of your experiments.

I'll not be so quick to delete older versions of the maps in future

Update!!!

Spoke with Garmin today and shared Richard's (Wappings's) test findings.

They have a 'Workaround' for this "known" problem:

"Hi Paul,
Thank you for your call,
Please follow the link below to the page with information about your issue;

BaseCamp for Mac Routing Not Working on City Navigator Europe 2020.30

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know. Alternatively you can search for a solution here: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/
Kind regards,
Stephen
Garmin Europe"

I won't bother sharing the link, as it is useless!!

All they suggest doing is to connect your device to the computer and use the maps from the device when trying to use Basecamp.

Well, you may have spotted the fatal flaw in their workaround: when uploading the updated maps to your device, the device automatically deletes old versions of the maps. So, the only versions of the maps available via your device are the latest, 2020.3, maps. And, of course, BC does NOT work with the 2030.3 maps!!!!!

Anyway, I delved into my Apple Time Machine backups and found the deleted 2020.2 maps. 'Restored' them and hey presto, BC now works if I select the 2020.2 maps in the dropdown menu.

Let;s see what 'final' fix Garmin come up with. In the meantime, I will be using BC with the 2020.2 maps

btw, for those of us that updated our devices to 2020.3 maos, as we now only have 2020.3 maps on our devices, I presume that you cannot do any route creation on your devices. I must admit, I have not checked, as I had enough on my plate trying to get BC working

Not much comfort but from the Garmin Users Forum, it’s a Google translation from Swiss...

"We (Garmin) have isolated reports that contain the problem you are describing.

The relevant development departments in the USA have already been informed of the facts. The colleagues there check the problem and work on a solution.

Until then, we would like to ask you to be patient.

Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to make a statement as to when and in what form a solution will be available."

Not much comfort but from the Garmin Users Forum, it’s a Google translation from Swiss...

Yep, I had a similar email from Garmin UK.

But at least I managed to recover my 2020.2 maps, so now I can again use BC for holiday planning etc. Be sure that I will post up any response from Garmin.

Whilst we wait, I will (when I get time) transfer a route to my Nav 5 (which of course is now running the 2020.3 maps) just to check that that is able to run the route ok. If not, it will be back to paper maps for May's jaunt

It should be OK, Paul.

You may get a message that says something like, “This route was created on different maps. Would you like to recalculate?”.

Click Yes. If it looks OK (same distance, same roads, same shape) you are good to go.

If it looks very different, try again clicking ‘No’ and look again

Either way you’ll end up doing some sort of recalculation on import.

It always helps if:

A. You check ALL your imports BEFORE you leave home, as fixing them are easier now than later. I always import all of mine in advance, display them on the device and check them. The odd mile or two variation doesn’t matter too much.

B. The settings on the device match those on your Mac or home computer

I'm very pleased that I found this thread. I have been having the exact same issue as Paul and I am on a Mac as well. Spent hours trying to get the wiggly lines to work but gave up in the end and decided that I would have to use a different nav software. I too deleted my previous maps. Hadn't thought of going into Time Machine to get them back though. Thanks for that tip.

. I too deleted my previous maps. Hadn't thought of going into Time Machine to get them back though. Thanks for that tip.

Yes, I breathed a sigh of relief when I got my 2020.2 maps back from Time Machine

It should be OK, Paul.

You may get a message that says something like, “This route was created on different maps. Would you like to recalculate?”.

Click Yes. If it looks OK (same distance, same roads, same shape) you are good to go.

If it looks very different, try again clicking ‘No’ and look again

Either way you’ll end up doing some sort of recalculation on import.

It always helps if:

A. You check ALL your imports BEFORE you leave home, as fixing them are easier now than later. I always import all of mine in advance, display them on the device and check them. The odd mile or two variation doesn’t matter too much.

B. The settings on the device match those on your Mac or home computer

Richard

Thanks for the advice & support as always. Appreciated

Garmin tell me that a fix for the problem is due to be released “....at the end of February”.

Back
Top Bottom