Cortina d'Ampezzo - Whats worth seeing there

I do start at 07:00 though before it all gets too busy.......

….at 8:00am ;-)

The figure 8 passes around Arraba can get busy quite early on, we try and get over them 1st thing and then all is good as once away from the few top tourist hot-spots the roads tend to be fairly quiet, not Pyrenees quiet, but certainly a lot better than Wales, Lake District, Cotswolds etc

Had an overnight in Vipiteno and ended up in Cavalese (the SS620 to Cavlese, even if I only rode it for a short distance, is peg scraping good :thumb). This gave us the opportunity to ride a big loop through the Dolomite Park and Passo Giau. It is worth it just for the views. The reason for traveling through and not staying a few days was the San Marino GP. Ride amgazine did a article about the Dolomite region and recommended Bolzano Bozen or Cortina d'Ampezzo. Bolzano will allow you to explore to the west if the weather looks doubtful in the east and Cortina puts you in the heart of the Dolomite region and an easy ride to Austria. If going to Austria there is a pass with an Italian war memorial from WW1. Don't ask me where. It was a route I planned in my head and never ridden.

PS. If you do decide to explore to the west then take a chance to visit the Riva yacht factory. It is on lake Iseo and they do make the most beautiful boats. They did use Lamborghini engines in the old ones.

Back
Top Bottom