Gaerne G All Terrain boots

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It was time for a pair of new boots so I did a mini tour of a few local dealers to see what was on offer, how many beer tokens I’d be shedding and which ones felt comfortable straight out of the box.

For the last few years I’ve alternated between Sidi Adventures and Daytona Roadstar GTX depending on whether I planned to depart from decent road surfaces but the Sidi boots were never what I’d call truly comfortable for long days and I always left them off until the last possible minute and the Daytonas though as comfortable as a pair of slippers were never going to save my feet or ankles from anything more than a pleasant slide on tarmac with no chance of a sudden feet first stop.

Anyway, in the end it came down to Forma Adventures or Gaerne All Terrain and though marginally heavier the Gaerne boots won the day mainly because I actually trust Gore-Tex to keep my feet dry in torrential rain but also because the very nice dealer knocked £50 off the price bringing them below any other dealers where you can actually try boots on rather than buying off the Internet then having to return them if unhappy. I could have saved another £10 by buying off eBay after getting the size right in the local dealer but that’s a shit trick to pull and you end up with the local dealer closing if everyone does it.

So far so good. I’ve only tried standing up on the bike while it’s on the stand due to having a finger currently held together with superglue and steristrips but they felt nice and solid so they should be good for bouncing around on the pegs while off road and then spent an hour or so wearing them in the house and they’re comfortable even when ratcheted up tight.

Once my digit has healed I’ll give them a thorough test then report back with a more in depth review though hopefully not including crash protection or bilblical rain :D

I've been using Gaerne boots for years. Comfortable straight out of the box. I have the Oiled Balance boots, although these ones you have look like a better boot.

Just to let you know, you can buy replacement soles from Trials UK or Dirtbike Express. I bought a pair for about 30 quid and my local cobbler resoled my boots with the soles and charged me just under £20. Gave me another few years of use of a really comfortable boot!!

I've been using Gaerne boots for years. Comfortable straight out of the box. I have the Oiled Balance boots, although these ones you have look like a better boot.

Just to let you know, you can buy replacement soles from Trials UK or Dirtbike Express. I bought a pair for about 30 quid and my local cobbler resoled my boots with the soles and charged me just under £20. Gave me another few years of use of a really comfortable boot!!

That’s worth knowing.

I think the biggest difference between the boots you have and the ones I’ve just bought is the GoreTex liner which is something I wanted to get if possible.

Yeah, that would be worth it. Mine keep the water out for a bit as I regularly wax them, but they're really not long term waterproof even though they claimed to be.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with them long term, although I have 2 pairs of the Balance boot, as I bought a second pair which were ridiculously reduced in a sale and it seemed rude not to. They'll last as long as the leather does. Gaerne boots are a properly made boot so can be resoled multiple times, so could last for ages.

My first pair of Gaerne (1995) split around the crease where the foot bends, although I didn't wax them at all and they dried and split.

I've had my first of the current 2 pairs for at least 10 years and they're still going strong. Especially with new soles.

Yeah, that would be worth it. Mine keep the water out for a bit as I regularly wax them, but they're really not long term waterproof even though they claimed to be.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with them long term, although I have 2 pairs of the Balance boot, as I bought a second pair which were ridiculously reduced in a sale and it seemed rude not to. They'll last as long as the leather does. Gaerne boots are a properly made boot so can be resoled multiple times, so could last for ages.

My first pair of Gaerne (1995) split around the crease where the foot bends, although I didn't wax them at all and they dried and split.

I've had my first of the current 2 pairs for at least 10 years and they're still going strong. Especially with new soles.

Would you get a pair of riding jeans over the top of them as i am interested in getting a pair.
cheers Doc

I came to the conclusion to go for the lightest boots I can with decent protection. Off the bike heavy boots are a PITA and adds to fatigue so I’ve narrowed it down to the Forma. Haven’t bought them yet, but fingers crossed they work out.

If not I’ll look at the Gaerne :thumby:

Would you get a pair of riding jeans over the top of them as i am interested in getting a pair.
cheers Doc

My riding jeans go over the top, I can even get a pair of normal jeans over them IIRC.

My riding jeans go over the top, I can even get a pair of normal jeans over them IIRC.

Thanks,They look comfortable for walking round in through the day when off the bike.Presume the gore tex pair is the better one to buy ?

Thanks,They look comfortable for walking round in through the day when off the bike.Presume the gore tex pair is the better one to buy ?

I would assume so. See what Andy says after he's been in them for a bit.

I would certainly recommend the brand as really comfortable boot from day 1. Just note, I usually take a 7 or an 8 and I need a 9 in these. You may want to try some for size.

I would assume so. See what Andy says after he's been in them for a bit.

I would certainly recommend the brand as really comfortable boot from day 1. Just note, I usually take a 7 or an 8 and I need a 9 in these. You may want to try some for size.

Ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom