Scenic motorcycle sat nav for iOS

Giles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody using this?

I have ditched my dedicated satnav and am using my i-phone. To date Ive been using the TomTom app, the only downside to the app, is that it can only support something like 7 way points.

Searching the net I have come across 'Scenic' which is getting excellent reviews, and can import gpx and google maps routes. The appeal for me is touring where I can build a bespoke route from my lap top and send it to the app. It seems a really good system ... ??

:beerjug:

I used it a couple of years ago and liked it, but there was bug that ended up with me getting a refund. If you didn't have an internet connection at the point of closing the app, the maps or route (can't remember which) could corrupt and wouldn't open again without re-downloading the whole app and maps. As I was on a trip on the continent re-downloading wasn't viable. The developer was very good about it, acknowledge the problem and suggested a refund, saying it would be addressed in a re-write.

It has recently been totally re-written, and if I didn't now have a Nav VI I would be giving it another go. If I remember correctly, features cost 'credits', and you get so many credits for free and then buy more as needed. It gives you chance to test out what's important to you, and then pay if you're happy it serves your purpose.

Yes, I see the credit thing on the website. All the reviews i read are very encouraging, and I love the simplicity of creating a route on google maps and then just sending it to the app. That beats feckin' base camp hands down!

:thumb2

I use it and like it a lot. You can set it so it doesn't bloody try to reroute you via the quickest option as well.

It's not quite as simple as creating a route on Google maps and sending it to the app (unless I am missing something). You need to turn the Google map into a GPS file using something like mapstogpx.com, then drag that into the Scenic web app, which will then send it to your phone. Scenic do have a direct Google map converter now, but it's in beta still and has been a bit fussy the only time I tried to use it.

You can also create routes directly on your phone, track and log rides etc as well as using it for nav. It takes a little bit of learning, but it's very good.

One thing that annoyed me though was if you had distances set to miles, it would give you distances to turns in feet and not yards. And strange numbers of feet too - "prepare to turn left in 1324 feet". I just switched it to kilometres and lived with that. Don't know if this has been fixed or not.

I use either Navmii for general riding point to point or Maps.me if I want to upload a route.

I also use Beeline with a little Beeline Moto display thingy which is quite nice if you want a wander and finally end up at your destination.

Scenic I've not heard of, but I may have a look if people think it's worth it.

What I like about Navmii is you get UK/Ireland maps for free, and you can buy other maps for that 'abroad'. These are then on your phone, so you don't necessarily need data roaming to get the maps. Not sure how Scenic works.

Maps.me has free maps, but you do need to download them ahead of time, if you don't have data roaming.

Scenic is a spin off from (or linked to) the excellent Kurviger app.

It works well.... but so does BaseCamp, unless you are a chimp :augie :D

I’ve been using it for several years now. The latest version is a significant improvement and offers loads of good common sense functions.

It’s dead easy to plot routes on an iPad or laptop and transfer to your phone, and of course the Kurviger app is excellent. You can download maps to your phone so you don’t depend on signal coverage.

I’ll be ditching my Nav 6 shortly and just using Scenic and Waze in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use it and like it a lot. ...

It's not quite as simple as creating a route on Google maps and sending it to the app...

I think V2 is that simple.

Create a route on google maps, copy the link in the browser bar, and paste it into a box on the motor mappers website ! Its that simple.

Yes .... I'm a chimp .... :blast

Did have a bug where if you tracked a route, converted it then ran it, it would struggle and fail to reroute you.
It HAD to pass you through that waypoint, etc.
Sacked it off in France after the third time around a set of roadworks trying to exit a ring road.
Not tried it since as a Nav purely as a tracker/recorder.

Did have a bug where if you tracked a route, converted it then ran it, it would struggle and fail to reroute you.
It HAD to pass you through that waypoint, etc.
Sacked it off in France after the third time around a set of roadworks trying to exit a ring road.
Not tried it since as a Nav purely as a tracker/recorder.

Agreed, that was irritating. It’s fixed now in the latest version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Download Pocket Earth to your iPhone/iPad - install a couple of continents, no internet required unless for route creation or modification as it uses a third party routing engine (Mapquest). Uses OSM so always up to date mapping data (also available with contours and Wikipedia)

In use for several years and imports .GPX files

ps. have installed anti vibration mount for iPhone 7 camera issue, report will follow with better weather

Scenic also didn’t let you save a waypoint from the map, very irritating. I used it in Aus and Mongolia and it was good apart from that, meant I couldn’t waypoint features along the way.
Has that been fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having played with it for a day or so, (and having bought a years premium for twenty odd quid), it seems that all these sat nav apps have their strengths and weakness’s. My TomTom app is very accurate with speed cameras and pretty good at live mapping and re-routing. So for a ‘get me from A to B’ app, or a run in the background commute/ re-route me if there’s a problem ahead app, it would be my preferred choice. (It’s great on the M25 with the zillion gantry cameras).

But a half day spank with the boys, meeting at the side of the road and with heads together deciding ‘this road, then this one, then that one ... ‘ Scenic would plot that in a jiffy (much more easily than TomTom). It also looks like it’s going to be great for pre planned routes and holiday itineraries; pasting a gpx file or a google map route and saving as ‘day 1, day 2 ..’ etc couldn’t be easier ....

Have you tried Waze? Very good for speed cameras and you get live updates of locations where constabulary or camera vans are lurking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven’t ..!

But no offline maps, I believe, and no route planning. Good for a to b though

But no offline maps, I believe, and no route planning. Good for a to b though

You can do a simple A to B route plan and add in stops. It’ll give you the fastest route, and update if things change along the way - so if a road is closed or there’s very heavy traffic it’ll re-route you on the fastest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

An update !!

Kurviger !

For a chimp it is just soooo easy to plot a route on Kurviger, and then, one click of a button, send it to my Scenic app. Open app, Import route, (might be the odd quirk which is rectified in the blink of an eye with a way point tweak) and good to go.

This is the best setup I've found to date for creating your own routes. (As opposed to a simple 'get me to this destination / post code' route that you might use at say, work.

Very good. :thumb2

The chimp is evolving.

:D

You could just as easily create the bespoke 30 mile ride from Hawkhurst to Maidstone services (M25) in BaseCamp or Mapsource. But hey, Kurviger is very good, particularly at answering the midnight hour question: “Me and my six mates are leaving home tomorrow and need a route to the Alps. No motorways.”

Back
Top Bottom