Garmin Zumo 595 Query

Taff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sorry, but it's thick question time. :eek:

I eventually upgraded from my old trusty 2610 to a Zumo 595. It's all updated fine with the latest maps (so far so good) but is there such a thing as Mapsource these days?

Although it's been years, with my 2610 I could prepare waypoints and routes on Mapsource and download them to the GPS. With the 595 the manual doesn't even mention Mapsource, so how do we prepare waypoints etc at home and download them to the GPS? :nenau Finding and plotting POIs at home was one of the best bits.

The manual does say we need to download the Garmin Smart Link app (which I've done) but that doesn't let us create routes etc.

Mapsource is, as far as I know, still available from the Garmin site for free, or it was *. Garmin don’t support it actively any more but that shouldn’t matter as long as it can still run the latest maps. The alternative is to progress to BaseCamp or try one of the third party software app’s, of which there are several. MyRoute seems popular. MotoGoLoco used to be very popular too but that has dropped right out of favour; make what you will of that.

Lots of bods moan about BaseCamp but, lots of bods moan about lots of things. See how you get on with it. It’s not a monster. I am a complete IT numpty but I can work it, so any other bod can too, surely? If you can work Mapsource, BaseCamp is not really that much different, other than being more powerful in what it can do. Bikers demanded more ‘things’, so Garmin gave it to them..... the rest is history.

There are several very good tutorial videos on how to use BaseCamp (see the stickies) and / or just ask on here if you get stuck. Play about, you can’t break it.

* If it isn’t, then just appeal on here to borrow a copy or Google up a hooky version.....

Mapsource is, as far as I know, still available from the Garmin site for free .... The alternative is to progress to BaseCamp or try one of the third party software app’s, of which there are several.
Thanks Wapping. :thumb2

I've now found Basecamp on the Garmin website, but it seems a massive size to download onto an already slow laptop. :eek

Do you know if there are any third party cloud based alternatives? I do like cloud based programmes as you can access them anywhere with access to the internet and they don't take up loads of computer memory.

to install mapsource first you must have installed or download and install basecamp, Mapsource is tiny at 57mb, basecamp is a tad bigger at 61 mb. The european maps should you wish to install are a lot bigger and are around 4Gb
Look at the required spec for the software it will tell you what your machine needs to be.

... The alternative is to progress to BaseCamp or try one of the third party software app’s, of which there are several. MyRoute seems popular.
Signed up with MyRoute; seems quite intuitive so far at any rate.

Quick general question though - how does the Garmin Zumo save its files eg a .gpx 1.1 File, a .tpf file?

There are about 10 different options to choose from. :nenau

Back
Top Bottom