Cortina d'Ampezzo - Whats worth seeing there

N111BJG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After many Euro trips & looking for new destinations we’ve got to the virtual dart at map stage of choosing where to go.
Dart landed at Cortina d'Ampezzo, fortunately it looks nice.
I’d appreciate any input on what we shouldn’t miss in the locale.
My route planning buddy decided we’d come back via the Romantic Route (if that’s what it’s called)
TIA

Its a great place for a night or two.
Bit swish but some lovely bars and restaurants.
Surrounded by great roads obviously.

Its a great place for a night or two.
Bit swish but some lovely bars and restaurants.
Surrounded by great roads obviously.

In that case we’ll fit right in, we tend to do swish with verve.
Might even break out a clean sleeveless tee shirt for dining out.

Grossglocker is an easy day trip.

For a great view of Cortina, head up to Pocol.

To see the traffic heading into town, getting accommodation on the out to the Passo di Falzarego gives a grandstand view of the bikes / old cars etc.

Get a copy of Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps by John Hermann, if you haven't already got a copy.

Cortina is OK, if a bit pricey.

If it has fault, it is at the eastern end of the Dolomites, meaning you have to ride out and westwards to pick up the bulk of the mountain group.

Go up the mountains to Lake Misurina it’s stunning.

+1 I cycled that last year and it was really pretty.

I didn't find Cortina expensive - stayed in a decent hotel in the centre, ate locally... but that was out of season (ie no snow on the hills).

In fact, as a town that's clearly geared up for a lot of visitors in the winter, in other seasons it's really pleasant because it feels quiet. I was there in about the first week of June.

In fact, as a town that's clearly geared up for a lot of visitors in the winter

It's one of the most popular (and posh) ski location for Italians (mostly romans...).

Watch for the older dames of the town parading in their fur coats each evening!

Even in summer, it can be a bit nippy.

Sort yer Italian grammar out Wapping FFS ...... :D

Cortina is OK, if a bit pricey.

If it has fault, it is at the eastern end of the Dolomites, meaning you have to ride out and westwards to pick up the bulk of the mountain group.

One does not get this opportunity very often, but have you looked at a map? There's a really nice area to the east, worthy of a loop. This place looks delightful https://goo.gl/maps/fn7k8hCY3d8XU3ECA and is in an area known as Prealpi Carniche https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnic_Prealps

800px-Cima_dei_Preti.jpg

It’s not devoid of jaunts to the eastern end, any more than France is infested with speed cameras. But hey, he’ll discover that and more as and when.... :D

If only to illustrate the suggestion that there is more to the Dolomites to the west of Cortina, here is the famous 17 passes in one day jaunt:

a9dd2f77f570add6cf8d0ea4954a51b3.png

:beerjug:

Sort yer Italian grammar out Wapping FFS ...... :D

An Englishman can spell foreign, much as he pleases.

I did know the collective noun for the good folk of Milan but could not be arsed (something I have learned from this site) to look it up.

Back
Top Bottom