Garmin Express wont let me change the target folder for downloading maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After finally managing to download Mapsource, I now have another issue. I am trying to downloading the mapping as I get an erroe message in both Mapsource and Basecamp stating that "Windows is searching for City_Navigator_Europe_NTU_2020.30.gmap"

I have tried a search of the PC but have come up with a blank. So I tried reinstalling the mapping using Garmin express. However the target location on the PC is the "I: drive which is the SD card in the Garmin 590. I cant change that location. Image below ( though for some reason wrong orientation).

The only thing I have done recently is deleted Mapsource and Basecamp from a windows 10 netbook. The location is one I specified when using the the laptop. The Laptop & PC were not sync.
Any ideas on how I can sort this?
Cheers Baz

Attachments

• IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 747
Tried that as well as reinstalling Mapsource, Basecamp & Garmin express. Thanks

You could always install the maps to the default location and then move them to where you want and then create a shortcut to them and place it in the default location,this does work on pc could not tell you about mac.

I just get an error message when the install is almost complete.

Sorry just re read your first post, try setting your express settings to just download to pc, and see if that helps, looking at that default directory in your pic i can see that will be an issue, it is picking for some reason your I drive and not C drive, have you by anychance at any point tried to send it to i drive, such as maybe when you first tried to install it, also what happens when you click the search button at the far end of the install path box, does an explorer ladder box show up.

Sorry just re read your first post, try setting your express settings to just download to pc, and see if that helps, looking at that default directory in your pic i can see that will be an issue, it is picking for some reason your I drive and not C drive, have you by anychance at any point tried to send it to i drive, such as maybe when you first tried to install it, also what happens when you click the search button at the far end of the install path box, does an explorer ladder box show up.

I havent got an I: drive anywhere that I am aware of. The serch button / icon does not do anything, I cant delete the path and type in manually either.
Garmin supprt havent been too helpfull, just pointing me to various help pages, which I have already looked through.

I am going to see if anything happens if I copy the missing "City_Navigator_Europe_NTU_2020.30.gmap" folder from my netbook into the Garmin folder in my PC C: drive. ( Downloading it now).
Thanks for your thoughts.
Baz

Well that didnt work.
Opening Garmin express now I dont even have the search button fr the target location anymore, it just defaults to I:programs\Garmin\Maps.

Just noticed that “Programs\Garmin\Maps” is a folder on my Netbook, but I don’t have an I:drive anywhere. It is on the D: drive on my Netbook. How would that appear on my PC?

Well that didnt work.
Opening Garmin express now I dont even have the search button fr the target location anymore, it just defaults to I:programs\Garmin\Maps.

Just noticed that “Programs\Garmin\Maps” is a folder on my Netbook, but I don’t have an I:drive anywhere. It is on the D: drive on my Netbook. How would that appear on my PC?

default on the PC is to create a Garmin folder on the C Drive, assuming this is the primary drive. You can change the location during the install

I would delete all Garmin stuff on the PC and use one of those utilities to clear any remnants lurking in the PC registry that reappear on an install. Then install Basecamp first, to the location you also want the map data to live. Then install Garmin Express, then install maps. Once this is all working okay, install Mapsource if you actually need it.

Garmin Express should pick up the location you selected on installing Basecamp.

The utility I have used to clear crap from my Windows PC is https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php which is free.

You say you have no I drive anywhere, and yet you say you do QUOTE ( the target location on the PC is the "I: drive which is the SD card in the Garmin 590.) now i realise this is not on the pc and is the sd card on the Nav, but when the nav is connected to the pc it becomes an external usb drive I, what i suggest you do is take the sd card out of the unit before plugging the Nav into the pc this should do away with your I drive, and then just download the maps to pc only and then transfer the maps from pc to Nav using map installer. not saying it will work but worth a try. it may6 then allow you to change the default path, or may default to what it should be C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps if using windows.

Ill try the suggestions.
Thanks

default on the PC is to create a Garmin folder on the C Drive, assuming this is the primary drive. You can change the location during the install

I would delete all Garmin stuff on the PC and use one of those utilities to clear any remnants lurking in the PC registry that reappear on an install. Then install Basecamp first, to the location you also want the map data to live. Then install Garmin Express, then install maps. Once this is all working okay, install Mapsource if you actually need it.

Garmin Express should pick up the location you selected on installing Basecamp.

The utility I have used to clear crap from my Windows PC is https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php which is free.

That did the trick. Thanks to all who offered assistance.

That did the trick. Thanks to all who offered assistance.

You haven't seen the invoice yet :p

I should not be paying £12 a year to pass on nuggets of information to make life easy for you lot.

My magnificence should be crowd funded.

You haven't seen the invoice yet :p

I should not be paying £12 a year to pass on nuggets of information to make life easy for you lot.

My magnificence should be crowd funded.

All hail, wessie!

A good thread. A bod turned up with a problem. Fellow bods did their best to help him, a successful outcome was obtained (reasonably quickly) and thanks was offered in return. An example to others.

Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom