NOOB looking for some adventure advice

antonyslater

Reaction score
I have had my GS1200 for about a year now and am yearning to take it on a "proper" adventure rather than the usual Sunday ride out for a few hours... this for me starts with a night or 2 wild camping in Scotland (south)....

Does anyone have any recommended locations that I might be able to consider where I can get to with the bike? I'm not really looking for a campsite as I'm hoping to find some solitude! Some nice sweeping twists and turns to get there would be nice too?

Hopefully someone can help me start my adventures with a relatively "easy" starter night or 2.

Thanks in advance.

Wild camping is OK in Scotland so long as you're sensible.
A couple of recommendations where wild camping seems to be fairly regular...
1. Just South of Braemar, about 5km south on the A92, a bridge crosses the Clunie Water, and there's some nice flat ground, and running water
2. Glen Etive. Just N of the Ski Resort, there's the Kings House Hotel. Wild camping close to the Hotel, or just down the Glen Etive road.
Both used quite regularly, and you should not get any hassle if you camp responsibly...
Edit - also the A87 a few miles West of the Cluanie Inn...
There are also some lovely "remote" campsites like the one at Glenbrittle, Ilse of skye:
CGYE0313-1100x825.jpg

Or Achmelvich:

R0392-0350-AV.jpg

1. Just South of Braemar, about 5km south on the A92, a bridge crosses the Clunie Water, and there's some nice flat ground, and running water
2. Glen Etive. Just N of the Ski Resort, there's the Kings House Hotel. Wild camping close to the Hotel, or just down the Glen Etive road.
Both used quite regularly, and you should not get any hassle if you camp responsibly...
There are also some lovely "remote" campsites like the one at Glenbrittle, Ilse of skye:
CGYE0313-1100x825.jpg

Or Achmelvich:

R0392-0350-AV.jpg
Yer on the button there with south Scotland eh

Avoid places like Loch Lomond, Loch Lubnaig, Loch Earn - all the small clearings by the lochs are covered in shit, bog paper, and blackened fire remains from all the Weegies at the weekends.

You’d do worse than south-west from Moffat, in Dumfries and Galloway area?

CGYE0313-1100x825.jpg

Or Achmelvich:

R0392-0350-AV.jpg

Looks like Piccadilly Circus - that is hardly 'quiet', not my idea of quiet anyway. Too many people.

Would you prefer inland or coastal?

Inland - you can do worse than go through Galloway Country Park and just find a suitable spot as you explore - fabulous roads, if you are an A-road hooner, you might find the tight, hilly and curvy narrow B roads 'testing', but they aren't difficult. Loch Grannock and around that area is very remote. If you see three other vehicles in the day it is busy!

If you prefer coastal, go down the Mull of Galloway. You'll find a spot beside the road, or just off. Go and have a look at the lighthouse on the Point of Mull and patronise the Gallie Craig Coffee House right on the point - plenty of tent pitching grass on the way down that single track or when you get there - pitch when everyone has gone, and pack up before they arrive the next morning - otherwise just south of Drummore thare are places to pitch on flat grass, yards from the sea. Then come back up the west coast to Port Logan. You needn't worry on this route - you will find plenty of places to pitch for the night. A bit more difficult if you are a hammocker, in which case you need to stay inland.

Head for any of the national parks. In Scotland they positively encourage sensible wild camping.
Be aware that the ‘right to roam’ does not apply to motor vehicles so if you stray off the highway you might get in bother.
As has been said earlier avoid the loch-side around Loch Lomond. They’ve had so much bother there with wankers leaving all their rubbish around that they’ve had to bring in by-laws to prevent wild camping.
Don’t forget to take a trowel......

Back
Top Bottom