Motobatt failing

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It was a tad Chilly this morning lol

went to start, and i got a quick burst of life from the engine and it stalled

Tried again and the same, the third time it was just the clonk clonk clonk of the solenoid

waited a couple of minutes, and tried again ... Clonk, clonk, clonk

Now the mottobatt is only 18 months old at best, so could be coming to an early demise ...

As a last resort, i popped the bike into gear and rocked it back and forth a couple of times, tried it again and it started. but it was definatly sluggish on tickover,

(20W/50) will do that lol

So rather than faf around with recharging etc, ive learnt from bitter experiance, it will fail and fail when i least expect it.

So i was toying with an oddseyy battery ..

I see Nippys do a modded one for the GS ... is it any good??

Motobatt replaced one for me FOC when it failed just short of 2 years. Contact whoever you bought it from.

Motobatt replaced one for me FOC when it failed just short of 2 years. Contact whoever you bought it from.

What he says.

Ps:. My odyssee has been in my bike since before July of 2008 when I bought it. Never let me down and it's never been on a trickle charger. I have left it for months over the winter before and it's still been fine in the spring. (Alarm isn't self setting)
Mind you I have a motobatt one one of my TL's and it's been fine without ever being on a charger too.

It was a tad Chilly this morning lol

went to start, and i got a quick burst of life from the engine and it stalled

Tried again and the same, the third time it was just the clonk clonk clonk of the solenoid

waited a couple of minutes, and tried again ... Clonk, clonk, clonk

Now the mottobatt is only 18 months old at best, so could be coming to an early demise ...

As a last resort, i popped the bike into gear and rocked it back and forth a couple of times, tried it again and it started. but it was definatly sluggish on tickover,

(20W/50) will do that lol

So rather than faf around with recharging etc, ive learnt from bitter experiance, it will fail and fail when i least expect it.

So i was toying with an oddseyy battery ..

I see Nippys do a modded one for the GS ... is it any good??

How long had your bike been stood idle?
I'm only saying this because of the cold weather, so plugged into an optimiser might be the way to go.
Furthermore, a few days on an optimiser could bring the battery back up to scratch.
I switch my optimiser between two bikes in winter when idle and the batteries are fine. Both Motobatt.

How long had your bike been stood idle?
I'm only saying this because of the cold weather, so plugged into an optimiser might be the way to go.
Furthermore, a few days on an optimiser could bring the battery back up to scratch.
I switch my optimiser between two bikes in winter when idle and the batteries are fine. Both Motobatt.

Stood idle for 14 hrs lol

Span over fine this evening after the run home

When it is running- check that the alternator is chucking 14+V into the battery (multimeter)
Is it possible that you are using extra lights/heated grips/short runs just now, and the bike is being put away with a partially-depleted battery?

Before starting - what is the at-rest battery voltage? Should be 12.6v or slightly more.
When you do kick it over - what voltage does it drop to when cranking.

It sounds battery-related, but you need to ensure that when you put the bike away - that the battery has been maintained at 12.6v up to that point.

When it is running- check that the alternator is chucking 14+V into the battery (multimeter)
Is it possible that you are using extra lights/heated grips/short runs just now, and the bike is being put away with a partially-depleted battery?

Before starting - what is the at-rest battery voltage? Should be 12.6v or slightly more.
When you do kick it over - what voltage does it drop to when cranking.

It sounds battery-related, but you need to ensure that when you put the bike away - that the battery has been maintained at 12.6v up to that point.

It span over fine this morning, typical as i ordered an odyssy battery last night

Back
Top Bottom