Stand Security Lug Mod - Order progress, with Steve`s permission

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All, with Steve`s prior agreement he`s allowed me to post a few images of his order (he was the first!:bow) and how it progressed - if anyone was interested (apart from me and Steve :friday).

The images show;

Stand received, prepped for welding and lug welded on ready to go to powder coaters (finished example on LH side).

Steve`s on its return from the powder coaters, 2 images showing a close up of the lug and a distance shot showing the refurbished stand `et al`.

Stand fitted (to my GS) to make sure it works.

Stand packaged up and being posted, business post, today! I`ve covered his address.

49423922918_bb7ebe699f_w.jpg
[/url]steves order (1) by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

49423922828_d7777f19f8_w.jpg
[/url]steves order (3) by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

49424388736_c68ac34977_w.jpg
[/url]steves order (2) by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

49423922788_4f486cdefe_w.jpg
[/url]steves order (4) by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

49424388531_fea0ce33d7_w.jpg
[/url]steves order (5) by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

I guess I`d say this but it`s a really good modfication, I`m chuffed I`ve got it on my GS - just adds a little more security!

here`s one of it in operation!

49360538283_ea80ea48cb_w.jpg
[/url]fitted by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/m...ng-lug-modification--refurbishment-1105-p.asp

Mark
Top job. New security lug and stand powder coated. Back to new and shiny.What's not to like. Thanks for all the good work.
Regards

Steve :beerjug:

Last edited:
Mark
Top job. New security lug and stand powder coated. Back to new and shiny.What's not to like. Thanks for all the good work.
Regards

Steve :beerjug:

Very pleased you are happy, hope the springs go back on ok! The powder coating, I think, is a more durable that whatever the water based bloody paint is that BMW use but time will tell eh, it can’t be worse!

Ride safe and thank you for your support and custom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching with interest :D

If it’s anything like the stand on my 1200r it will take a couple of Gorillas to fit the stand springs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it’s anything like the stand on my 1200r it will take a couple of Gorillas to fit the stand springs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s ways! One way (possibly not the best with respect to everyone who knows better out there) is the way I did it.

If you search cymarcbikeparts on YouTube I’ve done a video which may help?

Don’t try it with your teeth........ :)

Watching with interest :D

Regarding the powder coat?

It does seem ‘more substantial’ than the paint and I’m only presuming it’ll be more durable (but I think it will - it’s thicker!).

Powder coating is good but you still need to protect the cross bar. Mine went through the original paint with in a few hundred miles so i had it powder coated and fitted a 'lizard skin' to the cross bar and all is good coming up to 8000 miles.

Regarding the powder coat?

It does seem ‘more substantial’ than the paint and I’m only presuming it’ll be more durable (but I think it will - it’s thicker!).

Just watching with interest, once you've done a few with no MK2 on the horizon, I'll get mine done :D

Just watching with interest, once you've done a few with no MK2 on the horizon, I'll get mine done :D

Ah I see.

Well, it’s about Mk7 at the moment as I don’t put the early prototypes on the forum (don’t wanna bore the cr@p out the lads too much :)

I’ll only go to offer it for sale once I’m sure it’s perfect, functional, tested and fit for purpose.

But if you wanna keep an eye on how Steve gets on with his that’s a very good idea!

Ride safe

Mark
Finally fitted the main stand today really pleased, nice and shiny and no corrosion.
Fitting took 10 minutes. After a bit of thought a spring puller hooked into one of the small holes at the bottom of the lug plate, then attached to a ratchet strap means one person job with minimum of swearing. Attached the other end of the strap to my ground anchor. Bob's your uncle job done. If you tie the centre stand up and route the strap under the stand by sheer chance it lines it up perfectly with the retaining lug.
I'm going to use a hardened steel container bolt with the stand. I would say that the shackle needs to be 12mm anything above that wont fit through the hole.
For the money paid simple solution for added security, especially as I live in London.
Cheers mark all the best.

Steve

Mark
Finally fitted the main stand today really pleased, nice and shiny and no corrosion.
Fitting took 10 minutes. After a bit of thought a spring puller hooked into one of the small holes at the bottom of the lug plate, then attached to a ratchet strap means one person job with minimum of swearing. Attached the other end of the strap to my ground anchor. Bob's your uncle job done. If you tie the centre stand up and route the strap under the stand by sheer chance it lines it up perfectly with the retaining lug.
I'm going to use a hardened steel container bolt with the stand. I would say that the shackle needs to be 12mm anything above that wont fit through the hole.
For the money paid simple solution for added security, especially as I live in London.
Cheers mark all the best.

Steve

Brill!

Lizard skins are cycle related... they put them on the frame to stop the chain chipping the paint.
Try searching cycle lizard skins.... or cycle chain protection.
They are foam wrapped in a cover that Velcro’s on.

Just posted my stand off to Mark after finally getting the springs off. Ratchet strap didn’t work but the washers method certainly did.

Back
Top Bottom