Strange tyre problem

Quick Google returns this. Chap seems sensible if a bit smarmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvN913Zv6SM

The error you are making is assuming that your knowledge is equivalent to all the knowledge out there. It isn't. Spend some more time Googling if you want an informed opinion

The error you are making is assuming that your knowledge is equivalent to all the knowledge out there. It isn't.

that's your assumption. I didn't make any.

can't find any on bikes

Highlighting the difference in 225/45 R17 tyres,
the best tyre (Nokian Z G2) stopped in just 44 meters in the wet from 100kph, (35.2 in the dry)
while the worst tyre of 50 on test, the Rockstone F105, required nearly 28 metres further to stop at 71.7 metres! (41.7 dry)

others you may have heard of
14th: Michelin Primacy 3. 46.3 wet, 37.5 dry - so 2.3m further down the road in the wet or the dry than the best
26th: Yokohama ADVAN Sport 49.4 wet 38.8 dry (5.3m deeper in to the back of the crash in the wet)

Deflate tyre and push the bead into the wheel well. Rotate tyre a bit and then reinflate making sure tyre pops evenly around wheel. I’m thinking that tyre hasn’t seated correctly all around just off by a hair and centrifugal force at higher speed is causing it to lift slightly. Just a guess but something I’d try. JJH

Deflate tyre and push the bead into the wheel well. Rotate tyre a bit and then reinflate making sure tyre pops evenly around wheel. I’m thinking that tyre hasn’t seated correctly all around just off by a hair and centrifugal force at higher speed is causing it to lift slightly. Just a guess but something I’d try. JJH

Thanks.
The tyre has been removed, a new valve fitted and reseated - I’ll Take out in the morning, fingers crossed.

been riding bikes for 44 years never heard of then, never seen them in any publication (been reading TMNS, Dirt Bike, MCW, MCN and bike mags nearly 50 years) or on here (although now, I sure there will be post about them), I was even surprised google found any reviews. But it did and LOTS of them, all were complaints about ride, noise and stability issues. And another one about going down.

The point of my post was to iterate safety issues with nasty tyres.
Chill.
There are no safety issues with K60 Scouts - I’ve ridden somewhere in the region of 100K miles on them with zero safety concerns or issues. As I said they are not for everyone but if you do 12K miles a year or more and like a bit of big bike friendly trails whilst your on holiday - such as The Stella, Morocco or the mountains of Bulgaria then they are one of the best tyres out there.
They are recommended for trips such as the Dalton Highway because they will cope very well with the road conditions (or lack of them) but will last well over 10K miles in such conditions and pavement.
Obviously, despite all the media coverage and people buying adventure bikes, this type of riding is a very small percentage of the market so if people are riding only on a Sunday, on the road, then they are not the tyres for them - and I say that with due respect.

Well I took it out on a private road this morning and took it up to an indicated 90 MPH with no loss of air.
It was only a stretch of about a quarter mile but hopefully all will be well - I rarely ride fast these days.
So looks like a valve seal issue - many thanks for all the opinions and suggestions.
Ride safe - especially if you’re on “nasty tyres” ;):D

Well I took it out on a private road this morning and took it up to an indicated 90 MPH with no loss of air.
It was only a stretch of about a quarter mile but hopefully all will be well - I rarely ride fast these days.
So looks like a valve seal issue - many thanks for all the opinions and suggestions.
Ride safe - especially if you’re on “nasty tyres” ;):D
Hi D
Do you find that the twin cam squares the rear off quite quickly ?

been riding bikes for 44 years never heard of then, never seen them in any publication (been reading TMNS, Dirt Bike, MCW, MCN and bike mags nearly 50 years) or on here (although now, I sure there will be post about them), I was even surprised google found any reviews. But it did and LOTS of them, all were complaints about ride, noise and stability issues. And another one about going down.

The point of my post was to iterate safety issues with nasty tyres.

Your location is very apt. Heidenau have been making tyres for longer than you have been riding. Extract from the history of the company, putting it in a nutshell:

Founded in 1946, the company started with the production of moulded rubber products. In 1952, Heidenau switched gears and began producing car and industrial tires. In 1959 Heidenau concentrated on the production of all two-wheeler tires under the brand Pneumant, which ended in 1993. The same year Reifenwerk Heidenau GmbH & Co. KG was founded with a focus on the production of two-wheeler, kart and special-purpose tires which has continued through to today.

Our success is based in the continuous improvement of our production process and products. With our customer’s satisfaction as a primary concern, we keep an eye on the latest motorbike developments for new applications, while keeping in mind the needs of our vintage motorbike enthusiasts.

Starting in 1993 with 35 tire sizes, we now offer a range of 550 tire designs for most applications. Our flexible production processes allows us to meet very specific needs, work out individual solutions, and manufacture the highest quality German made products.

Hi D
Do you find that the twin cam squares the rear off quite quickly ?
Hi S.
Interesting. On the 1100 they didn’t square off at all but they do a bit on the TC. However due to the central strip it doesn’t seem to create fall in into corners - I always found Tourance terrible for this and would run them on high pressure to compensate. I’m still getting great mileage out of them.
If I was going on an extended trip on rough roads I would try Motoz tyres - Australian - excellent reviews all round but just that bit more expensive.

Hi S.
Interesting. On the 1100 they didn’t square off at all but they do a bit on the TC. However due to the central strip it doesn’t seem to create fall in into corners - I always found Tourance terrible for this and would run them on high pressure to compensate. I’m still getting great mileage out of them.
If I was going on an extended trip on rough roads I would try Motoz tyres - Australian - excellent reviews all round but just that bit more expensive.

I'm coming to the end of a Run with Mitas (of one type or another) and I'm now finding the Rear has developed a very odd Wear Pattern with different parts of the Tread sticking up in all directions. This is on a later Model SC GSA. The Summer Wet and Dry Grip was great but they take a while to warm up in the Cold Weather. Storm 3D XM next....

FWIW I had the same issues with my tyres and it took replacing the inner valve stem and replacing the rubber base seal and no more issues. It would seem that over time the vibrations loosen both the inner valve and cause the rubber to grate and wear. A quick trip to halfords for stems and having spare seals fixed it for about €2.

Back
Top Bottom