Side stand lean angle

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys,

Can you take a look at my GS on its side stand. It’s leaning over a bit too much I think..the rear shock is an ohlins with the front still a factory shock.

Can anyone tell me if this is typical for the GS...my other bikes don’t lean over so much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bacaeb7afc955cbe70a2f7c4435f3b76.jpg

Mine is the same. i have Wilbers shocks and when I had them fitted I immediately noticed an increase in height. I checked the specs and the new shocks appear to be the right height.:nenau

many long travel bikes are now leaning over a lot... its becoming ever more common.

two good reasons and one stupid idea

1) if you have tall tyres, and the pre load wound up or your aftermarket shock has a stiffer spring (or is a longer shock), you may find it leans more than another that doesn't
2) its helps the bike lean over enough if its loaded with luggage

active suspension where with the key out damping maybe be so soft the wind could wobble the bike about is a reason the half wits have mostly stopped the steering lock working in both directions. Absolute madness as depending on how you have to park the bike, being able to lock in either direction is essential. All LC adventures and my retarded KTM can only lock on the left (when 99% of the places I park I want it locking on the right !!! )

Your bike appears to be already on a slope,and the steering is well over to the right which will exagerate the angle making it much worse.

Yes there was a slight downhill chamber making the lean worse....still though compared to my other bikes it leans over more.

I remember a discussion relevant to my now sold 1150gs where a bolt would wear, increasing the lean on the side stand, this was what mostly prompted me to ask...

Nothing out of the ordinary it seems

Hey guys, in the meantime these a shot
fb7ad6d8c2b6aaa7df65f747f301c36e.jpg
of the countryside in my native Gozo...thought it would be nice to share

Your bike appears to be already on a slope,and the steering is well over to the right which will exagerate the angle making it much worse.

yes the picture makes it look like its leaning more than it is. I was wondering if the point of the post was so we can admire the view.

But the lock to the right comment you make is back to front. It makes bikes stand up not lean left.... and the adaptive damping off, idea I mention above is why many bikes no longer lock to the right

GS LCA don't, but I've seen some GS LCs that will lock either way... so I guess BM think a loaded up one locked to the right might topple to the right... But that's so stupid. Ever since a side stand was invented, its down to the person parking to use the lock to ensure the bike is in the most stable position going - if the only parking place is on an angle sometimes you need it on the right to stop it falling left. Idiots !!!

The view is nice I will admit, and actually I took the photo to share with one of my biking buddies who is now living in the UK...but I did not like the lean so I thought I would ask :)...

R.

yes the picture makes it look like its leaning more than it is. I was wondering if the point of the post was so we can admire the view.

But the lock to the right comment you make is back to front. It makes bikes stand up not lean left.... and the adaptive damping off, idea I mention above is why many bikes no longer lock to the right

GS LCA don't, but I've seen some GS LCs that will lock either way... so I guess BM think a loaded up one locked to the right might topple to the right... But that's so stupid. Ever since a side stand was invented, its down to the person parking to use the lock to ensure the bike is in the most stable position going - if the only parking place is on an angle sometimes you need it on the right to stop it falling left. Idiots !!!

Well my experience is, if bike on sidestand and i turn bars all the way to the right the bike leans further over. Turn to left and it sits up. Cant help if you think differently, thats what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the ice hockey puck, I felt mine leant over too far. You will also need a side stand foot enlarger if you want to fit a puck. Not clear from pics if you already have one. Think I’m with Delboy on the bars position.

Al.

As said above. Just add a sidestand foot enlarger of some sort. It will lift it up a little. After I fitted mine on my adventure it made it a little easier to lift it off the sidestand when fullyoaded. I have Wilbur's front and rear which are a little taller I think, either that or they are just firmer so sit higher.

+1 for the ice hockey puck, I felt mine leant over too far. You will also need a side stand foot enlarger if you want to fit a puck. Not clear from pics if you already have one. Think I’m with Delboy on the bars position.

Al.

no you won't need an enlarger for the puck, a couple of small bolts will hold it on no bother. speaking from experience.

As said above. Just add a sidestand foot enlarger of some sort. It will lift it up a little. After I fitted mine on my adventure it made it a little easier to lift it off the sidestand when fullyoaded. I have Wilbur's front and rear which are a little taller I think, either that or they are just firmer so sit higher.

Was there not someone on here who sold the puck enlarger ?

I bought mine off of someone on here, he only made a few before disappearing. Could have been Jaycee or something like that.

I can’t remember who it was but i bought one for my Hex GSA otherwise I wouldn’t have managed to pick the bugger up, what with my short legs

I’ve got an ice hockey puck sitting in my garage waiting to go on my 1150 and because it’s already got a bigger foot on there the plan is to rough it up with a grinder then use 2 pack epoxy adhesive to glue it in place.

Pucks are less than £5 on Amazon and from memory are about 75mm diameter by 25mm high so do the job perfectly.

Well my experience is, if bike on sidestand and i turn bars all the way to the right the bike leans further over. Turn to left and it sits up. Cant help if you think differently, thats what happens.

Al.

Mine leans over further with the bars turned to the right too.

if you are correct can you explain why short people can get a bike off the side stand with the lock to the right .. but not if its on a left lock ?
and can you explain why the steering can' t lock to the right on the Adventure model ?

FYI you can get a Dremel out and remove part of the lug stopping you doing this, so the Adventure LC models will lock either way

if you are correct can you explain why short people can get a bike off the side stand with the lock to the right .. but not if its on a left lock ?
and can you explain why the steering can' t lock to the right on the Adventure model ?

FYI you can get a Dremel out and remove part of the lug stopping you doing this, so the Adventure LC models will lock either way

No idea as I'm 6'4" tall.
My 2006 adventure locks both ways of are you just talking about the WC models in the hexhead forum. Helpful......

Back
Top Bottom