Problems after updating to 2020.30 maps - NOW RESOLVED - SCROLL TO THE END - Feb 2020

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I have hit a problem with Basecamp after updating to the latest version of the maps (2020.3)

* I updated the maps on the computer to 2020.3 (and those maps are ticked in the maps drop-down menu at the top of the BC screen)
* I open a route created with previous version of the maps and it shows as a wiggly line on the screen
* If I amend that route, either by changing the Activity from Motorbike to Driving, or deleting a Waypoint, the wiggly line changes to straight lines between the waypoints.
* But, if I click Edit|Undo I can revert to the original wiggly line

And, if I create a new route (see attached), it shows as a straight line. Clicking on "Recalculate Route" has no impact, it does not change to a route that follows the roads

Anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• Roadchef Chester M56 J141 to North Wales Expressway Eastbound.GPX
    6.6 KB · Views: 84
Watching this thread, as I can't install the latest Garmin Express on my Win10 desktop and when I downloaded 2020.3 on a laptop and copied the map to the desktop, it shows as locked. If I unlock it using Garmin Connect online, it still only works if the Zumo's plugged in.

Currently corresponding with Garmin, whose latest piece of advice is to use a different computer :blast

Have a look under Edit/Options/Activity Profile and look at the choices in the Routing tab. Try turning off the avoidances. If this doesn't help it seems as though Basecamp isn't reading the new map. What happens if you try creating a route in the previous map version? If this works then there may be some corruption in the 2020.30 map.

Have a look under Edit/Options/Activity Profile and look at the choices in the Routing tab. Try turning off the avoidances. If this doesn't help it seems as though Basecamp isn't reading the new map. What happens if you try creating a route in the previous map version? If this works then there may be some corruption in the 2020.30 map.
Unfortunately, and stupidly, I deleted the previous version of the maps (2020.20), so cannot select them

I have reinstalled the maps (2020.30) and the maps are displayed correctly on the BC screen, with the route following the actual roads. The straightlining happens when I ask it to recalculate after changing the Activity or amending a Waypoint

I will try deleting all avoidances from the activity as suggested

Another user on an Italian forum I'm part of is having the exact same issue. Trying to understand why.

Have contacted Garmin and waiting for their response, which I will post here if it works

Problems after updating to 2020.30 maps

Paul, I have not come across a problem like yours before and can’t see anything close on UKGSer.

It’s odd that the software renders up a correct wiggly route but then displays straight lines if you alter it. Nine times out of 10, straight lines basically means one thing..... the software lacks data (breadcrumbs) between known points to match with known roads - in other words either the breadcrumbs are getting lost (by altering the route / mode of transport) or by altering the route, the map is no longer able to see the breadcrumbs, somehow. Why, is a mystery.

I use a Mac, does your PC have a ‘back’ or ‘undo change’ button? In other words, if you have a correct wiggly line which you then alter, giving straight lines as a result, can you undo the alteration? If so, does going back, return the wiggly line or does it remain straight? If they rerun to being wiggly, does hitting ‘back’ again, change them to straight?

There certainly seems to be nothing wrong with the route you shared with us. I am not using my Mac but have opened up the gpx file in Scenic on my iPad. It appears to look fine.

6a36cce54d9270f07db63bbab31a8844.png

Richard

I am on a Mac too.

Re your question, if I open a already created route, it shows a wiggly line matching the roads

. If I then either change the 'Activity' from motorcycling to driving, or if I delete a waypoint, and hit recalculate it goes to straight lines. But if I hit 'undo' it does indeed go back to the original wiggly line

I am thinking that I need to completely uninstall Basecamp and re-install. And I think I need to completely uninstall all the other files created by BC, not just drag the application into the Trash to delete it. I just need to check how to do it, without losing all my existing collection of routes. Ideas?

Copy all your routes and data onto a memory stick or dump the lot into something like Dropbox. That is what I do, just to keep them safe, no matter what.

When you’ve done that, delete BaseCamp and its maps into trash and empty the trash completely. I guess you could run some clean-up software too, though you are now leaving my pay grade. I always follow the Mac or Garmin instructions on how to remove / delete stuff. Those who know what they are doing may well be more adventurous.

Report back at leisure.

To fully remove BC you want to clean up into ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/

Well, Garmin suggested a complete uninstall of BC, having first exported all of the "My Collection" files

BC reloaded, "My Collection" files reloaded and the problem persists!!!!!!

Now waiting for Garmin to come up with a fix

I have installed 2020.30 on a PC and have no problems with straight lines.

After installation, most (but weirdly not all) the routes created with an earlier version of the maps seem to revert to no transport mode selected.

If I then want to reuse the old routes, I am forced to recalculate them with the relevant transport mode.

Attachments

• tempsnip.jpg
    tempsnip.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 379
I am at a loss Paul, I'm afraid.

As nobody else (touch wood) seems to have the problem, I can only guess it lies somewhere inside your Mac. Do you have another home computer / laptop you can try it on?

Edit.... Just seen post 13...does that help?

Last edited:
News, but all bad!!

Still waiting for Garmin to investigate etc

So, in the meantime, I saved/exported my "My Collection" files and then fully un-installed BC, including all Library files etc.

Then deleted the 2020.3 maps from my computer (An Apple Mac Pro)

Connected a Garmin satnav (already updated to 2020.3) and loaded the maps onto my laptop

Downloaded a new Bc to my laptop

Opened BC (which as expected was completely data-less)

Ticked the 2020.3 maps in the Maps dropdown

Created two random Waypoints

Created an A to B route with those Waypoints

And guess what? Yep, it shows as a straight line and will not change from that if I click the 'Recalculate' button

So it does its straight-line trick even without any of my existing routes on

It sounds like there is a chunk of BaseCamp missing, being the bit that links the route’s squiggly bits to the map. I cannot imagine why. I can only suggest trying it on a different computer.

News, but all bad!!

Still waiting for Garmin to investigate etc

So, in the meantime, I saved/exported my "My Collection" files and then fully un-installed BC, including all Library files etc.

Then deleted the 2020.3 maps from my computer (An Apple Mac Pro)

Connected a Garmin satnav (already updated to 2020.3) and loaded the maps onto my laptop

Downloaded a new Bc to my laptop

Opened BC (which as expected was completely data-less)

Ticked the 2020.3 maps in the Maps dropdown

Created two random Waypoints

Created an A to B route with those Waypoints

And guess what? Yep, it shows as a straight line and will not change from that if I click the 'Recalculate' button

So it does its straight-line trick even without any of my existing routes on

Hi Paul,

My Basecamp is working perfectly (see post #13).

However, I have managed to replicate your problem. I did this by going into the activity mode e.g. driving, motorcycling etc and selecting option "Direct". This immediately produced straight lines which were not affected by the recalculate button.

Confusingly the icon for direct activity mode - highlighted in red - is exactly the same as the routing function - highlighted in blue.

I hope this helps ....

John

Attachments

• Direct.jpg
    Direct.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 148
Hi Paul,

My Basecamp is working perfectly (see post #13).

However, I have managed to replicate your problem. I did this by going into the activity mode e.g. driving, motorcycling etc and selecting option "Direct". This immediately produced straight lines which were not affected by the recalculate button.

Confusingly the icon for direct activity mode - highlighted in red - is exactly the same as the routing function - highlighted in blue.

I hope this helps ....

John

John

Man thanks

Have a hospital appointment this morning, but I will check this out and have a play this afternoon.

John

Man thanks

Have a hospital appointment this morning, but I will check this out and have a play this afternoon.

John

I am an Apple Mac, so my screen is different to yours. But I have played around with Activities etc and nothing makes a blind bit of difference

Back
Top Bottom