Stalling

Delboy777

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right peeps, is stalling a second or two after startup a known problem ? My mighty hasn't been started for quite some time and today i thought id give it a wind up and see that all was well. Twice i started it and it abruptly stopped after a second or two running. I seem to remember this happening before it was garaged for the winter but just thought it was one of those things. Any one had the same ? I would have tought that once it was running it would just keep running. It started easily enough in fact, instantly i hit the start button it was away. Just cold ? Buggered if i know. :nenau

Do you start it without taking it for a spin , i know some do throughout the winter but i think this causes condensation , warming up and cooling down. I would suggest leaving it all winter and only starting it when you're ready to go for a good ride. I do this with all my work machines for 5 months of winter and they are fine.

I was going to say crap throttle control

I had similar, and only conclusion was bad fuel, couple of tanks of V power and its been fine.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I also think it’s a fuel prob, BMW were offing a winter check over before storage in which they advised using a fuel additive, can’t recall what it was. Before today I’ve just filled with fresh fuel and gone for a long ride to get the crap out the system and the new into it .

I was going to say crap throttle control

I had similar, and only conclusion was bad fuel, couple of tanks of V power and its been fine.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I was gunna say crap GS's but thought I better not ! :D

Do you start it without taking it for a spin , i know some do throughout the winter but i think this causes condensation , warming up and cooling down. I would suggest leaving it all winter and only starting it when you're ready to go for a good ride. I do this with all my work machines for 5 months of winter and they are fine.

I do the same, not good for an engine to start it and then turn it off without getting the engine and gearbox up to full working temperature. Some of my bikes are more sensitive to bad fuel when I do start them in the spring. KTM 950SMR, bugger to start and keep going, but once got fresh fuel no problem, DRZ the same but runs better than KTM on old fuel. Both of these have plastic tanks which I think allows the fuel to deteriorate quicker. VFR and GS both can be temperamental but again once going are no problem, but better once fresh fuel in tank. Both of these have metal tanks obviously. I now drain as much fuel as possible out of the KTM when I know I am not going to ride it again for a few months and put fresh fuel in in the spring.
I use several strong mixes of fuel system cleaner in each tank in spring and now use fuel stabiliser as well.

On my earlier bike (r1150rs), stalling after start up, was traced to corroded electrical fuel pump connector.

If I set off straight after starting, would stall when clutch pulled in. Warm up for two minutes & would run ok

Amazing how fixing the connection, solved other issues I had put down to different causes

Have had several RS’s got this one two years ago after 6 year break. Thought it was low on power, thought it was the rose tinteds as I also have a GS 12 LC, obviously more power.

Rough running at 4000 revs plus put down to cable stretch (perfect balance lower revs)

Fix the pump connector, & pump can now draw enough juice to deliver fuel, now have full power & smooth throughout rev range.

With hindsight, the problem is obvious, but at the time .....

Get yer coat on and get on a ferry and give it a good run. Just been to Portugal and back on mine and worked the tits off it. It’s what you bought it for ain’t it?

I do the same, not good for an engine to start it and then turn it off without getting the engine and gearbox up to full working temperature. Some of my bikes are more sensitive to bad fuel when I do start them in the spring. KTM 950SMR, bugger to start and keep going, but once got fresh fuel no problem, DRZ the same but runs better than KTM on old fuel. Both of these have plastic tanks which I think allows the fuel to deteriorate quicker. VFR and GS both can be temperamental but again once going are no problem, but better once fresh fuel in tank. Both of these have metal tanks obviously. I now drain as much fuel as possible out of the KTM when I know I am not going to ride it again for a few months and put fresh fuel in in the spring.
I use several strong mixes of fuel system cleaner in each tank in spring and now use fuel stabiliser as well.

Any anyone got a preferred system cleaner or fuel stabiliser?

Right peeps, is stalling a second or two after startup a known problem ? My mighty hasn't been started for quite some time and today i thought id give it a wind up and see that all was well. Twice i started it and it abruptly stopped after a second or two running. I seem to remember this happening before it was garaged for the winter but just thought it was one of those things. Any one had the same ? I would have tought that once it was running it would just keep running. It started easily enough in fact, instantly i hit the start button it was away. Just cold ? Buggered if i know. :nenau

It's a write-off. How much do you want for the bling?

Ha ha some of you guys should have been comedians :rolleyes: Bike was taken for a run up to temerature to "evaporate" any condensation. I've got 45 years experience driving and riding and i'd like to think i know and understand these things. So dont try to teach your granny how to suck eggs :comfort Back to my original question has anyone else had this ? Tank is also nearly empty so maybe the fuel thats left, 22 miles range according to meter is fecked with sitting. Will fill with fresh and see whats what. Its just that i remember, or at least think i do, about someone having this problem and thought it had needed a software issue. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me or old age is creeping in faster than i thought. :blast:rolleyes:

Had exactly the same earlier in the week .

The only think i could put it down to was, Temperature -3 and the condition of the battery ( 2yrs ish old)

new battery purchased

Just got to fit it now lol

Had exactly the same earlier in the week .

The only think i could put it down to was, Temperature -3 and the condition of the battery ( 2yrs ish old)

new battery purchased

Just got to fit it now lol

Wasn't that cold, probably around +7 deg. Bike has been hooked up to Ctek charger and battery was fine, pleanty ommff to start it. Started first touch, then twice it stalled rather abruptly, likesomeone had jammed something into a bore to stop it is how id describe it. Did it again then ran fine. Maybe it just needed a twist of the throttle before i started it, which i dont ever do. :nenau oh and to the wag that asked if the bling was for sale, NO ! go see Warlord hes got moutains of the stuff, albeit on an AT. :p:D

Back
Top Bottom