Tizi n Test question...

MaxB

Reaction score
Hi all.

Advice sought. I'm going to a yoga retreat near Agadir this July (stop sniggering at the back...) and have decided to ride down there on my GS.

I'm on a slightly tight schedule, with a couple of nights to play with in each direction from Tanger to Agadir. In one direction, I will take the coastal route, via Rabat and Essouaria, which looks good from a scenic point of view, and in terms of making decent progress.

On the other way, I was thinking of going inland via Marrakech, which could involve either the Tizi n Test, or a more major national route.

Question - is Agadir to Marrakech in a day via the Tizi a realistic proposition? I'm thinking it's probably 150/200 miles or so.

Also, I'll be riding by myself. I'm well used to that, but it would be interesting to have thoughts on the advisability of playing it safe and sticking to more major routes.

Any thoughts welcomed...

Max

Question - is Agadir to Marrakech in a day via the Tizi a realistic proposition? I'm thinking it's probably 150/200 miles or so.

Also, I'll be riding by myself. I'm well used to that, but it would be interesting to have thoughts on the advisability of playing it safe and sticking to more major routes.

Any thoughts welcomed...

Max

I've done Marrakech to Agadir (via the Tizi) in a day and didn't particuarly rush it. The pass was pretty broken up in places but mostly a decent enough surface, that was ten years ago now so I can only assume that like a lot of the roads in Maroc it's now improved :nenau

Riding it on your own isn't, IMO, an issue.

I'm sure somebody with more recent experience will be along shortly to update............

Andres

Hi Andres,

Many thanks for your brisk and informative response. So, it's a possibility then, for sure - any further input appreciated...

Thanks again,

Max

Piece of piss on a Honda 90; click the link below.

ps - As with all Moroccan bike trips, plan to ride in daylight.

Best ride of my life!

... also on a Honda C90 :D
March 2011
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M586RIilUeA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I did the Tiz nTest last October. Tarmac for 3/4 of the way up. Only the top bit is a bit broken up and ‘rubbly’. Not stressful riding so the mileage you quote very do-able.

Stopped in Rabat and Marrakech too - both really busy cities and you have to have yr wits about you riding through the cities. I wouldn’t rush back to either to be honest. On the other hand, Essouaria is lovely.... stayed one night there, but wished it was longer. A real seaside resort....but with a classy feel. Did quad biking there over the sand dunes on the beaches. Fantastic.

Hope that helps. Enjoy !

Fantastic work on the C90s, guys - hats off! But at least you were on the right tools for the job - in contrast to some bloated 250kg monster 😁.

Great advice re Tizi, NRG - many thanks for that. What kind of bike were you riding? Point taken re Marrakech and Rabat possibly being a bit hectic - I might see if I can find somewhere quieter along the road somewhere, if anyone knows of any good spots for kip/food/cold beer near either of those cities...

Max

Most of the Tizi n Test is now good tarmac and only broken at the very top. The route from Marrakech to Agadir is easy to do in a day. The trouble you will have is getting past a truck if you come up behind one on the pass. Forget the costal route down from Rabat, it's shite, not very scenic and they charge to use the motorway, but it will be a quick way to get to Agadir, plus July will be VERY VERY hot.

Sometimes the weather can be against you :)
IMG6388-XL-XL.jpg

I was expecting heat in July. Fog - not so much... 🤔

Easy ride from Agadir over Tizi........up early to beat the sun and watch out for the plod with radars......cracking ride over the top.
I too agree on the Coastal road.....waste of time although Essaouira is worth a bit of time to roam around.....

Fantastic work on the C90s, guys - hats off! But at least you were on the right tools for the job - in contrast to some bloated 250kg monster &#55357;&#56833;.

Great advice re Tizi, NRG - many thanks for that. What kind of bike were you riding? Point taken re Marrakech and Rabat possibly being a bit hectic - I might see if I can find somewhere quieter along the road somewhere, if anyone knows of any good spots for kip/food/cold beer near either of those cities...

Max

I was on my GSA. Like others have said the coastal ride to Agadir was nothing special. Foggy when I did it, and loads of roadworks. I much preferred the riding through the mountains and desert areas.
I went end of Sept / first 2 weeks of Oct, and on some days it was 41c.... average about 32c, so be careful to pick yr travel dates...it gets bloody hot and dusty there.

Enjoy....

There last year

As pervious posts the pass is 80percent good surface.

The mileage you suggest is doable no dramas.

I concur over the coastal route, its better in land scenery wise.

Enjoy your double dogging when you get there :)

Cheers guys.

Have booked it all up. Gonna go down there inland via the Tizi n Test, staying in a rather nice looking spot in Asni the night before so that I can get up the pass nice and easy first thing in the morning. Easier than Marrakech, I would think.

I'll do the coastal route on the way back, as I just need to get the miles done easily. Have booked a good looking place in Al-Jadida for an overnight stop.

Thanks for all your help - it's been really informative.

S92GS - I'll do my best to enjoy the double dogging. Me, and a mate, and 14 women. Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom