Advice Please....Oil where it probably shouldn't be!

jgk1459

Reaction score
Looking for some tech advice from you lot 'who know stuff'....

R9T, 2016, 6000 miles, FSH.

K&N air filter fitted by the previous owner.

I decided that I would take the tank off to clean and ACF50 - generally fettle with things. Whilst there I thought I'd check the air filter as although I was told it had a K&N fitted I'd never checked and wanted to see if it needed cleaning.

Yes its fitted and yes it might benefit from a clean. No issue there.

But - inside the airbox is lined with oil, messy stuff all over the place. Photo below.

Is this normal?

Bit too much oil by the previous owner?

An issue with the bike that BMW need to review?

Thanks for any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20200126_154345.jpg
    20200126_154345.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 252
It's a difficult one to assess, but could be he just over oiled the K&N. My reaction, viewing a low mileage bike from afar, would be to clean up the air-box & fit the correct OE filter - then check again in a thousand miles or so.

............ https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...16-K21-BMW-R_nineT_0A06,_0A16_&diagId=13_1118

You don't mention the general performance of the bike, or whether it shows any significant oil consumption, so I am assuming all is well otherwise - obviously the correct sump oil level needs to be observed rigorously ftb.

As above, not easy to judge from the photos but, its not drippy and running so could well just be from the filter being generously oiled.
Don't forget, you should have an engine breather in there as well.
Engine not really run in til you get past 20k so should be using some oil along the way - say half litre/per thou is reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom