Migsel siidestand fitting issues?

Vulpine2

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Greetings from NZ.
I've brought a few bits over from the UK to fit to my '89 r100gs, including a Migsel stand. This was bought secondhand, as new and apparently never fitted. Never been happy with the original stand, easpecially with a heavily laden bike, and the Migsel seemed to be the answer. Not overly impressed with the finish but I can live with that. However, there seems to be a major issues with the fit.
It bolts into place easily enough but cannot then be operated - one of the angles of the hexagonal head fouls on the weld of the exhaust collector. My options seem to be grinding down either the weld (but I don't want to hole the exhaust...) or the stand (but I don't want to weaken it...).
Hoping to sort this soon as I'm off to the South Island in a couple of days. Anybody else had a similar issue and if so, how did you solve it?
Cheers, Rob

I didn't have a problem with mine, a photo might help to understand the problem. I have sold my bike now so cannot take a picture of mine.

Different bike I know (but not that different) does your migstand look like this - not sure how the hexagonal head (I assume you mean the bit at the top of the main spar?) can be anywhere near the collector box???

Attachments

• g:s side stand.jpg
    g:s side stand.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 664
I had one on my 1992 R100GS and I seem to recall that part of it was very close to the exhaust, I think it was the main plate part of the stand though and not the hexagonal part of the leg.

Thanks for the replies. Been on the road for the last few days, ran out of time to sort this. As far as I can work out the main plate is located in place using the rear engine bolt and then clamped in place before then attaching the prop stand. Trouble is this can only be fitted either deployed or retracted - it cannot be moved between the two because the head fouls on the exhaust Which kind of defeats the purpose! I'll try and add a pic to clarify once I'm back (couple of weeks)

Here's a couple of pics of mine if that helps?
0e62096665ee565efbc1c5b816b65b9c.jpg
faf4137eff6d649f4941eb07143d90c5.jpg
3d009dffa0d90751deb5755a6fbc95f6.jpg

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

Difficult to tell, but it doesn't look like the right collector box/exhaust to me, or its bent/misrouted in some way, or its "bitsa" system......That said, im not 100% familiar with that bit of paralvers, I suspect someone who is will be along in a mo...

EDIT - in fact, is it even collector box at all? Looks more like a link pipe of some sort to replace the collector box, in which case thats most likely the issue - poor dimensions of the replacement part pushing the pipes outward beyond the frame.

Difficult to tell, but it doesn't look like the right collector box/exhaust to me, or its bent/misrouted in some way, or its "bitsa" system......That said, im not 100% familiar with that bit of paralvers, I suspect someone who is will be along in a mo...

EDIT - in fact, is it even collector box at all? Looks more like a link pipe of some sort to replace the collector box, in which case thats most likely the issue - poor dimensions of the replacement part pushing the pipes outward beyond the frame.

I think the pics are not of the OP 's bike.

As Bmuur thinks, these pics are not of my bike - but they will be very useful for when I get back to base and have another crack at this (thanks Hogie). Currently in Christchurch, contemplating the Burt Munro rally but the weather's being uncooperative...

Not so much I'm afraid.
Had a great trip but it bugged me everytime I lhad to use the precarious OEM stand to lean over a heavily loaded bike. 2000+ miles around the South Island down to the Munro festival so I was a bit knackered by the time I got back and ignored the bike for a week or so before having another look as part of general maintenance.
I thought maybe I'd mounted it wrong somehow but there is only one way to fit it - mounting plate located using the rear engine bolt & clamp around the frame tube. Can't move it away from the collector box due to the way the plate is clamped in place.
Same issue as before - when all bolted up one of the external angles on the hexagonal head lies above and so closely alongside the raised weld of the OEM collector box that the stand can't be pivoted. We're talking a couple of mm here - but it's enough to stop the stand being deployed.
Decided to see if I could ease the exhaust position as part of a general assault on various cylinder oil leaks and I got into this before I remembered about pics (and fun with removing exhaust nuts).
So, my apologies for lack of photos as these would have clarified what I'm on about but mounting and stand is exactly as per Hogie's pics. Having just looked at them again .. Hogie, if you're still there, be grateful for a close up ot two of the hexagonal head. In your first pic it looks like it might be machined slightly differently. maybe a little waisted aound the pivot bolt area?

Current state of affairs is that the bike is partially dismantled in NZ. I brought the heads with me when I had to come back to the UK a few days ago, probably pending a visit to Mikeyboy when the current madness ends. Stay safe out there.

Do these pics help?

Attachments

• DSC_1568.jpg
    DSC_1568.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC_1567.jpg
    DSC_1567.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 419
They do. That's exactly what I've got. Bottom pic clarifies that the hexagon head around the pivot bolt is not waisted, it's just the side on view of where the slot is cut into it to fit the 'tongue' of the plate. Top pic clearly shows the angle of the tongue as it's fitted to the plate. I'm wondering if this is a little too acute on mine, hence the interference with the collector box. Tricky to confirm this now of course!
If not resolved when (eventually) refitting the exhaust I guess there are a few options :- 1.smooth off the relevant angle of the hexagon and the grind down the weld on collector box 2. cut/reweld the tongoe of the stand or 3. lose the collector box by fitting 2-1 pipes. Pros and cons for all of them.

They do. That's exactly what I've got. Bottom pic clarifies that the hexagon head around the pivot bolt is not waisted, it's just the side on view of where the slot is cut into it to fit the 'tongue' of the plate. Top pic clearly shows the angle of the tongue as it's fitted to the plate. I'm wondering if this is a little too acute on mine, hence the interference with the collector box. Tricky to confirm this now of course!
If not resolved when (eventually) refitting the exhaust I guess there are a few options :- 1.smooth off the relevant angle of the hexagon and the grind down the weld on collector box 2. cut/reweld the tongoe of the stand or 3. lose the collector box by fitting 2-1 pipes. Pros and cons for all of them.

Back
Top Bottom