Accommodation in Cherbourg

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good evening.
Looking for accommodation recommendations - close to Cherbourg. Ideally a b&b where we can ride the bikes round the back or into a garage and leave all our camping gear strapped on. A stroll to a restaurant is also a must.
Many thanks

Cherbourg not popular then :nenau

It's a bit like Le Havre - an industrial port of minimal attraction - if you really need to be there for a very early ferry then just stay in this chain hotel which is the closest Cherbourg has to an Ibis https://goo.gl/maps/ydUZDCEqtGYzPZme9 - look down the side street and there is an entrance to a garage. Large retail park across the road with various eateries or short walk to the town centre where you will find a bunch of chain restaurants

If you are on a later ferry then stay a few km out of the city in Valogne, St Mere Eglise or one of the seaside towns.

Personally I wouldn't leave gear on a bike anywhere in the open in Cherboug unattended.

Now, how about St-Vaast-la-Hougue, on the east coast of the peninsular. There is an interesting harbour & some decent shops.

This is a nice little place to stay or just eat ............ https://www.hotel-fuchsias.com/

Then it's only a short ride to the Port, maybe north to Barfleur & the Pointe if you have the time & then west along the D901.

Stayed a Hotel du Louvre last year, car park under the hotel with doors shut at night. Near to lots of eateries and bars. I'd use it again.

I would always avoid staying in an industrial port area as it attracts too many miscreants. As Wappers has suggested try Valognes which is literally just a short ride down the N13 or try the Chateau Mont Epinguet run by Mark and Fiona, it's out in the sticks but they do half board so no need to go out in the evening. They have undercover storage for the bike as well. I have used this place on many occasions, it has great history as it was Gestapo HQ in WWII and afterwards the Yanks moved in following D-Day, there is also the remains of a V1/2 rocket launching site nearby.

Sorted - if it’s any good I’ll do a recommendation when I’m back.
Thanks for all the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom