Cortina d'Ampezzo - Whats worth seeing there

An Englishman can spell foreign, much as he pleases.

I did know the collective noun for the good folk of Milan but could not be arsed (something I have learned from this site) to look it up.

So what yer saying is ....... you didn't know it ..?? :D

So what yer saying is ....... you didn't know it ..?? :D

I forgot my i and e in me Italian. It’s an old problem....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IIAdHEwiAy8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If only to illustrate the suggestion that there is more to the Dolomites to the west of Cortina, here is the famous 17 passes in one day jaunt:

a9dd2f77f570add6cf8d0ea4954a51b3.png

:beerjug:

Can someone point me to where I might find this famous route written down or GPX format as it looks a good one to do
TIA

Thank you.
That’s a couple of days in June sorted on way to Turkey
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of days? Its listed as a days riding challenge in the mighty " self professed " King of the Alps " book

A couple of days? Its listed as a days riding challenge in the mighty " self professed " King of the Alps " book

A friend of mine managed 20 passes in a day a few years back, and still got back to the Hotel before me, returning a bit earlier than he planned due to storms, IIRC he was aiming for 22/3 passes.

...Not uncommon on hot days in the mid-late afternoon, so worth going out early when its hot and being back to watch the storms from the comfort of the bar with a beer in hand ;-)

Might be doing a solo trip this year and look forward to being able to just ride off when I wake up in the morning, last year we went in the French Heatwave, it was often over 30c by 11:00am, we were setting off before 7:00am most days and cracking on in the morning, not just the 2 hours extra in cooler weather but the 2 hours less in 40c heat that really makes a difference.

Giau pass on the doorstep. Great road and views. Gets busy later in the day.
Timmelsjoch pass good in and out of Austria..
Jaufenpass is excellent
Merano to the west is busy(ish), but a very nice town for culture, food, drink.
SS641 fab road with great views down side of lake

Stayed in Vipiteno a few years back. A good base for multi direction days out..

Grossglockner in easy reach to make a great ride out and a circular route.

Giau is one of my favourites ... Stunning .. :thumb2

Timmelsjoch pass good in and out of Austria..

Grossglockner in easy reach to make a great ride out and a circular route.

TJ itself is very nice, but the run along the Oetz valley at the North end is very boring, best used as a way in / out of the Alps as hard to work into a days looping Rideout from anywhere without having a load of crap roads in the mix.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Grossglockner, any pass that has a multi-storey car park at the top is not my thing, it makes the Stelvio look like a deserted secret - and you have to pay for the privilege of getting held up by tour buses and camper vans, but like the Stelvio I think people need to go and make up their own mind. Probably awesome if you live nearby and can catch a good day very early / late in the season.

Giau is one of my favourites ... Stunning .. :thumb2

I think they now have restrictions on it during the summer, last in the area in 2017 and a couple of the Dolomite passes were either closed to traffic some days or only allowed it at certain times and the plan is to extend this to more passes and for longer periods.

For anyone who has the Dolomites on their "to do" list I would recommend bumping it up the order of priority whilst most of it is still accessible to us ;-)

Can someone point me to where I might find this famous route written down or GPX format as it looks a good one to do
TIA

I've done this complete route, comfortably, in a day. I do start at 07:00 though before it all gets too busy.

Back
Top Bottom