Garmin GPS 276cx - Feezing screen frustration!!

Toddmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I recently acquired one of these at a reasonable price to supplement my trusty Garmin Montana.

Used it a few times for both road and off-road rides and so far the positives have been it's got a fabulous screen with lots of detail (good for my aging eyesight!), the buttons are easy to use once you get the hang of it, loads of features and reasonably easy to find your way around the menus, good directions for routes and easy to see tracks you're following, and the accuracy and speed of finding your location is excellent.

So overall very happy apart from one problem which is causing much angst - the bloody thing has a habit of completely freezing up every now and then and no amount of button pushing will get it to unfreeze. The only cure is to take it out of the cradle and remove the battery to reset it :mad:

I've tried using both official Garmin maps I have purchased (e.g. 1:50K O/S) and also maps which I've downloaded or been given (e.g. OpenStreetMap) and it happens with both so I don't think it's the map causing the issue. I have also got the latest software installed.

Just wondered if anyone else has one of these and has had similar issues which they have cured?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Richard, I had read this previously but discounted it initially as it seemed to relate to Tracks for Africa mapping only and also the unit freezes and then shuts down. In my case the display freezes and the unit doesn't shut down, and there is nothing you can do to get the display to unfreeze other than remover the battery.

Although their post was from over a year ago, I do wonder if the fault they are reporting might be related? As I have the latest version 4.80 software installed (which is supposed to have fixed issues like this), I was hoping it wasn't!

All very perplexing for luddite like me, hence my question on here in the hope that another user may have a solution.

Hello :thumb

I woulkd try calling Garmin (UK) I have always found them pretty helpful.

Richard

PS This site / forum is somethines quite helpful: https://www.gpscity.com/questions?sku=276cx or try: https://www.justanswer.co.uk/sip/Ga...MIi_jbtuaX5wIVg7TtCh2R6A0sEAMYASAAEgKm3_D_BwE

Thanks, both those sites look helpful so will give them a go. The first one in particular has loads of info about a whole host of useful stuff.

Regards calling Garmin, they have been helpful in the past but I've always struggled to get through to them within a reasonable amount of time and usually end up on hold for ages in a queue before speaking to someone.

I will, however, give them a try in a couple of days, unless there's a Tosser out there with experience of this who has found an answer and can enlighten me!

This isn't helpful unfortunately, but I've got this exact unit on my Africa Twin and I've experienced zero problems.

It sits in a montana powered cradle fed by the Eastern Beaver PC8 (fuzeblock).

I use the TalkyToaster Vector Maps mainly, but also have the Garmin 1:50k Topo maps and the Garmin Street City Navigator (or whatever its called).

No freezing, works great. (but I've only had it a few months now)

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/515124-Africa-Twin-Off-Road-Sat-Nav?highlight=276cx

This isn't helpful unfortunately, but I've got this exact unit on my Africa Twin and I've experienced zero problems.

It sits in a montana powered cradle fed by the Eastern Beaver PC8 (fuzeblock).

I use the TalkyToaster Vector Maps mainly, but also have the Garmin 1:50k Topo maps and the Garmin Street City Navigator (or whatever its called).

No freezing, works great. (but I've only had it a few months now)

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/515124-Africa-Twin-Off-Road-Sat-Nav?highlight=276cx

Actually that's very helpful information as it suggests that my problem is specific to my unit and therefore likely to be either a hardware or software issue. Probably the latter of these so will try re-installing the latest version of the software again as a first step.

I was reading through your original thread on the unit and noticed you have used the O/S Pro maps at 1:50K - just wondered if the you have tried the 1:25K so you get the same level of detail as an O/S Explorer maps with byways in green? I reckon the high definition, extra large display would give a superb level of detail with these though but they're very expensive to buy as a bundle.

Back
Top Bottom