NAS for music storage/streaming recommendation

solidstate100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

Ok, so have decided to go down the NAS route and consolidate my music collection (approx 500 cd's and some itunes content) onto a NAS device.

I have a small about of computer knowledge (just enough to be dangerous but not enough to really know what I am talking about:D) and am looking for hands on actual experience recommendations on hardware and, presumably software, to run this.

I dont particularly want to get involved in deep discussions about disc arrangements/raid etc etc just looking for something to purchase, discs pre-installed off say Amazon probably 2x3 tb or so.

Must be cost effective, or put another way, cheap(ish)

Running a BT homehub5 so plenty of LAN ports spare.....

Oh, and no subscriptions to any software providers etc (if I even need it, that is!) - must be free!

And thats about all I know!

Any pointers please guys? - no doubt I have missed out tons of essential information....

Cheers

Marc

Synology
Various models but as far as quality etc they cant be beaten IMO

We use one in the office ( not for music) and its a huge capacity model but the one we have had now for over 4 years has been faultless with good on line updates and easy upload to our cloud thing etc etc

Someone will be along shortly with a different best option but Synology is still my recommendation

I have a Qnap TS-210 surplus to requirements, yours for a few quid, which will do the job admirably. You'll need a couple of suitably-sized HDDs and good to go. :thumb

Thank you to the 2 gentlemen above.

Anyone else, please?

I run a QNAP, and it's great.

TS-459 Pro II

I use it as a full media streaming station using Kodi as a client.

2 sets of mirrored disks provides resilience.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Anyone else, please?

I've been using Qnap for a decade.
Does the job. Server software is included. For music streaming you can potentially buy an old one.

I have a T209 at home that I use to backup my computers and as a video server (TwonkyMedia) and works just fine despite the age.

Another vote for Synology

Synology for the NAS

You can also download apps from the synology hub , such as media & video streamers

I believe you can also use spotty with your own media library aswell

Back
Top Bottom