Strange tyre problem

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or can shed some light.
I’ve been using Heidenau K60 Scouts for around 6/7 years now (highish mileage), first on my 1100gs and now on my TC, without any problems.
Just had a new set fitted - rear okay, front okay if I’m riding up-to 60 MPH but goes down fairly quickly over 60. I then slow down and pressure stays the same - doesn’t go down at all when parked up.
I took the wheel back and a new valve core was fitted. Okay now up-to 70 MPH then goes down as before but okay if pottering around at 50/60.
Took to wheel back and the valve has been reseated.
The guy who did it has done lots of tyres for me (and friends).
Hopefully it will be okay now but your thoughts are appreciated.

It might be centrifugal force that is tending to open the valve slightly at higher speeds leading to a loss of pressure. (Maybe a different brand of valve has been used??)

You could try some new good quality sealed dust caps which might help as the valve would have to overcome a slight vacuum in order to unseat itself.

if you look online these are not well loved. I'd never heard of them. So finding you have an issue doesn't seem much of a surprise

tyres are the easiest thing to buy that'll probably save your life and good ones make the bike fun to use. buy anything outside the major brands it will give inferior performance & for what gain? death or at best 30 quid in your pocket

you already used more than the difference fighting issues

its easier to see on car tyres as they often quote figures that'll let you bring the point home. but the performance difference for a bike is probably far greater
if one set of car tyres stops 5 metres shorter than another at 60 mph... in a major motorway braking manoeuvre (most likely caused by someone on a motorway you'll never see) it could easily be the difference between stopping or no longer having any legs for the rest of your life - the difference in price - as little as 50 quid

if you look online these are not well loved. I'd never heard of them. So finding you have an issue doesn't seem much of a surprise

tyres are the easiest thing to buy that'll probably save your life and good ones make the bike fun to use. buy anything outside the major brands it will give inferior performance & for what gain? death or at best 30 quid in your pocket

its easier to see on car tyres as they often quote figures that'll let you bring the point home. but the performance difference for a bike is probably far greater
if one set of car tyres stops 5 metres shorter than another at 60 mph... in a major motorway braking manoeuvre (most likely caused by someone on a motorway you'll never see) it could easily be the difference between stopping or no longer having any legs for the rest of your life - the difference in price - as little as 50 quid

Sorry to be contrarian but that is utter bollocks

I've don about 60k on K60 Scouts and I use them in Morocco, all over Europe etc etc

They are great tyres, certainly not as you describe.

As for not popular, I could probably fine a thread somewhere that says Michael Barrymore is very butch.

each to their own...………….

No the tyre was definitely losing pressure - I had to blow it up a couple of times and garage pump confirmed but thanks for input.

Maybe a small nick that only opens with pressure on it from gassing it ?????

No idea otherwise.

I love these tyres...…….

Heidenau are a quality German tire, made in Germany and no cheaper than Continental. They had some issues a few years ago when a batch of tubed tyres came out stamped as tubeless - this was soon rectified. They are hard and many people don’t like them due to this and the fact that they are noisy. I do about 20K miles a year and find them better than Metzler Tourance on all counts.
I’m happy to change make but I don’t think it’s a tyre issue.
Thanks for your input ��

Maybe a small nick that only opens with pressure on it from gassing it ?????

No idea otherwise.

I love these tyres...…….

Tyres been checked for holes but it’s a possibility
Thanks

It might be centrifugal force that is tending to open the valve slightly at higher speeds leading to a loss of pressure. (Maybe a different brand of valve has been used??)

You could try some new good quality sealed dust caps which might help as the valve would have to overcome a slight vacuum in order to unseat itself.
Thanks, the valve is my thought - I’ll try a good dust cap ��

I've got a part worn one if you need it

Oh and to reiterate I plugged a K60 Scout and toured Europe putting 3500 miles on it before I decided to change it.

Nothing else has gone on my various GS for years...…………..

Sorry to be contrarian but that is utter bollocks

I've don about 60k on K60 Scouts and I use them in Morocco, all over Europe etc etc

They are great tyres, certainly not as you describe.

As for not popular, I could probably fine a thread somewhere that says Michael Barrymore is very butch.

each to their own...………….

Nothing wrong with Heidenaus as several seasoned campaigners (the politest way I could frame it!) will attest.

I had an issue years ago with a front tyre deflating. Took a while to sort it out. It ended up being a leak where the tyre was seated on the rim. It seemed to do it more at speed. My dealer took the tyre back off and reseated it with some kind of sealant that he said he used on more corroded car wheels. It never went down again and never happened again on any more tyres.

Scouts are standard-issue for many adventure riders. Everyone in that world knows them

Many of the tour firms that use BMWs use the Scouts. eg https://www.motorrad-tours.com/about-us/meet-the-team/ (never done a trip with them, but have come across some of those involved)

Fwiw rims to get a build-up around the area that tyres seat and this can cause a poor seal. Good shops will clean off any rubber residue with a light abrasive. Have had this issue on various vehicles over time, but never has it manifested at higher speeds - normally if seal is bad it will deflate almost imperceptibly over time

If centripetal force is suspected, you could do worse than to fit an angled valve-less susceptible to opening as speed increases
Angled valve - I’ll have to look that one up. Thanks

The tyre fitter - and I agree - thinks that if it was a tyre seating issue, the tyre would go down overnight, especially as it’s parked up on it’s side stand.

I'd never heard of them. So finding you have an issue doesn't seem much of a surprise

You’ve not heard of them and yet have an opinion :D. I’m surprised you’ve not heard of them as they’ve been used for 10/15 years, (blimey I remember riding around Morocco with FANUM who had them fitted and that was 13 years ago) by ukgsers and have a very good reputation on the site. As witnessed by a couple of previous posts in this thread

If centripetal force is suspected, you could do worse than to fit an angled valve-less susceptible to opening as speed increases

the k1300 owners manual states at high speed it can cause air to come out.... but its >130 not 60. Later S ones put the valve where its should be so the valve can't move at speed - with the added bonus you can easily do the tyre pressure.... why aren't all alloys like this ?

You’ve not heard of them and yet have an opinion :D. I’m surprised you’ve not heard of them as they’ve been used for 10/15 years, (blimey I remember riding around Morocco with FANUM who had them fitted and that was 13 years ago) by ukgsers and have a very good reputation on the site. As witnessed by a couple of previous posts in this thread

been riding bikes for 44 years never heard of then, never seen them in any publication (been reading TMNS, Dirt Bike, MCW, MCN and bike mags nearly 50 years) or on here (although now, I sure there will be post about them), I was even surprised google found any reviews. But it did and LOTS of them, all were complaints about ride, noise and stability issues. And another one about going down.

The point of my post was to iterate safety issues with nasty tyres.

Back
Top Bottom