Replacing Alternator on a 1200 TC

rossman999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It looks like my alternator has seized:(

How the F do you replace it, does anyone have a page from a manual they can share?
I think BMW started with an alternator and built a bike around it:confused:

To further add insult to injury they want £680 just for an alternator - ouch!! time for ebay or has anyone got any other suggestions?

Mine needed replacing early last year. Tank off, alternator drive belt cover off, belt off and you see 4 screws that hold a sort of shroud/cover onto the alternator. On mine these were seized despite days of soaking in plusgas. I snapped two and rounded the other two as you can’t quite get a torx bit onto them straight. Then there’s three (four??? I never got this far) bolts holding the alternator to the top of the engine. I gave up and took it to RGM motorcycles for him remove it all. I got a like new secondhand alternator from Sherlock’s for £200. It’s been good since.

Edit make sure you get the right alternator for your model and year. They differ.

Last edited:
Tank off, alternator belt off, remove the ECU holder and the plastic shroud around the front of the alternator.

Three E bolts hold the alternator to the top of the engine case. All easily accessible. Remove them and extract the alternator out through the gap (not forgetting to remove the electrical connections :D).

If it's any comfort i've a pile of seized 1200 alternators removed from customers bikes :D

Common problem. It happened to me also. Usually after bike has sat doing nothing for a while. Luckily mine was under warranty so was picked up taken away and fixed. Then returned to my home address.

Back
Top Bottom