Minor mishaps and rusty water...

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A minor mishap t'other day saw my 250 exc-f most definitely not 'shiny side up'....:eek::augie which resulted in the top side of the front mudguard being scratched.

Anyway, that's not the issue and I'm fine thanks for asking:D...the issue is the rusty water that was running out of the little hole in the frame near the headstock..

I assume the water got in there from washing the bike and riding wet trails etc .
The bike is new and has only done 400 miles so it's not as if the water has built up over a few years.

It's slightly worrying that the frame could be corroding from the inside out and I just wondered if it's a known problem and if there's a solution for it?
I might just lay it down with the rear wheel on a big block of wood , let it drain out, then chuck a good dose of acf-50 in the little hole.... I don't fancy drilling a hole in the lowest point of the frame to allow the water to drain out.

I realise it's not often that they are upside down so the 'problem' might not be recognised but thought it was worth running it by the collective.
Cheers.

If you have water in the frame, check that there aren't any blocked drain holes.

This stuff is good. The aerosol comes with a 600 mm extension pipe with spray at the end which will get in most places. It's very fluid when applied so penetrates well, then sets to a waxy finish. Feed it in as far as it will go and spray while pulling it out. 1 can will do, but the pipes can break / split / get damaged, so worth getting a spare or 2. Once dried off for a week, make sure the drain holes are clear.

https://www.bilthamber.com/dynax-s50

If you have water in the frame, check that there aren't any blocked drain holes.

This stuff is good. The aerosol comes with a 600 mm extension pipe with spray at the end which will get in most places. It's very fluid when applied so penetrates well, then sets to a waxy finish. Feed it in as far as it will go and spray while pulling it out. 1 can will do, but the pipes can break / split / get damaged, so worth getting a spare or 2. Once dried off for a week, make sure the drain holes are clear.

https://www.bilthamber.com/dynax-s50

Thanks. Will have a look at that stuff.

Don't worry the frame will last a lot longer than the engine :D
It's not a bad idea to lay the bike down on either side when washing anyway so it can be cleaned properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom